First timer amp/speaker advice needed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First timer amp/speaker advice needed

Singular
03-23-2009, 04:33 AM
I'm new here and know very little about audio, just looking for a bit of advice. I am looking to get a 'decent' pair of speakers and amplifier I can play my computer through. I have no need for a home entertainment system or anything fancy, just a couple of speakers and an amplifier (I guess) to play music through. I'd be looking at spending 200-300 GBP and from a perusal of a couple of sites that seems doable. I am just a complete novice and don't want to get anything more (or less) than I need. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

02audionoob
03-29-2009, 04:25 PM
You could connect the Line Out to something like an AudioSource AMP 100 and some small bookshelf speakers like the Energy C-100 or NHT Absolute Zero. It would help to upgrade your sound card if you haven't already. M-Audio makes a good audiophile card. Creative makes some decent ones, too.

Or maybe something like this...

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=studiomonitors

Mr Peabody
03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Just for listening to computer you can get a great set of powered speakers such as the Audio Engine. These sound great and have the amp built in. You can buy them direct or other online sites also have them like Amazon.com.

Singular
03-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Really just listening to music, the occasional movie as well. Looks like I can get a good deal on some Celestion F30 speakers which seem pretty nice. I want this system for listening to music which happens to come from the computer, not necessarily just sitting in front of.