Weight Loss [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss

L.J.
03-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey everybody. I was just starting a thread because I am proud of myself :biggrin5: I have been lax with my weight over the past few years and decided this was my year to make changes. I am proud to say that I have lost 27 pounds since Jan. If I loose 3 more pounds, my sis owes my $100. She didn't think I would do it this time so we made a bet. My long term goal is to loose another 35 or so pounds this year. My short term goal is to loose another 5 or so pounds before our vacation in May/June.

My secret....I stopped eating and drinking so much. I now eat half of what I use to and have slowed dramatically on the fast food. I also have been more active with everything I do. I have joined a gym and plan on swimming for exercise. I was in a motor cycle accident in the past and my leg is still kinda messed so I need low impact workouts.

I can't believe a few months ago I weighed 262. I now weigh 235 and I feel great. I was having problems with indigestion, heart burn and all that stuff. i no longer have a problem with.

Anyways, I remember reading of another member here trying to shed some pounds as well so I figured why not start a thread.

Rich-n-Texas
03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Good for you L.J. I need to lose about 30 more pounds. I lost 17 last year by doing basically the same thing. I was eating large at lunch AND dinner during the week, so I cut back to just a sandwich at dinner time. Wonna these days I'll get motivated again and get over to the fitness center at work too.

audio amateur
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't seem to gain weight no matter how much I eat. It's really nice :D
I wouldn't gain weight if I tried.. I'm stuck around 160 pounds.

Good for you who are losing weight. I can imagine it ain't easy.

L.J.
03-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I can imagine it ain't easy.

Actually, it has been easy. I still eat whatever I want. I just eat a lot less of it. 4 slices of pizza has dropped down to 2. A large cheeseburger is now a kids burger. I try not to eat too much fast food but sometimes we have no choice.

JSE
03-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Good job L.J. It's hard to lose weight. Keep it up.

I lost 70 lbs about 3 years ago. I also cut back on the portions but I also cut out white flour, white rice, most dairy, fried foods and all but olive oil. I eat a lot of protein, veggies, brown rice and whole grain/wheat breads and pastas. That combine with more exrcises really shed the pounds quickly.

Now that I am lighter I have focused on overall health and fitness. Been working with a trainer for about 5 or 6 months. My fitness and strength have improve dramatically. I can do things now that I have not been able to do since high school.

My buddy and I are thinking about joining a MMA gym here in town. Another friend joined a couple months back and he has really improved his overall fitness level. They use the same basic trainer methods the fighters us. It's been kicking his butt. Just the training though, No fighting involved.

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
That's fantastic L.J.! The hardest part about losing weight for me is getting motivated. I have been various weights throughout my life. But like most people, I could stand to lose a few pounds. My metabolism turned against me when I turned 30 and I've been struggling with my weight ever since. I lost almost 20 pounds last year, and like you said, once you put your mind to it, it's not that hard. It's all about making better choices.

Congrats to Rich and Cartman too!

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't seem to gain weight no matter how much I eat. It's really nice :D
I wouldn't gain weight if I tried.. I'm stuck around 160 pounds.

Good for you who are losing weight. I can imagine it ain't easy.

I hate you. :prrr:

audio amateur
03-27-2009, 02:22 PM
I hate you. :prrr:
You shouldn't hate anyone FA. That's what my mother always told me :D

JohnMichael
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Great job L.J.! Keep up the good work. I am also losing weight. I finally decided to take my diabetes seriously. Cutting out the quick converting carbs and sugar has helped me. I take two diabetes meds twice a day that I hope I can reduce or stop entirely. I would love not to do my finger sticks. Oh and if you love pasta try Dreamfields it has only 5 grams of digestible carbs. Very good for weight loss and diabetics.

bobsticks
03-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Swimming, L.J., swimming!!

Congrats on discovering the first 50% of the puzzle. We as Americans tend to drastically overeat and portion control is a great first step and, obviously, provides immediate and measurable results. You are, as always, "the mang"...

Peace, brother

Mr Peabody
03-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Way to go LJ!

You've stumbled upon the only true diet. Calories in vs calories out. You can either cut the calorie in take or increase activity that burns calories or for best results do both. This also has to be a permanent change in lifestyle or the weight loss will only last as long as the eating change.

Carbs eventually turn to fat if not used, so easy on the pasta and bread. Sweets are obviously bad too.

Don't forget weight training. Everyone is so cardio crazed but you'd be surprised the results of even light weight with lots of reps can do. When you lift weights your body burns calories while you are sitting still. Lifting is a real must for those in a desk type job. Break the muscles down andlet them repair while you sit. The best routine is alternate nights, one lift and the other do cardio. This gives a day for the muscles to repair.

A friend of mine bought this book about diet based on blood type and it was very accurate for my wife and I. She likes meat and I could care less. Per this book according to our blood type this was right on. It was weird. It went on to mention other foods our blood type should eat and it was more stuff we enjoy or crave. I'm talking basic food. Chocolate cake wasn't for any blood type :)

I wonder if Audio Amateur has a Mickey D in his neighborhood. If that don't make you gain weight then nothing will..

audio amateur
03-28-2009, 04:31 AM
I believe the sugar in sodas is partly responsible to how fat Americans are. I don't know many countries where people drink sodas morning noon and night (this isn't just a can, we're talking supersize cups at Mcdonald's and free refills). Obviously this doesn't apply to all Americans, including me as I am American). There's a LOT of sugar in just a can of Coke. People don't realise. I'll bet you there's no less than 400 calories in a supersize cup of soda.

What I've noticed also, is the amount of sugar in American food in general. Sugar EVERYWHERE. Sugar in bread? WTH?? I can really taste it as well, because there's so much of it. And it's not only in bread either... Most Americans probably don't realise because they're so use to it. All this sugar intake eventually turns to fat if not used, and again, the majority probably don't know this either.
These things contribute to an increasingly fat America (and not just America, more and more, people here are eating unhealthily and an increasing number of kids are overweight/obese).

ForeverAutumn
03-28-2009, 04:44 AM
I love to read about nutrition. I don't buy into the theories of no carbs or eating for you blood type. I believe in just making healthy food choices. Carbs are fine, necessary even. But you have to choose the right carbs. Whole grain bread and pasta over processed white bread and pasta; brown rice over white rice; etc. Simple carbs (processed) are empty calories with no nutritional value. Complex carbs (unprocessed) are full of fibre and vitamins and, therefore, healthier and more filling. The problem that most people have with carbs is that they eat white bread with butter or mayonaise or margarine on it. But a nice low cal whole grain bread, with a tsp of low fat hummus is more filling and nutritious and about a 1/3 of the calories. Stay away from white breads with fattening spreads and white pasta's with creamy or oil based sauces and repace them with whole grains and low cal/low fat toppings and you can still enjoy your carbs (in moderation).

If anyone is interested, I'm currently reading a great book about nutrition and weight loss from the Mayo clinic. The book also includes a 12 week menu plan with recipes geared towards healthy weight loss and overall good health.

http://bookstore.mayoclinic.com/products/bookDetails.cfm?mpid=2

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

audio amateur
03-28-2009, 04:45 AM
I wonder if Audio Amateur has a Mickey D in his neighborhood. If that don't make you gain weight then nothing will..
Is there a Mickey D in Colorado or San Fransisco? Never been to one. I'll be in the US in a little more than 2 weeks :D :D :D

This counters my previous thread, but I can't wait to stuff my face with Taco Bell, Taco Bell and more Taco Bell :yesnod: and all the other franchises I've been dying to pay a visit :blush2:
Haven't been in the land of the free for four years...

L.J.
03-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Hey thanks everybody! I've done plenty of research on health over the years but I always manage to go back to eating whatever I want. This time around I decided to be as simple as possible. JUST EAT LESS. No menus, no special diets, no planning...just eat a lot less. I guess it was difficult at first because I'm not use to pushing my plate away when food is still on it. We were always told to finish all our food when I was a kid so maybe that just stuck with me as an adult.

Hey Mr.P, I actually got into weight training a few years ago. Actually about 5 years ago. I lost over 60 pounds back then and was down to my high school weight.. I worked out with a buddy for maybe a year or so. I focused on lean protein and all that good stuff. Turns out my buddy was my motivation. He is no longer able to work out due to illness and I just kinda got bored on my own. Fast forward several years and not only did I gain the 60 pounds back but I added on more :out:

I'm sad to say that I'm one of those people that has a full gym collecting dust in the garage. I have all the tools I need to accomplish my goal. I just have to stay motivated this time.

Rich-n-Texas
03-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Way to go LJ!

You've stumbled upon the only true diet. Calories in vs calories out. You can either cut the calorie in take or increase activity that burns calories or for best results do both. This also has to be a permanent change in lifestyle or the weight loss will only last as long as the eating change.

Carbs eventually turn to fat if not used, so easy on the pasta and bread. Sweets are obviously bad too.

Don't forget weight training. Everyone is so cardio crazed but you'd be surprised the results of even light weight with lots of reps can do. When you lift weights your body burns calories while you are sitting still. Lifting is a real must for those in a desk type job. Break the muscles down andlet them repair while you sit. The best routine is alternate nights, one lift and the other do cardio. This gives a day for the muscles to repair.

A friend of mine bought this book about diet based on blood type and it was very accurate for my wife and I. She likes meat and I could care less. Per this book according to our blood type this was right on. It was weird. It went on to mention other foods our blood type should eat and it was more stuff we enjoy or crave. I'm talking basic food. Chocolate cake wasn't for any blood type :)

:yikes:

Good Lord!!! You're my Fitness Trainer!!! :sosp:

Right on Mr. P. :thumbsup:

Mr Peabody
03-28-2009, 08:11 AM
FA, we didn't go on any "blood type" diet but what was interesting is, for example, my blood type the food they listed were things that I already prefer to eat and the same for my wife. Her type told her to eat meats and things she already liked, where mine suggested to avoid meat and eat vegetables, fruit etc. I could very well live without eating another piece of meat, it just don't do anything for me. I love fish and seafood though and eat fresh fruit and vegetables when available. This is just what I prefer and found it quite interesting that this book was so accurate. My wife however if she didn't get some meat for a long period I don't think I could fall asleep in the same room :) Ravenous :) It's hard to just dismiss something that is so accurate. I think what LJ did was the best thing just eat what you like and eat less. Having to eat certain foods and food you wouldn't ordinarily eat is already putting the odds toward failure because the change has to be permanent.

Self motivation is difficult and it seems like the time of day keeps getting shorter.

There certainly is a lot of sugar in soda. We also need to learn to grab healthy snacks instead of sugar filled confections. Ahhh, how long would I have to work out to enjoy just one jelly filled glaze donut........

Ooooo, talking about ruining your vacation. You probably want to avoid Taco Bell.:) It's funny years ago I used to eat there a lot, one of my favorites. Now I don't eat there any more. I don't know why really. I think it's because they got away from basic stuff and started mixing too much stuff together. Or, it could be that the places in my area just don't do a good job of preparing the food. A lady was on the news one morning and displayed some McDonald's food that looked like it just came out of the bag, some of the items was over a year old. She said, what kind of preservatives are in this food that it don't spoil, it isn't right not to see mold or discoloration on this food. Pretty scary presentation. Hard to tell the kiddies though, no more Happy Meals :) Thinking about our food supply is depressing so I will stop since I'm sure you all are there now.

ForeverAutumn
03-28-2009, 09:16 AM
FA, we didn't go on any "blood type" diet but what was interesting is, for example, my blood type the food they listed were things that I already prefer to eat and the same for my wife. Her type told her to eat meats and things she already liked, where mine suggested to avoid meat and eat vegetables, fruit etc. I could very well live without eating another piece of meat, it just don't do anything for me. I love fish and seafood though and eat fresh fruit and vegetables when available. This is just what I prefer and found it quite interesting that this book was so accurate. My wife however if she didn't get some meat for a long period I don't think I could fall asleep in the same room :) Ravenous :) It's hard to just dismiss something that is so accurate.

Actually, now that you've explained it, it sounds pretty interesting. I have the same food interests as you do. I could easily live w/o meat and have for long periods of time. But being a full-time vegetarian can be a huge inconvience. The last time I had a steak was 27 years ago!

I'm curious. What blood type are you? I'm A positive.

Mr Peabody
03-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Actually, now that you've explained it, it sounds pretty interesting. I have the same food interests as you do. I could easily live w/o meat and have for long periods of time. But being a full-time vegetarian can be a huge inconvience. The last time I had a steak was 27 years ago!

I'm curious. What blood type are you? I'm A positive.

* Bingo, we match, I'm A+ as well. This is terrible I can't remember my wife's, I'll ask her later and post back.

L.J.
04-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Hello everyone. I thought I'd pop in and give an update. It's been about a month since I started this thread and I'm proud to say I've reached my short term goal early :p

I'm down to 227 now. I've lost about 5 inched off my waist and I'm feeling great. I have so much energy now that it's crazy. Can't believe I was at 262 not too long ago.

Anyways, I hope all is well with everyone and the rest of you guys/gals are doing good with your weight loss goals. I'll be back to update in a month. My goal is to be under 200 by the end of the year.

ForeverAutumn
04-24-2009, 09:33 AM
That's fantasic L.J! Good on you! You're inspiring.

kexodusc
04-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Way to go LJ!

Excellent advice.

I burn as much calories in hour or pressing, pulling, and squatting as I would running. I f'n hate cardio. Hate it. But you have to do it too. I do it on my "off days" when I'm not lifting.

A few years back I found out I was diabetic. Gaining 30 lbs in 6 months probably should have been my first clue but I'm a text book example of someone who has to limit carbs to avoid fat gain.

If I eat 3000 calories per day, 40% dead animal, 40% sweet potato, oats, veggiterribles, etc, and 20% fats I won't gain a pound of fat. If I eat 3000 calories consisting of 20% dead creature, 50% carbs and 30% fats, I'll put on a good pound a week. And I'm sleepy, and fatigued all the time and just feel like crap. And my blood sugar could be a 10 or higher (bad).

You nailed it Mr. P. 90% of the battle for weight control is calories in vs calories out though. That's why whenever I order a double whopper and large onion ring, I only get a diet coke. :biggrin5:

Anyway, LJ - Good job bro...you're making me feel awful guilty about the snickers bar I just woofed...

GMichael
04-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Good Job LJ. You da man!

Kex man? A snickers? Really? One of those things would send my count over 200.

ForeverAutumn
04-24-2009, 10:28 AM
I looooooooove Snickers. But I'm sittin' here with a big bowl of baby carrots and a sliced red pepper. The red pepper is yummy but, I ain't kidding myself, it's no Snickers. :(

kexodusc
04-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Good Job LJ. You da man!

Kex man? A snickers? Really? One of those things would send my count over 200.
...but sooooo worth it....mmmmmmm

L.J.
04-24-2009, 11:08 AM
MMMMM snickers. That use to be my favorite :frown5:

GMichael
04-24-2009, 11:13 AM
You three are killing me. I haven't had a snickers in ages.

ForeverAutumn
04-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh, you know what else I love? Malted Milk bars. I think it's the same as a 3 Muskateers bar in the US.

GMichael
04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Oh, you know what else I love? Malted Milk bars. I think it's the same as a 3 Muskateers bar in the US.

A 3 Muskateers is a Snickers without the nuts.

L.J.
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
My weakness is Carl's Jr. Lucky for me the nearest one is 3 miles away or I'd be 350lbs right now.

ForeverAutumn
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
A 3 Muskateers is a Snickers without the nuts.

Oh, that would be a Mars bar then. Malted Milk is similar but the stuff inside is a little lighter and fluffier. As chocolate bars go, it's relatively low in calories. A mere 234 calories or about 25 minutes on the eliptical machine. :biggrin5:

My weakness is Carl's Jr. Lucky for me the nearest one is 3 miles away or I'd be 350lbs right now.

My husband wanted to go to a Jack-in-the-Box while we were in Vegas. We've never been to one. I wouldn't let him go.

GMichael
04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
We had a Jack-in-the-box in my home town. You weren't missing much.

Mr Peabody
04-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey, LJ you are going to be in style now with your old pants hanging mid butt. Of course, with 5 inches gone you may need a rope to keep them up any where :)

3 Musketeer is more close to what FA was saying. Snickers inside is more neuggett and firm where the 3M is more whipped, don't you think? Or, it could be closer to a Milky Way. My weakness is donuts, cake and pie, good thing I have limited access.

kexodusc
04-25-2009, 01:26 AM
My weakness is donuts, cake and pie, good thing I have limited access.
My weakness includes these, but throw in chips and nachos as well...pretty much anything you shouldn't have....except liquorish....hate that vile polymer.

GMichael
04-27-2009, 04:57 AM
Cheesecake!

L.J.
04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Anything with NUTS!!

ok, way too ez.....

HardissonHard
10-25-2021, 04:24 AM
Hi pals, if anyone here is looking for a supplement for slim body and smoother digestion why don't you check this product called Bio X4 reviews (https://www.biox4nucific.com/reviews) here, check more information at this website. It is a powerful four way defensive strategy against unhealthy cravings, digestive issues, and metabolism in an easy to use formula.

vickyi
12-15-2021, 04:51 AM
If you want to lose weight, it's really important to eat healthy food and sandwiches can be good too, like for example this one from https://www.edelweissbakeryfl.com/blog/loose-meat-sandwich-recipe/ with loose meat, just don't eat too many of them and I'm sure that everything will be fine. I wish you good luck.