Podium PA Speakers? Any good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Podium PA Speakers? Any good?

ohm1
03-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Anyone use them or have them or ever tried them out or heard them anywhere? Good Quality? Better than Gemini and the rest? how about compared to JBL and others? Thank you for your help everybody :D!

Worf101
03-24-2009, 04:26 AM
I've been playing for pay off and on since Nixon was President. I've used just about every brand of sound reinforcement from JBL to Mackie to Yamaha to my fave EAW, you name it, I've used it. I've NEVER heard of this bunch. You were smart to ask before buying.

Da Worfster

basite
03-24-2009, 08:50 AM
never heard of them...

for what are you looking to use them??

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

ohm1
03-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I put a couple of things in Bold-- These are the Podium Speakers--15 inch

# 1000 Watts RMS per pair & 2000 Watts Max per pair (500 watts RMS EACH SPEAKER!)
# Sensitivity is 103db with 25-20,000 Hz Frequency Response
# Woofer is a Deluxe 15" 8ohm 90oz Driver
# Wide Dispersion Titanium Membrane Tweeter
# Four Ports
# 1000 Watts Max Output from each Speaker
# Combination XLR and 1/4" Jack Input & Volume Control for Microphone
# Two XLR Inputs for Two Additional Components
# XLR Line Level Output for Additional Powered Speakers
# Master Volume, Treble, Mid and Bass Control Knobs
# Angled, Rugged, Lightweight ABS Plastic Cabinets with Rubber Feet and Handles
# Pole Mounts with Knob Adjustment for Stands
# Stack able
# Height 27.5" x Width 19" x Depth 16" per Speaker
# 55 Pounds per Speaker
The frequency range is perfect and the
How about Pyle-Pro Speakers? (The Podium Speakers are something new and sound like something very good!! :D!) You ever hear of Pyle-Pro?: It's 300 Watts RMS. Quality? Thank you very much for your help :D! The second picture of front and back is Pyle Pro

(PYLE-PRO)
Brand New
1000 Watt Powered 15" Two-Way Plastic Molded Loudspeaker

# 15" Woofer
# 1.75" Titanium Compression Driver
# Full Featured 3 Channel Mixer
# Dual XLR and 1/4" Mic Inputs
# XLR & Stereo RCA Line Input
# XLR and 1/4" Line Outputs
# Master Volume, Bass & Treble Controls
# Frequency response: 30-22 KHz
# Power Output: 300 Watts RMS, 1000 Watts Peak
# Crossover Frequency: 2.2K Hz
# 110/220 Voltage Selectable
# 35mm Speaker Stand Mount
# Dimensions: W 20" (f) 12" (b) x D 16" x H 28.5"
# Weight: 56 lbs
# Wheels & Handles Included

Maybe if you have a phone number or something I could reach you. my number is 516-782-2573. I am kind of in a rush to get Speakers

ohm1
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
For gigging--One Man Band--Keyboardist--with a singer/DJ, etc... Wedding Ceremonies, a home, ballroom, wtvr :D!

Worf101
03-24-2009, 09:47 AM
For gigging--One Man Band--Keyboardist--with a singer/DJ, etc... Wedding Ceremonies, a home, ballroom, wtvr :D!
This information helps. If I were you I'd buy used off of the bay or Craigslist. Why? I monitor both in my area and nationally daily. The downturn in the economy has forced a TON of D.J.'s and bands to give up the ghost. Lots of recording studio's as well are going under. I'd say for your application look for used EAW, superior to all named thus far, or powered Mackie or JBL's. Trust me things are pretty cheap in the local used market right now.

Da Worfster

ohm1
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
hey if your on, worf101, could we talk on aim? Could you tell me if the spec I listed help? ok? are they posted? can you see them? podium

Kevio
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I've never heard of this company either. Even if accurate and complete, specs usually do not tell the whole story. Proceed with caution.

ohm1
03-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Could I rely on customer reviews on their products from their website? (Podium?) here's the link--the product I want is PP1502A
http://www.onlyfactorydirect.net/ser...ustomerreviews

From Charles S. about Podium Pro Audio's PP1501A Powered Speakers.
I was shopping online for powered speakers for my backyard parties. I was really interested in Pyle's powered speakers, but they were so expensive. Then I found OFD!!! The PP1501A had the same specs as the Pyle's, but were alot less money. So I bought them. I LOVE THESE SPEAKERS!! I just plugged my ipod into the speakers and now my parties are jumpin'!! I can't thank you enough OFD, THANKS!!!

From Steve H. about Podium Pro Audio's powered PP1202A and 1502A speakers.
I had the opportunity yesterday to play the pair of PP1202A's I got for a few hours yesterday and they are the real deal. The sound is just awesome,the quality is outstanding and compares to systems costing much more. I just got in my PP1502 speakers in and they are awesome. As you know I bought the PP1202A last month and they are equally as good. These are without question excellent quality products and I could not even think of spending for a mackie or JBL when I have you guys. The sound of these and the quality is just outstanding and I feel these items are among the best purchases I have ever made. I do not know how you sell such quality for so little. I know people question on the web how you do it and say they must be junk but I Have done this for years and If I was in the market for a mackie or JBL I would buy yours anyday as they are an outstanding value.
Thanks again,
Steve H.

MikeyBC
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
SVI junior

ohm1
03-24-2009, 07:05 PM
huh? seriously

RoadRunner6
03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I've been playing for pay off and on since Nixon was President.....Da Worfster

Holy Grandpas and Grandmas Batman!

Nixon ..... wow ..... I remember he was the Pres when I was in Vietnam. I used to jam with some of the guys with my kuzoo. However, we did it for free.

Anyway back to the post. Do I detect an infomercial here?

RR6 :eek6:

markw
03-25-2009, 04:17 AM
When I did sound and we had contempary christian concerts at our church, we had a company come in and set up some quad amped EAW speakers. Those sucka's rocked! Loud, clear, deep, and detailed!

I've got nothing but respect for them. Of course, having the proper equipment upstream is important, too.

nicko
11-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I bought a pair of podium pro audio 1203a's a few months ago ago ive been blasting the crap out of them since at house parties.. they lack low end indoors for some reason however they sound very good out doors. I dont know a whole lot about PA's but i do own a pair of new KRK RP6's which are high quality studio monitors and i was impressed with the sound quality of the 1203a's. So far these PA's are proving to be good quality over all... perfect for a low budget dj or what have you.

americanease
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Podium is definitely the worst company I have ever dealt with. Within about a week of using the 1200c 3-way speakers for non DJ, live sound purposes, the tweeters have started to distort on one speaker. On the other there is something going on that sounds like a piece of metal is vibrating at mid frequencies or something, it's strange. After a few weeks of emailing (they do not provide a phone number) back and forth with their single incompetent customer service agent I got no where as far as expert advice. She just copied and pasted things off of the website (the font was different size where she copied and pasted) and constructed answers that told me nothing. I paid 60 dollars to send it back and have it repaired. When I finally got it back the problem persisted. She said the repair dept fixed it at first and then after a few more emails she said that there was nothing wrong with it. If that was really the case I would have been grateful for her words of relief but it was quite the opposite. So she sent me replacement parts, a woofer and a tweeter. I got the woofer but no tweeter. She said that they, the manufacturers of the speakers, do not have any tweeters. The only good I can do in this situation is write a truthful review in hopes that people will not experience the same thing as I did. These speakers are ephemeral to their core. Stay away.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM
When I did sound and we had contempary christian concerts at our church, we had a company come in and set up some quad amped EAW speakers. Those sucka's rocked! Loud, clear, deep, and detailed!

I've got nothing but respect for them. Of course, having the proper equipment upstream is important, too.

I have to agree with you on EAW speakers. My church uses their line arrays and subs, and the sound is excellent when you get it properly dialed in.

Worf101
01-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Podium is definitely the worst company I have ever dealt with. Within about a week of using the 1200c 3-way speakers for non DJ, live sound purposes, the tweeters have started to distort on one speaker. On the other there is something going on that sounds like a piece of metal is vibrating at mid frequencies or something, it's strange. After a few weeks of emailing (they do not provide a phone number) back and forth with their single incompetent customer service agent I got no where as far as expert advice. She just copied and pasted things off of the website (the font was different size where she copied and pasted) and constructed answers that told me nothing. I paid 60 dollars to send it back and have it repaired. When I finally got it back the problem persisted. She said the repair dept fixed it at first and then after a few more emails she said that there was nothing wrong with it. If that was really the case I would have been grateful for her words of relief but it was quite the opposite. So she sent me replacement parts, a woofer and a tweeter. I got the woofer but no tweeter. She said that they, the manufacturers of the speakers, do not have any tweeters. The only good I can do in this situation is write a truthful review in hopes that people will not experience the same thing as I did. These speakers are ephemeral to their core. Stay away.
Thanks for providing your hard earned opinion. I don't know if the original poster was a real person, a shill or just niave but I thank you for chiming in in response. If your posting can keep some other poor schlub from going through what you went through then it's well worth it.

Thanks again...

Worf

bobsynth
02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
I have a club on the internet, for musicians. a member said he bought a pair of the 8' versions of these, for monitors. However, they sounded so good that he used them in smaller venues as his system. So I bought a pair. He was right. They are amazing for the price. I now use them exclusively. I loved them so much I bought a second pair. I play synthesizer and guitar and sing. I do a one man band gig. I set these up at my regualar Sunday and Wednesday gigs, at 2 different clubs. I am now going to buy a pair of the 10" models for my weekend gigs, which are mostly private parties, at different vvenues. If you are gigging in small to medium clubs, you will love these. Bob Hughes

keyboards
03-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Podium is definitely the worst company I have ever ....

I don't have personal experience with these people, but I run a repair center for real audio equipment. One of my customers brought me one of his speakers to repair for him. In spite of the lifetime warranty, he said he was spending half the cost of the speakers on freight to send this back and forth to the manufacturer (or wholesaler). Basically, he has blown the tweeters in these two boxes 3 times in the last 5 months (either one or the other). When he called he had noted that I was a well respected repair & audio guy and he wanted me to replace the HF drivers with something that was going to hold up.

THese units use only a CHEAP passive 1st order crossover for the high end. Basically the amp (+ ) output goes directly to the woofer and also to a PTC (FRX075-60 1.50 amp hold for 6.3 seconds) that is in parallel with a 22 ohm, 20 watt resistor. THe other side of the resistor and PTC runs to a 3.3uF / 250V poly capacitor which runs to the (+) on the 8 ohm tweeter.

The woofer is a 4 ohm unit and coming directly off the amp module. I checked the amplifier output. Now bear in mind the back panel says "1000 watts max". The maximum line current I could pull was 3.1 amps RMS so that isn't it; the maximum audio I could get out of it was 242 watts RMS @ 1 KHz @ 5% distortion (clip) into a complex 4 ohm load , so that wasn't it either. I'd really like to find out where they got their ratings from.....thin air??

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there so some other unfortunate soul doesn't get taken in on these. I now understand why this guy keeps losing the high end on these; clip the amp and the tweeters get all the distortion, although this one in particular is suffering from the voice coil separating from the diaphragm on the high end.