Need Floorstanding Purchasing Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Floorstanding Purchasing Help

hailfox
03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Hello AudioReview Forums,

I'm new to posting in the forums but I've been scavenging the forums looking for opinions for a couple weeks now. I am in the market for two floor standing speakers and a reciever but I need some advice since I am new to this sort of thing. The first thing I will say is that I am a college student and intend to use the speakers for both movies and music, but more music (70% I'd say). I hope to keep them for many years to come.

As for the floorstanding speakers I have narrowed it down to a couple brands that I feel fit my budget. I am looking for high quality speakers that have a warm sound throughout but also a smooth, accurate bass. So far I have:

1. Jamo S606 ($400 for a pair)
2. Infinity P362 ($400 for a pair)
3. Wharfedale 9.6 ($415 for a pair)
4. Infinity RS-5 (As part of a 5.1 system, $450)
5. There were more, I can't remember off the top of my head.

At any rate, $450 is the absolute most I would want to spend, and that is only because so many other things come with it.

The next thing I need is a decent receiver. I really don't want to spend much more than $200, but I also want some HDMI capability (I know, I want my cake and I want to eat it too). Optimally I would want to future proof the receiver a little bit (I forget what that is called, the step above HDMI pass through). I've been looking at Yamaha, Onkyo and Integra branded receivers.

So that is where I'm at right now, and now I'm stuck at narrowing things down any further. Could I get any assistance at this point!?

Mr Peabody
03-16-2009, 06:43 PM
If you want a receiver with fully functioning HDMI and "future proof" for a while any way, the least you will get off with is an Onkyo sr-tx606.

Infinity used to offer good sound but recent models I've heard seem to have gone down hill a bit. I liked some Jamo I've heard a few years back, not heard that model and I have never heard a Wharfdale. I've heard people say here they are really good for the money. Your best bet is to try to hear some of these if possible.

PDN
03-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Halifox:

Understand about your budget. A home theater AVR with HDMI capability for $200.00 or a little higher is just not going to get you much if anything. It will be real low end mass market product if even that with junky internal components, power supply, sound, etc. Stay away from those. I would DEFINETLY consider a preowned AVR at audiogon.com or videogon.com. Stick with Marantz, Yamaha, Nakamichi, or even Rotel if you can get it. Just my opinion.

PDN
03-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey Halifox:

I just saw two Marantz AVRs for sale at audiogon.com in your price range. IMO, they are both a steal. Neither list out HDMI capability but so what. If you get a DVD player sometime in the future with HDMI capability, that's all you need for for watching movies, videos, etc. The two Marantz's are the SR7000 for $225.00 and the SR8000 for $300.00. Again, a real steal. It's amazing how fast they lose their resale value. I had the SR5600 for a while and loved it. These are higher level units than that. Go for it now !!

hailfox
03-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the advice! I am leaning towards the Jamo S 606's right now for floor standing speakers. I am wondering with these receivers, will they have sufficient Phono input? I am planning on hooking up a turntable, so I'm wondering if a good phono input would be important in a receiver that I want to buy?

rob_a
03-19-2009, 09:55 AM
What ever you do, don't get the Infinitys, they stink. Marantz is a great receiver for the price. if you can find used NAD, Rotel, or high end denon are always good pics.

JoeE SP9
03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Whatever speakers you buy, Infinity or some other brand, listen to them first. Please your own ears and only your own ears. Everyone here has their favorites and their least liked. None of that means anything. Buy what you have listened to and like.

blackraven
03-19-2009, 07:22 PM
If you can get the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's for that price go for it! Its the best of the bunch.
Also consider the KEF IQ5 if you can find it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000EWN3DA/ref=asc_df_B000EWN3DA748031?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=dealt5641dealt&creative=380345&creativeASIN=B000EWN3DA&linkCode=asm

Mr Peabody
03-19-2009, 07:26 PM
What do you think about watching movies in just stereo? To get a phono input and get in cheap look for a used vintage receiver with phono. Some of those older stereo receivers can be had for under $100.00. An 80's or older Harmon Kardon would be killer.

But if you want and do get a surround receiver you can add an external phono preamp at some point.

Mark111867
03-20-2009, 04:00 AM
I agree with Blackraven. I would go for the Wharfedale 9.6 speakers. I haven't heard the other speakers that you mentioned, but do own a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.4's, which are the floorstanders a couple of models down from the 9.6. If there was one word that I would use to describe these, it would be "warm". Good luck.

hailfox
03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I ended up buying the Marantz SR7000 and Wharfedale 9.6's. Thanks for everyone's help!

Mark111867
03-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Enjoy your new purchase:)

Mr Peabody
03-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Good deal, let us know how you like the set up.