Does anyone know The Rheostatics? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know The Rheostatics?

ForeverAutumn
11-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Although they've been a staple of the Toronto Indie scene for years, I hadn't ever heard their music. We caught part of their set last night at The Horseshoe Tavern and they were pretty impressive. Unfortunately, we're old farts and since they didn't hit the stage until midnight, we didn't have the stamina to stick around for the full set. I looked into purchasing a CD or two today not realizing that they have ten CDs available. Can anyone tell me which one I should start with?

Finch Platte
11-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Haw haw haw.

Sorry, I couldn't resist(or).

fp

Slosh
11-22-2003, 06:38 PM
This is Rave Recs after all. Troy submitted a great song for CRSv3 which I believe is called "It" (not home now so can't check the tracklist), which should make it a 2000 to 2002 release. I have no idea what album the track came from but definitely would like to hear more based on the strength of that one song. Speaks volumes, no? :)

Troy
11-23-2003, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I have 3 of their albums. I think the one called "Whale Music" is the most consistent. Took a chance on it in a $1 bin. It was from the early 90s (Truth be told, I've never been one to follow those must be new "rules" for the CRS discs) They are from western Canada and sound like a cross between CSNY and Frank Zappa with a dash of Dave Matthews. Kinda humorous and kinda western and lots of odd time. Nearly impossible to pigeon-hole their sound.

I thought they broke up years ago . . .

Slosh
11-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I have 3 of their albums. I think the one called "Whale Music" is the most consistent. Took a chance on it in a $1 bin. It was from the early 90s (Truth be told, I've never been one to follow those must be new "rules" for the CRS discs)

Nah, I don't really care and if I took a minute or two to search I would have found what album it was from. Point is it's a great song that I was glad to be introduced to and thought others should hear it too. Seems to me that's the whole point of these group comps anyhow.

NP: The Wrens - The Meadowlands

ForeverAutumn
11-24-2003, 07:21 PM
I have no idea what album the track came from but definitely would like to hear more based on the strength of that one song.

Can you go out and buy a half dozen of so of their CDs, listen to them and then tell me which one(s) I should buy? :p