Control out jacks and remote jacks??? how to automaticly turn on amp?! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Control out jacks and remote jacks??? how to automaticly turn on amp?!

BLinindoll
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Hey everyone. I'm trying to research what the hell the "control out" jacks are on my yamaha htr-5990 receiver. I also have a set of remote out/in jacks. I'm pretty sure i know what those are for, but i am confused about the control jacks. the only info i can find on them is that they are "for factory use only." well thats not a good enough answer for me!

here is the main reason why i am asking. i just drove 7.5 hours round trip to pick up one of two onkyo m-501 amps (for $40 i might add, which is why i was willing to spend $26 in fuel, hehe.) it has a remote in jack, along with a "RI" jack. I know the RI has something to do with onkyo brand stuff, but i really want to know if i can somehow hook up my amp to turn on along with the receiver. once i get the second onkyo, im really not going to want to have to get up to turn on the two amps, and i obviously cant use the switched outlets on the back of the yamaha.

Is the remote jack on the amp kind of like the remote "turn on" terminal on a car audio amp? and is the "control out" jack on the receiver like the remote "turn on" wire on a car audio deck?

what can I do?!?!?

what does everyone else do?!?!

Auricauricle
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
If I can hazard an educated guess, my hunch is that the jacks are used to hook other equipment made by the same manufacturer (Yamaha) to allow all units to be operated by the same remote control. My Newcastle receiver has a similar array, yet I have a mishmash assortment of things that can only be controlled by a completely new universal remote that needed to be programmed by the various remotes. You're in for more fun yet, Blinindoll....

Don't know nuttin' about car stuff, Miss Scarlet!

BLinindoll
03-16-2009, 06:00 PM
yes, the "remote in/out" jacks are for what you explained, but the "control out" jack are another totally separate set of jacks.

My guess is that maybe the control jack sends a 12v signal when the receiver is powered on and the amp detects that 12v signal and also turns on when it is sensed. that's how it works in car audio, so maybe its the same idea? im hoping anyway, but someone around here has to know for sure.

Auricauricle
03-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Sorry. Didn't read your post as closely as I should've....Hmmmmmmmmm....

BLinindoll
03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I guess it would be pretty simple to test my theory using a volt-ohm meter and an 1/8" mono mini jack. I'll try it tomorrow.

Anyone else?

Rich-n-Texas
03-17-2009, 04:12 AM
What you're trying to do is "trigger" your amps to power on when your Yamaha powers on. I previously had an HTR 5740, but I don't recall off-hand whether it had a "Trigger Out" or not. I suspect that the "control out" jacks are used in home automation (i.e. when the unit is professionally installed). I could be wrong about that though. My current Yamaha does have a trigger out and I use it to power on my Emotiva 7ch. amp.

BLinindoll
03-17-2009, 11:44 AM
That's exactly what I'm looking for, Rich-n-Texas.

I did some testing just now and found out that the "control out" jacks are the same as "trigger" jacks. When the unit is turned on, it sends a 12v signal.

Now the question is, is the amp capable of receiving a "trigger" signal?

With a little more testing I answered that question. The answer is no. The amp only has a "remote in" and "RI" jack, which is meant to be used with other Onkyo components.

Looks like I'll be getting my lazy ass off the couch.... UNLESS I can figure out a way to wire some kind of 12v relay and use that to switch the amp on and off. That actually sounds like it would work! Now I just need some schematics of the M-501 to figure out where to tie in the relay. Actually, I can just tie it in to the current switch!

I'm excited now! Does anyone think this is feasible?

BLinindoll
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
**Moved To New Thread**

ericlecarde
12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Any idea where this thread went? I have the same question about remotely turning off and on my M-501's via my receiver. Thanks.