View Full Version : Anyone heard of BIC America Acoustech Series

Matthus
03-18-2004, 06:13 AM
I have found only one review
http://audaud.com/audaud/MAR04/component/comp1.html

They came out this year and Costco has the whole set for $699

markw
03-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Started in the early 70's as importers of British goods such as Wharfedale speakers and I believe Garrard changers. I know there were other brands, but their names escape me.

Later in the 70's, they stopped importing and came out with products their own products under the BIC brand. I distinctly hearing their "BIC Venturi" speakers back then. Simply another variation of a ported design which didn't impress me too much. I believe they also had record changers and, if I recall correctly, a two speed cassette deck back then.

Can't say I've heard much of that brand since then. Bot to say thay haven't been around but who knows the name of the company that owns McIntosh, Marantz, Denon Clarion and a bunch of other famous brands?

I've never heard them so I can'y say yea or nay though. That does look like a lot of speaker. Compared to the "suggest list price" in the article, this is almost a 50% savings. I can't really recall seeing that deep a cut on current merchandise.

There are other speakers out there but, on sheer quantity alone, few can rival that package.

Good luck if you take the leap. Let us know what you think.

Worf101
03-18-2004, 07:48 AM
but BIC America sells speakers designed here but manufactured in China. They make decent entry level stuff, but nothing to kill anyone over...

Da Worfster

Matthus
03-18-2004, 03:17 PM
I was just supprised that this reviewer picked them over the Klipsch Reference line...

erics0531
03-21-2004, 02:58 PM
OK, I'll fess up - I bought a set of these.

I'd been looking at speaker packages in the $750 price range, but hadn't seen anything that made me pull the trigger yet (I've been using a pieced together collection of JBL stuff that has been adequate, so I wasn't in any great hurry). Saw these at Costco last weekend, Googled the name and found the review you cited. But I was suspicious that there wasn't anything on the BIC site. So on Monday I called BIC and talked to their customer service person. I told her I read that review, and she said they are still in the process of setting up distribution, things should be ready in April (more on this in a bit).

Knowing that they were at least a legit BIC product I went back to Costo and piced up a set. Obviously you can't audtion stuff in a warehouse, but Costco's return policy is unmatched. I've had to return three laptops there in the past year, and never had the slightest problem - even on one that was over 4 months old.

Now I don't claim to be an audiophile (can't afford to be one!), but I'm a music and movie fanatic and I can tell the difference between good speakers and dreck. These speakers are not dreck. They are indeed made in China, but nothing about the construction says "cheap". They don't have those little flexy clips for the speaker wire connections, but have nice solid binding posts. As the reviewer noted the tops and bottoms of the cabinets are a beautiful lacquered finish. And they do sound very good. For $750 I think they're a bargain.

Now, why Costco and why such a discount off the list price? This is pure speculation, but based on what BIC said about having distribution set up in April I'm guessing that manufacturing got ahead of marketing here, and rather than pay the cost of warehousing these until their distribution arrangments were complete, they passed these on to Costco instead. Costco's buyers are notorius for taking advantage of those kinds of situations.

Anyway, given Costco's return policy I'd say go grab a set and audition them at home for a week or two. If you don't like them, box 'em up and take 'em back.

Worf101
03-21-2004, 04:51 PM
I just use it in my secondary, bedroom system... where I'm not looking for musical or sonic fidelity. I use there small surrounds and 53CLR center on my bedroom system... Not bad gear just nothing to write to Congress about. If it fits your budget and ears... that's all I care about... good listening..

Da Worfster :D

markw
03-21-2004, 05:32 PM
OK, I'll fess up - I bought a set of these....

Now I don't claim to be an audiophile (can't afford to be one!), but I'm a music and movie fanatic and I can tell the difference between good speakers and dreck. These speakers are not dreck. They are indeed made in China, but nothing about the construction says "cheap". .... And they do sound very good. For $750 I think they're a bargain.

Anyway, given Costco's return policy I'd say go grab a set and audition them at home for a week or two. If you don't like them, box 'em up and take 'em back.

I'm glad someone had the cojones to actually try these buggers. I was curious. Construction seems fairly solid? Good sign.. ...can't tell by pictures y'know.

All we were doing was babbling on and going on pure speculation.

I'm glad you like 'em. You don't have to be an awdeeofile to know what you like.

Oh, and thanks for taking the plunge and sharing. Let us know what's up after the honeymoon is over. good luck...

P.S.. your last sentence is pure gold. That goes for ANY speaker.

erics0531
03-22-2004, 07:38 AM
I just use it in my secondary, bedroom system... where I'm not looking for musical or sonic fidelity. I use there small surrounds and 53CLR center on my bedroom system... Not bad gear just nothing to write to Congress about. If it fits your budget and ears... that's all I care about... good listening..

Da Worfster :D

Yeah, I would agree that BIC are clearly in the entry level category, although maybe a notch above some others like KLH and what not. Actually they have a line called RtR which would be their lower end stuff, maybe they are trying to have an entry more towards the mid-range with this new Acoustech line.

erics0531
03-22-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm glad someone had the cojones to actually try these buggers. I was curious. Construction seems fairly solid? Good sign.. ...can't tell by pictures y'know.

Yes, they do seem quite solid. If I have the time I may unscrew one of the drivers today and check it out. Or I might just listen to a Pat Metheny DVD instead <g>

Matthus
03-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes, they do seem quite solid. If I have the time I may unscrew one of the drivers today and check it out. Or I might just listen to a Pat Metheny DVD instead <g>
I have a good sized room...how is the sub from a bass perspective?

erics0531
03-22-2004, 09:03 PM
I have a good sized room...how is the sub from a bass perspective?

The bass is pretty decent. What I particularly like about it is the absense of boominess, it's got a nice under control sound to it compared to some subs I've heard. Haven't really gone for the whack you upside the head volume test with it, although my wife cranked up Blue Crush pretty loud the other night (a little too loud in point of fact) and you could definitely feel the bass in the chest as the waves were breaking.

For reference our room is about 17' x 17', and the back wall is open from about 4.5 ft up into the kitchen level. I've got the sub about 1.5' away from the front wall, and about 4' from the nearest side wall.

DerProfi
03-23-2004, 10:14 AM
erics0531,

How do the fully-assembled front channel towers look? At the Costco I visited today they had them laying on their sides and I noticed two holes drilled in the lacquered base of each tower. I've got hardwood floors and I'm wondering if maybe there's some sort of pad that attaches into those holes to keep the lacquer from just resting directly on the floor.

Also, was the finish in pretty good shape out of the box? The ones I saw today were chipped in a couple of places and I wasn't sure if that was due to Costco or BIC.

(not directed to you erics0531 but to the thread in general)
As for all the comparisons to KLH being tossed around, I don't think that's accurate or fair. I've owned a couple of BIC speakers (my BIC center has an audioreview score of 4.87 with 70 votes) and although made in China as are many other respected speaker brands, they are in a totally different league. Having not even heard the Acoustech system, I challenge anyone to buy the "top-of-the-line" KLH system (if there is such a thing), A/B it with the Acoustech, and say that they're both "entry level" and essentially the same :D

erics0531
03-23-2004, 11:40 AM
erics0531,

How do the fully-assembled front channel towers look? At the Costco I visited today they had them laying on their sides and I noticed two holes drilled in the lacquered base of each tower. I've got hardwood floors and I'm wondering if maybe there's some sort of pad that attaches into those holes to keep the lacquer from just resting directly on the floor.

The towers (really all of the speakers) look fantastic. Those drilled holes in the bottom of the towers puzzled me, as there was nothing in the box to put in them. Curious indeed, especially since there were only two! I put four small felt type pads on the bottom of each speaker as we have laminate flooring where the speakers sit.

Also, was the finish in pretty good shape out of the box? The ones I saw today were chipped in a couple of places and I wasn't sure if that was due to Costco or BIC.

There were no cosmetic issues on any of the speakers I got - I did swap the center channel box that had been strapped to the others in my set for one that looked less abused when I picked mine up. There was a little slip in each box with a number to call regarding any cosmetic damage from shipping - different from the warranty number on the back of the speakers. They were well packed, so I would guess that the ones you saw took some abuse there at Costco.

(not directed to you erics0531 but to the thread in general)
As for all the comparisons to KLH being tossed around, I don't think that's accurate or fair. I've owned a couple of BIC speakers (my BIC center has an audioreview score of 4.87 with 70 votes) and although made in China as are many other respected speaker brands, they are in a totally different league. Having not even heard the Acoustech system, I challenge anyone to buy the "top-of-the-line" KLH system (if there is such a thing), A/B it with the Acoustech, and say that they're both "entry level" and essentially the same :D

Actually I think I was the one that brought up KLH :D . BIC does have a line called RtR which proobably *is* pretty close to KLH. Kind of off topic, but what happened with KLH? My dad still has a pair of vintage KLH speakers that must be circa late 50's, haven't heard them recently but I remember they sure still sounded good when I was in college in the late '70s early 80's. Now KLH has the dubious distinction of being sold at Fred Meyer stores (think Target with groceries).

DerProfi
03-24-2004, 06:15 AM
I think the story with KLH is the story with so many other former greats in the audio world like Akai, Sansui, etc. They used to make great stuff but eventually went out of business and now they simply license the name to some manufacturing consortium. In defense of the modern-day Akai, they mostly rebadge Samsung products so they're actually pretty good. KLH and Sansui, however, seem to have been hooked up with the stereotypical slave-labor-powered Chinese junk factories that everyone complains about :)

Thanks for the great info on the Acoustechs, by the way. I came this [--] close to picking up a set yesterday but I decided I could wait another day and see if you posted anything else. What are you driving them with, by the way?

erics0531
03-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the great info on the Acoustechs, by the way. I came this [--] close to picking up a set yesterday but I decided I could wait another day and see if you posted anything else. What are you driving them with, by the way?

Just a Pioneer VSXD711 - nothing special.

Matthus
03-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Just a Pioneer VSXD711 - nothing special.

I think that I am going to pull the trigger this week. I will keep you all posted

erics0531
03-24-2004, 10:11 AM
I think that I am going to pull the trigger this week. I will keep you all posted

FWIW I see that BIC just registered acoustechspeakers.com last Friday, so perhaps they'll have some more information up on the web before too long.

Debbi
03-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Cant find them anywhere....let us know when the have a site and where to look at them and listen

Matthus
03-26-2004, 05:26 AM
Cant find them anywhere....let us know when the have a site and where to look at them and listen

I found them at Costco

Matt F
04-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Hello all...

I am working for a company that is going to be conducting demos of the Acoustech HT speakers at select Costcos all weekend (April 3rd & 4th).

I will be at the Kirkland, WA Costco and have just completed setting up my area and can say that these speakers are a bargain at $1199, not to mention $699. They have a boutique quality fit & finish, audiophile performance and the $699 price tag is.....well, stupid.

The sub was designed & engineeded by Dr. Hsu (of HSU Reaserch), who has a doctorate from MIT and has been selling his award winning subs on the internet for years.

The horn tweeters (a key feature of these speakers) were designed by a PhD from Stanford who had Paul Klipsch as a student.

I invite anyone interested in this system in the Seattle area to come by for a listen this weekend. I might mention that this was a 'special buy' that Costco has made and they will not likely return to Costco once inventories are gone. :eek:

Debbi
04-02-2004, 02:39 PM
..if the PHD at Stanford had Paul Klipsch as a student....Paul died at about age 98 so his mentor would have to be about 125 years old today.....(I assume Paul taught him)...in any event, let us know when and if these things come to all Costco outlets...Im in Fla...Thanks

Matt F
04-03-2004, 07:30 AM
...I'll get clarity on this, but I guess his name is Dr. Bruce Edgar (of Edgarhorn). Who's Titan horn loudspeakers are recognized as a very high quality, low distortion horn. Distortion has long been an issue with horn style speakers, but Dr. Edgar has changed all that and his speakers are known for their wide dynamic range and ability to convey the power of musical instruments.

Well, I'm off to Costco to move these beauties into the marketplace. :D

DerProfi
04-04-2004, 10:16 AM
..if the PHD at Stanford had Paul Klipsch as a student....Paul died at about age 98 so his mentor would have to be about 125 years old today.....(I assume Paul taught him)...in any event, let us know when and if these things come to all Costco outlets...Im in Fla...ThanksYeah, I read "who had Paul Klipsch as a student" as "who studied with Paul Klipsch as a student."

DerProfi
04-06-2004, 06:02 AM
I picked up a set yesterday and wanted to pass along a little info.

1. Costco is selling these out fast and I don't think they're getting more.
The Costco I visited in Fairfax, VA only had 2 sets left + the display. As Matt F said, this past weekend some Costcos had marketers in the store to answer questions and give demonstrations. I asked if the store manager if the reps would be back sometime and when they expected to get more speakers in, and I was told "not" and "never", respectively. If people want to try these out, you'd better grab a set before the $699 price is gone.

2. Hsu Sub
For what it's worth, the plate amp on the Acoustech sub is a twin of the one on the Hsu STF-1 (http://store1.yimg.com/I/hsusubs_1786_145093), the only difference being that it doens't say "HSU" on it.

3. Sound
Mine are still breaking in with my $200 Panasonic SA-XR25, but so far I'm very impressed for the price.

Matthus
04-11-2004, 06:24 PM
I got them last night. I have not heard any thing for under three times the money that I liked better. They are not as bright as the Klipsch...but that is a good thing....If you are on a budget I say go for them

wje
04-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Damn, I live close to the Fairfax Costco store - and heard the "demo" a few weeks back. Very nice sounding speakers.

Given that I am in the market for either 1) Paradigm or 2) Klipsch Reference speakers, I actually forgot all about these given all the demos that I've recently heard.

I guess I should make my decision soon ... and move on these. :)

erics0531
04-13-2004, 06:54 AM
I've had mine for about a month now, and I am extremely pleased.

The only problem I had initially was some distortion when playing at high volumes, but I assumed (correctly as it turned out) that this was an amplifier issue. Having returned my cheap Pioneer and replaced it with a Yamaha HTR-5650 that's been resolved, and the overall tone warmed up a bit to boot.

Matthus
04-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Mine are breaking in quite nicely...the sub was OK at first. I watched the matrix Rev last night and wow. The sub is very nice in my room now and getting better.

Matthus
04-14-2004, 08:49 AM
If your Costco does not have them you can call call BIC direct. They will sell you some things direct. I purchased a second sub and they offered me a pair of centers if I wanted to go with 7.1.

erics0531
04-14-2004, 09:29 AM
If your Costco does not have them you can call call BIC direct. They will sell you some things direct. I purchased a second sub and they offered me a pair of centers if I wanted to go with 7.1.

Centers? I wonder why that as opposed to another pair of surrounds?

I was thinking about getting another set of surrounds, maybe I could barter with them - a pair of speakers in exchange for a course in Remedial Web Site Design ;)

As an aside, now that I've got everything calibrated the way I like it I had the neighborhood gaggle of kids laughing out loud yesterday after school as the couch shook while Darla tapped the fish tank in Finding Nemo.

Matthus
04-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Centers? I wonder why that as opposed to another pair of surrounds?

I was thinking about getting another set of surrounds, maybe I could barter with them - a pair of speakers in exchange for a course in Remedial Web Site Design ;)

As an aside, now that I've got everything calibrated the way I like it I had the neighborhood gaggle of kids laughing out loud yesterday after school as the couch shook while Darla tapped the fish tank in Finding Nemo.

They call the centers bookshelves??? The price was only $150 per pair...I have the sales managers direct number if ou are interested...

Matthus
04-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Got my 2nd sub dialed in....Thunder when watching the newest matrix

Matt F
04-21-2004, 09:57 AM
After how well the demos went at Costco a couple weeks back, they have decided to run one more day of demos at the stores that have product, but didn't run the original demo weekend.

So, I am at the Federal Way, WA store all day Saturday for anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma metro area that is interested in hearing these beauties sing. Bring your favorite (kid-friendly) DVD!

-Matt

Matthus
05-12-2004, 08:38 PM
anymore feedback?

After how well the demos went at Costco a couple weeks back, they have decided to run one more day of demos at the stores that have product, but didn't run the original demo weekend.

So, I am at the Federal Way, WA store all day Saturday for anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma metro area that is interested in hearing these beauties sing. Bring your favorite (kid-friendly) DVD!

-Matt

erics0531
05-14-2004, 08:26 PM
anymore feedback?

Still real happy with mine. I haven't seen them at Costso for a few weeks, so it may have been a one shot deal with them.

I'll try attaching a picture of my setup (crosses fingers). I wish my office door wasn't right there, *that's* where I'd put the sub...

CWS
05-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Took a leap of faith and ordered these direct from BIC on friday, should have them by the end of next week. Thanks for the picture they look great! I would love to see the back of them, binding posts if you could? I am really excited I had the Fluance sx-htb set on order since March but these looked really nice so I went for it and cancelled the fluance set. Also how did you mount the rears? I am thinking of putting them on speaker stands.

PuvMan
05-17-2004, 07:04 AM
Has anyone heard both the Fluance speakers, and the Acoustech system??

I just capatilized on both a Panny xr25 and a Yammy 5650, and now need to get a speaker set

i already have an Energy S10.2 sub, and also bought a cerwin vega V-12S (i think that was the model number)

Would you guy recommend the Acoustech system, or the Fluance. I feel i dont NEED a subwoofer, as i have two to choose from. and in that sense the Fluance probably will be cheaper.

Thanks for the help

Puv
=)

erics0531
05-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Took a leap of faith and ordered these direct from BIC on friday, should have them by the end of next week. Thanks for the picture they look great! I would love to see the back of them, binding posts if you could? I am really excited I had the Fluance sx-htb set on order since March but these looked really nice so I went for it and cancelled the fluance set. Also how did you mount the rears? I am thinking of putting them on speaker stands.

I mounted my surrounds on the side walls, there are brackets on the back of them.

Picture of the bonding posts, eh? Here you go...

CWS
05-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I mounted my surrounds on the side walls, there are brackets on the back of them.

Picture of the bonding posts, eh? Here you go...

Thanks, they look like very nice quality. I am hoping to receive mine this week!

entrylvl
05-21-2004, 06:25 AM
anymore feedback?
Hi,

After I heard the demo of these speakers at Costco Fairfax, VA I was impressed and came back and did a search and ended up reading the good reviews in this forum. I then bought these speakers, but could not get the same "sound" after hooking it up. I then thought it could be the receiver (I had a four year old Pioneer) and went to Tweeter to shop for a new Receiver: (Being a novice myself, I took the specifications of the speaker to the shop to buy a matching receiver in entry level).

- Bought a Denon 1604 (75 W per channel)
- Changed the speaker cables to Monster
- Bought a new SACD/DVD-audio (Universal) player (Pioneer DV563-A) since they told me that they play SACD for demos!

Here is my problem: I don't know how to describe it, but the sound I hear in my room (18' x 15 ') does not have the "richness" or the bang as I heard it at Costco or at the demo shop. I have the volume level around -32db and if I increase the volume it sounds better, but then it is too loud for our ears. I took the receiver back to the shop and when they played it there it sounded good. Now they say that it could be the speaker, and I hate to return the speakers since the price I paid was good and all the reviews are good. Please excuse me since I am not an expert on these; but I played with all the settings in the receiver and the DVD player.

Could some one help me please.

CWS
05-21-2004, 08:30 AM
I would be looking at possibly miswired connections, if you swapped polarity the + and - wires it might muffle the sound. Carefully check both ends of every speaker wire. I would then run a test disc like Digital Video Essentials and properly calibrate the speakers using a SPL meter (available at Radio Shack). The test disc may also reveal any possible problems with the speakers themselves (such as a blown driver). I am somewhat suspicious of the tweeter after being told on the phone that they would send replacement drivers if I found any broken upon receipt. Horn tweeters have a history of being somewhat fragile. You can also check for blown drivers by putting your ear up next to each speaker.

Mine are on the way delivery is scheduled for Monday!

entrylvl
05-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Thank you CWS. I checked the polarity earlier, and also other obvious issues. I went to Best buy, Circuit City and Radio Shack to get the test disk but they did not have it or did not know about it! One Radio Shack sales guys did not know about the SPL meter either :mad: ! I played with the Sub woofer settings, and the auto surround mode in the receiver,and this seems to have improved the sound and I am seriously thinking that this could be a mismatch between the receiver and speakers. Please let me know where do you get the test disk so that I could possibly identify the culprit.

Thank you.

CWS
05-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Here is a link to Digital Video Essentials at Deep Discount DVD, I buy from them all the time, free shipping but a little slow (up to two weeks to get stuff). Also available at Amazon.

DDD:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=VMG010712

Avia is also a good test/setup disc best buy carries it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=55265&skuId=3894245&type=product

Here is the SPL meter at Radio Shack take the part number to the store, they have it:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33-2055

I received my Acoustech setup yesterday and HOLY COW these are great speakers. Hard to believe the price I am very happy. Thanks for the others who reviewed them and especially for the pictures. Also if anyone else is interested in these I orderded them from BIC America just called their 800 number and told them I was interested. Same price as Costco plus shipping.

Teddyaudio
05-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Here is a link to Digital Video Essentials at Deep Discount DVD, I buy from them all the time, free shipping but a little slow (up to two weeks to get stuff). Also available at Amazon.

DDD:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=VMG010712

Avia is also a good test/setup disc best buy carries it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=55265&skuId=3894245&type=product

Here is the SPL meter at Radio Shack take the part number to the store, they have it:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33-2055

I received my Acoustech setup yesterday and HOLY COW these are great speakers. Hard to believe the price I am very happy. Thanks for the others who reviewed them and especially for the pictures. Also if anyone else is interested in these I orderded them from BIC America just called their 800 number and told them I was interested. Same price as Costco plus shipping.

I called BIC this afternoon since I do not live near a Costco. I have a quote plus shipping to my state for a 7.1 system (includes two subs and a second pair of surrounds). I wanted to know the weights since I have little ones. The people at BIC could not give me an answer. How easy could the Acoustech tower be knocked over? Also I asked the people at BIC about the connection between Dr. HSU and the Acoustech sub. He had something to do with its final engineering and sound according to BIC. I suspect that the Acoustech sub is more a HSU than anything else. That is for the better!

Thanks much

Ted

Matthus
05-26-2004, 04:03 PM
I called BIC this afternoon since I do not live near a Costco. I have a quote plus shipping to my state for a 7.1 system (includes two subs and a second pair of surrounds). I wanted to know the weights since I have little ones. The people at BIC could not give me an answer. How easy could the Acoustech tower be knocked over? Also I asked the people at BIC about the connection between Dr. HSU and the Acoustech sub. He had something to do with its final engineering and sound according to BIC. I suspect that the Acoustech sub is more a HSU than anything else. That is for the better!

Thanks much

Ted

I have two subs also....so does my buddy. You will not be dissapointed. The towers are a good weight. I would not wory about a dog or little person "tumping" it over. :D

CWS
05-26-2004, 04:22 PM
I can give you the shipping weights off the side of the box which would be mostly speaker:

Towers: 26 lbs. each
Surr: 30 lbs. for 2
Center: 18 lbs.
Sub: 42 lbs.

I already had a powered 10" sub and the Acoustech one complements it well! I have been shakin the house.

Teddyaudio
05-26-2004, 04:56 PM
I can give you the shipping weights off the side of the box which would be mostly speaker:

Towers: 26 lbs. each
Surr: 30 lbs. for 2
Center: 18 lbs.
Sub: 42 lbs.

I already had a powered 10" sub and the Acoustech one complements it well! I have been shakin the house.

Thanks to everyone for the input. My hometheater room is 34 long by 14 feet wide with an eight foor ceiling. It is in the basement. I will be using "one end" of the room with a 100 inch widescreen projector system. Do you guys think that the Acoustechs with the two subs will play adequately loud for movies in such a room? I can only play things a little loud when my wife is away. When we watch together, it is usually turned up because with my AR-HC6 system, at times we cannot hear dialogue. When I watch alone, I will turn things up, but not excessively so.

Thanks again,

Ted

Matthus
05-26-2004, 05:24 PM
My basement room is 30X 30 with a 15 X 15 cutout for the utilities. The system with two subs do a great job of filling room. With one sub there were some weak spots...now it is all good :cool: :cool:

CWS
05-27-2004, 04:28 AM
I have a large room approx 16 x 40 9' ceiling (living room open to kitchen/dining area) and I have PLENTY of sound for the room. In fact depending on the positioning of the sub I could probably get by with one. The second one seems to flatten the bass response around the room so I get better bass at all seating areas. These speakers are very efficient so getting it loud is not a problem. What type of amplifier will you be using?

Teddyaudio
05-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I have a large room approx 16 x 40 9' ceiling (living room open to kitchen/dining area) and I have PLENTY of sound for the room. In fact depending on the positioning of the sub I could probably get by with one. The second one seems to flatten the bass response around the room so I get better bass at all seating areas. These speakers are very efficient so getting it loud is not a problem. What type of amplifier will you be using?

Thanks again for the information. Suddenly, my "large" home theater room seems quite small in comparison. What size screens are you guys using? Man, I wish I had a room as large as you guys have. Those rooms are about double the size of mine. I am looking at the discontinued Harman Kardon AVR-7200 because of the great price they are selling them at ($850 online), or the new Harman Kardon, or perhaps the new Denon 3805 ($999 online) or the Yamaha RXV-2400 ($800 online). I figured that with the Acoustech's efficiency, I should be able to get a decent 7.1 receiver for $1000 or under (online of course). What receivers or amps are you guys using to fill those large rooms?

Ted

CWS
05-28-2004, 04:39 AM
I am using a Sony STR-DA3000ES, all the receivers you mentioned will have plenty of power to push these speakers. I have a 36" VVega for the TV, anything bigger will have to go to the basement later (Wife factor....)

BeerNut
05-30-2004, 08:57 PM

how were you able to order directly from BIC? I called and they said I could only get them from costco which is a problem for me since the nearest costco is over 3hrs away and i'm not a member.

Matthus
05-30-2004, 10:35 PM
how were you able to order directly from BIC? I called and they said I could only get them from costco which is a problem for me since the nearest costco is over 3hrs away and i'm not a member.

I just called them and ordered my extra sub. My buddy called them and got his whole system plus an extra sub

BeerNut
05-30-2004, 10:43 PM
thanks for the quick reply. I'll call them again and see if I get a different response.

CWS
05-31-2004, 04:57 PM
I just called them and ordered my extra sub. My buddy called them and got his whole system plus an extra sub

I told them that my Costco was sold out, she then directed me to another 800# where I left a message that I was interested in the speakers. Later a lady called me back and I ordered them. Ill post the other 800# tomorrow when I get back to work.

Beckman
05-31-2004, 05:31 PM
Still real happy with mine. I haven't seen them at Costso for a few weeks, so it may have been a one shot deal with them.

I'll try attaching a picture of my setup (crosses fingers). I wish my office door wasn't right there, *that's* where I'd put the sub...

With that kind of system in your living room it must be hard to spend time in your office.

CWS
06-01-2004, 04:47 AM
The contact to order direct is 888-338-9150 leave a message if no one answers.

BeerNut
06-01-2004, 01:54 PM
thanks for the number to order them directly. they were still trying to push the fact that they rather sell them in costco but she gave in after i explained to her the shipping charge would probably wind up being cheaper for me since i'm not a costco member, i would have to drive almost 4hrs, and pay sales tax.

erics0531
06-03-2004, 08:41 AM
With that kind of system in your living room it must be hard to spend time in your office.

You should see the system in my office. :eek:

Ha, just kidding. Actually I moved my old JBL ARC30 bookshelves (nice sounding for music, no matching center channel for HT) into my office. Having good sound for music in there helps me resist the temptation to sit on the couch all day.

jsm88
06-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Having used BICs for year and having been happy with them, this looks like a nice step up. Does anyone know if Costco is still carrying them? I can't find them on the Costco site, and if memory serves, BIC, while offering good support, tends to take their own sweet time shipping equipment. Any Costco insight would be appreciated.

erics0531
06-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Having used BICs for year and having been happy with them, this looks like a nice step up. Does anyone know if Costco is still carrying them? I can't find them on the Costco site, and if memory serves, BIC, while offering good support, tends to take their own sweet time shipping equipment. Any Costco insight would be appreciated.

I haven't seen them there recently. Try calling BIC, they'll try to point you to Costco anyway and maybe they know what the availability status is in your area.

BeerNut
06-10-2004, 11:40 PM
i just got my speakers in today. haven't really had a chance to set them up. i ordered them directly from bic. took a little over a week for them to arrive which isn't bad considering they were coming from the west coast and i live in louisiana.

Zippy
06-12-2004, 08:29 AM
I just bought the Acoustech package from Costco last week. I called up BICAmerica and I ordered 2 additional surround speakers. I am very happy with them so far. I almost bought a Klipsch package at GoodGuys, but I thought these looked better and I couldn't tell the difference in the sound..

I have never had a subwoofer before, so I have a question. What volume level do you set yours at? Do you change any of the other settings? Is there any certain movie I should test with? My room is 14'x43' (which includes the kitchen) should I add another sub?
Thanks

erics0531
06-12-2004, 09:35 AM
I have never had a subwoofer before, so I have a question. What volume level do you set yours at? Do you change any of the other settings? Is there any certain movie I should test with? My room is 14'x43' (which includes the kitchen) should I add another sub?
Thanks

There's a lot of variables here, including whether you have your speakers set to "Large" or Small" in your receiver. I found that mine sounded slightly better set to small (with everything below 80hz sent to the sub) so that's how I've got mine. I think my sub volume level is set at about 50%. Ideally you should find a test disc with bass tones that start very low and gradually increase to above the crossover. You adjust the sub level to where the tones sound equal in volume from the lowest (sub only) to the highest (mains only) while seated in the primary listening area.

Explorer
06-20-2004, 06:44 AM
Hi Zippy: Have you received the extra surround speakers to make 7.1 system? How do you like your new system? If you have a chance to do it again, what will you change? I am interrested to get this system instead of the Axiom M60 7.1 system at a lower cost. Thanks.

garypen
08-03-2004, 03:21 PM
I understand the price at Costco was/is $699 for the 5.1 set, and that BIC Direct Sales was/is matching that. But, how much is BIC Direct Sales charging for the H100 subwoofer alone? I see a number of you purchased additional subs.

I'm looking to replace my current BIC sub. While I've loved the rest of my BIC speakers, I've never been very happy with the sub. This new BIC Acoustech sub sounds like an excellent value!

jkh43
09-21-2004, 06:54 AM
I have these speakers and couldn't be happier! They are a big improvement over my previous system and I don't think it would be possible to get a better system from cheaper ($699 for 5.1).

I plan on adding two more of the bookshelf speakers for a 7.1 system. I am wondering if it would be better to have direct radiating speakers for the two rear speakers, or if the Acoutech speakers would be best (with the angled cabinet that sends sound in two directions). If I were to use the Acoustech speakers, would I want to point the horn tweeter for the rear two speakers towards the center, or towards the wall?

I am surprised that there isn't more buzz about these speakers, especially since you can order them directly from BIC if you can't find a Costco near you. I would love to hear more from other owners about their experience with these speakers. Has anyone been able to compare them with Klipsch speakers like the Audiophile Audition review did? I also think that I am going to keep my previous sub, so if anyone would be interested in the Acoustech sub, drop me a line.

lattybuck
09-24-2004, 11:42 AM
I am curious if the "BIC" you are talking about used to make turntables in the 70's? :confused: I seem to remember "BIC" and "Technic's" were 2 of the major brands for moderate priced turntable's in mid 70's. i.e. better than "Realistic" and slightly better than "Pioneer" but not quite the top level granite machines or one of those super expensive spacy looking units. I only remember because I remember almost buying one, i got the technic's instead.
Just curious.
Take care all