2 + Nothing for music and HT: help a not-yet audiophile ;) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2 + Nothing for music and HT: help a not-yet audiophile ;)

whizzywhig
03-28-2009, 09:55 AM
hi,

in a few months i plan to change (if recession doesn't crush me....) to change my old crt tv with a new lcd unit, and - most importantly - get something that can sound acceptable.

the budget is really tiny, and my priorities are not boomy action movies but music listening instead (mostly jazz, classical, a bit of rock - i'm more interested in midrange - bass performance) thus i was thinking to skip tweeting rear satellites and the sub and focus on a simple, straight pair of decent speakers.

if i go for this solution, what do you suggest me? brands? how can i avoid shopping mistakes? any special warning about how should i structure the sound output chain (wires, ampli)?

thank you in advance and...
sorry for my terrible english

elapsed
03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I went along a similar path a few years ago, it sounds like a 2-channel stereo system would be the way to go as your priorities are focused more on music than on home theater. A few questions to get you started -

1. What is your budget?
2. What are the dimensions of your room?
3. What are your sources (e.g. turntable, cd player, blu-ray player, dvr, gaming consoles, etc)
4. Do you prefer loudspeakers, bookshelf speakers, satellite speakers?
5. Will this be strictly 2-channel, or are you also considering a subwoofer?
6. New or used?

As for brands, I'm sure we can recommend speakers plus a nice integrated amp or stereo receiver, however audio is very subjective so your best bet is to go and audition for yourself and see what you prefer. But first we'll need to know your budget?

cheers,
elapsed

Mr Peabody
03-28-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you wanting speaker suggestions only or a whole system and it helps if you define "tiny budget".

If not needing surround sound in amps I'd suggest looking at the NAD integrateds. They start cheap and are a good bang for the buck. Cambridge Audio is another to listen to in a budget area. If wanting surround sound at some point look at the same brands HT receivers. Actually, NAD makes some "All-In-One" units where the DVD/CD/tuner & amp are all in one box.

There are several budget speakers I tend to recommend B&W or Paradigm as a start because I'm familiar with them. Acoustic Energy is good too but they have a flat response, good midrange without the bass or treble being emphasized.

The best way to shop is to find a place that allows for in home audition. Then you know how it sounds in your room with your music. Second best is buy from a place that allows a 30 day return policy so if you would happen not to like something you can return it. If no home audition try to listen to as much stuff that's available to you so you can get an idea of what's out there and how they compare. If in different stores it's not apples and apples but it beats a picture in a magazine.

I always encourage those putting a system together to buy the best source the budget will allow. If the info isn't extracted off the disc in the beginning nothing you can do from there will allow you to hear what is lost. Many don't get it and want to put all the money in speakers but this way only gives you good sounding budget music. A system has to be balanced so the signal is maintained as well as it can be until it reaches your ears but the signal starts at your source.