new Mastodon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new Mastodon

Duds
03-18-2009, 10:45 AM
listening to it on their Myspace page right now. I'm liking it a lot. Vocally it's a little different, not quite as aggressive, but still great and musically this album is awesome.

check it out!

Finch Platte
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
listening to it on their Myspace page right now. I'm liking it a lot. Vocally it's a little different, not quite as aggressive, but still great and musically this album is awesome.

check it out!

Yeah, I heard an advance copy of this and am awaiting anxiously for it to come to my nearby CD emporium.

A little proggy, methinks. :3:

And here's the linky. (http://www.myspace.com/Mastodon)

When Mastodon unveiled the next installation of its routinely epic cover art for forthcoming LP Crack the Skye, metalheads the world over could feel their double-bass-drum senses tingling. Then more details trickled out: Astral travel! Tsarist Russia! Stephen Hawking! Wormholes! A multi-part instrumental suite that'll send prog-heads running for their fox masks! (Are we sure this isn't a Decemberists album we're talking about here?) After three long years marinating in the studio, Crack the Skye will finally hit stores March 24.

Mastodon just revealed in a press release that as of today, Feb. 12, you can pre-order a deluxe "Tunnel Book" version of Crack the Skye at Mastodon's website (just in time for Valentine's Day!). The Tunnel Book will feature a handsome three-dimensional wormhole cover designed by longtime Mastodon illustrator Paul Romano, as well as a DVD with photos, track-by-track commentary, and a making-of featurette. All pre-orders will include an exclusive 14"x14" lithograph, and the first few orders will be hand-signed by the band.

3-LockBox
03-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I'll try to look for this in others collections before plopping down any money for it. I wasn't thrilled with Leviathon or the one that came after. If they reel in the vox, it could pique my interest. That drummer (if he's the same one on Leviathon) is incredible. Sounds like any old thrash drummer upon first listen, but he can pound incredibly intricate patterns at breakneck speed. I know it thrash metal, but if they could slow it down just a tad to show off some technical skill instead of just balls out speed, they could supplant Opeth as everyone's fave prog metal band.

Duds
03-19-2009, 05:39 AM
I think you'll like this one... :)

you didnt like Blood Mountain?

I'll try to look for this in others collections before plopping down any money for it. I wasn't thrilled with Leviathon or the one that came after. If they reel in the vox, it could pique my interest. That drummer (if he's the same one on Leviathon) is incredible. Sounds like any old thrash drummer upon first listen, but he can pound incredibly intricate patterns at breakneck speed. I know it thrash metal, but if they could slow it down just a tad to show off some technical skill instead of just balls out speed, they could supplant Opeth as everyone's fave prog metal band.

Mr Peabody
03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't think this is the Mastodon thread I was looking for but it will do. I'm sure Kex was on one that talked about the new album.

Any way Crack the Skye is getting good reviews and "vocals a bit different" is a bit of an understatement as all the growling is nearly gone. And, from what I read they did ease up on the throddle too. I saw where one of the members had a sister that commited suicide at age 14. I got the impression it happened some time between Crack the Skye and the last album but I'm not sure of that. To throw your life away at such a young age is beyond tradgic. I just thought the vocal styling and further Prog experimentation was worth emphasizing again for others like me who found them a bit over the top in the past. I like Metal but it has to have something to keep my interest and I don't find that typically in "Speed" metal.

Finch Platte
03-30-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't think this is the Mastodon thread I was looking for but it will do. I'm sure Kex was on one that talked about the new album.

Any way Crack the Skye is getting good reviews and "vocals a bit different" is a bit of an understatement as all the growling is nearly gone. And, from what I read they did ease up on the throddle too. I saw where one of the members had a sister that commited suicide at age 14. I got the impression it happened some time between Crack the Skye and the last album but I'm not sure of that. To throw your life away at such a young age is beyond tradgic. I just thought the vocal styling and further Prog experimentation was worth emphasizing again for others like me who found them a bit over the top in the past. I like Metal but it has to have something to keep my interest and I don't find that typically in "Speed" metal.

Skye is the drummer's sister, who committed suicide, way back when they were teens. :eek6:

I bought the version of the disc that comes with a DVD. The DVD has the making of the record, along with some personal bits that I appreciated, some of which were how much work they put into this disc, complaining/expounding about the sparse living when they were on tour(s) previous, and their glee at producer O'Brien bringing in vintage gear for them to record CtS with. I was hot & cold with this disc, but after seeing the video, I'm back to liking it. I think it's a dense disc that will reveal a buttload of music/ideas the more you listen to it.

Good readinig here: http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2009/03/mastodon-crack-the-skye/

3-LockBox
03-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Skye is the drummer's sister, who committed suicide, way back when they were teens.

if that's true, then 'crack' has a different slang meaning than it did when I was younger:confused5: