b&w and onkyo sr605 help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : b&w and onkyo sr605 help

shoemakesmusic
03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I've got htm61 center and the 601s? I think for the L&R going to a tx-sr605 Onkyo.
I originally bought the b&w because they sounded great when listening at the store. I already had the Onkyo. But I feel like there just isn't very much "crispness" to the audio. I've tried some different eq settings and it sounds "good", but I'm just not satisfied.

Anybody have any advice on some things I could try? It's a fairly large room with hard wood floors.

Thanks!

f0rge
03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
what kind of amp where they using at the store? yamaha?

shoemakesmusic
03-25-2009, 10:27 AM
that's the thing...I can't remember. I don't think it was Denon or Rotel. Could have been Yamaha.

f0rge
03-25-2009, 11:38 AM
b&w's can be hard to drive, but the 601's drivers arent that big, plus the onkyo should be quite high current.

it could still almost be anything, from your CD player to your receiver to the room acoutics to the speaker placement. i guessed yamaha because they are sometimes considered bright, which you could also equate to a "crisp" high end

shoemakesmusic
03-25-2009, 12:09 PM
yeah, I'm sure my room acoustics aren't great. I mainly watch tv which is running out of my Directv receiver hdmi to my Onkyo then hdmi to my tv. I just feel like I have to turn it up really loud to get the details I want. And even then, it's just not quite right. I wish I could explain it better.

My center channel is right up against the wall and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

BadAssJazz
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
How long have you had the B&W's? Maybe they're just not broken in yet.

BadAssJazz
03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
I mainly watch tv which is running out of my Directv receiver hdmi to my Onkyo then hdmi to my tv. I just feel like I have to turn it up really loud to get the details I want. And even then, it's just not quite right.

Also, for TV/Cable audio, I had to cycle through the various sound field effects to find one that I liked. My Comcast box is hooked directly via HDMI to the 805. Maybe I'm just finicky that way, but I can't leave the AVR on Neo or DPL when watching movies or sports on cable TV. Possibly true for you as well?

shoemakesmusic
03-26-2009, 05:19 AM
the B&W left and right channels are about a year old. The center is only a couple of months. So I would think that is enough time to break them in, but I'm not expert.

At BaddAss:

I usually leave the settings to Dobly Digital. Is this good, bad?

Rich-n-Texas
03-26-2009, 05:33 AM
For stations that broadcast in Dolby Digital (most major networks) yes, leave it on that format. Unlike BadAssJazz though, I use Neo 6: Cinema for TV stations that don't have DD. Just personal preference like he says.