Setup help for home theater [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Setup help for home theater

bobbycd
03-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi I have a kenwood vr407, panasonic pv-d4733s vcr/dvd combo, toshiba hdtv, and scientific atlanta 3250hd cable box. My problem is each device manual says to hook up a different way. I have it hooked up now where the sound is great for the dvd but for watching cable the reciever need to be full blast so obviously I have it wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated or even a point in the right direction. Thanks

Mr Peabody
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
You should tell us how things are hooked up now.

You should go from the cable box with a digital audio cable, probably optical, that's all I've seen those boxes use unless it has HDMI. Video can go to the receiver or direct to TV. If to receiver you can switch the video and audio simultaneously. I need to look up your receiver but I don't think it has HDMI. If not, use the optical digital for audio and component video for HDTV.

I'm not sure why the volumes would be so drastically different. Are you using a digital audio hook up for DVD? If not, you should. The only way you will get 5.1 from it. If the VCR is separate output and it probably is, it will have to be an analog connection using the RCA jacks and cables.