New Decemberists disk tomorrow! Excited? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Decemberists disk tomorrow! Excited?

ForeverAutumn
03-23-2009, 10:27 AM
I am! I pre-ordered it from Amazon so I should get it on Wednesday.

3-LockBox
03-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I hear tell its a proggy, concept album. That means they'll cease to exist for many here. I'll be interested, but I dunno about excited.

ForeverAutumn
03-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I hear tell its a proggy, concept album. That means they'll cease to exist for many here. I'll be interested, but I dunno about excited.

I disagree. The Crane Wife was about as proggy as they've even been and it was hit here, if I remember correctly.

Slosh
03-23-2009, 12:43 PM
It's kinda like The Tain. Lots of loud guitars and even sorta old school heavy metal-ish at times. Of course there's still plenty of acoustic instruments as well and lead vocal duties are split up pretty evenly. I'm still getting to know it but I like it so far.

ForeverAutumn
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Very good. My only complaint about The Tain is that it's too short. So if the new sounds that good, I'll be happy.

Swish
03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
I disagree. The Crane Wife was about as proggy as they've even been and it was hit here, if I remember correctly.

Waaaaay proggier.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2009, 11:18 AM
The Tain was way proggier than The Crane Wife. Waaaaay proggier.

Swish

I agree with you. I stand corrected.

Swish
03-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I agree with you. I stand corrected.

...Táin Bó Cúailnge, usually shortened to 'The Tain' and translated means "the driving-off of cows of Cooley' (You can check it on Wikipedia like I did). It was a far cry from their usual 3 to 5 minute songs, although there were a couple on The Crane Wife that were lengthy and 'Prog-like' for sure. When I saw them on that tour, they played The Tain in its entirety for their encore. All in all it was a great show, but I hope they don't delve too deeply into prog. I liked The Tain to a degree, but I'd rather see a return to the style of Cutouts and Castaways rather than moving into that direction.

ForeverAutumn
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Okay, the new album is pretty proggy. I really don't understand how people can like this yet dismiss albums like Ritual's The Hemulic Voluntary Band or Beardfish's Sleeping in Traffic Part One.

All are quirky and melodic. The Decemberists is, to me, like a stripped down version of these other modern prog albums. Maybe Ritual has too many keyboards and not enough guitar? I'd bet that if listened to with an open mind prog-hating Decemberists fans might find something to like in these other two albums.

Or maybe I'm just delusional.

3-LockBox
03-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Okay, the new album is pretty proggy. I really don't understand how people can like this yet dismiss albums like Ritual's The Hemulic Voluntary Band or Beardfish's Sleeping in Traffic Part One.

All are quirky and melodic. The Decemberists is, to me, like a stripped down version of these other modern prog albums. Maybe Ritual has too many keyboards and not enough guitar? I'd bet that if listened to with an open mind prog-hating Decemberists fans might find something to like in these other two albums.

It ain't hip to like prog. :nonod:

Finch Platte
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
It ain't hip to like prog. :nonod:

Uh, Huey Lewis, right?