Acoustic Treatment Ideas!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Treatment Ideas!!!

kainbrake2
03-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Hello i just moved into a new home and the living room has a vaulted ceiling and it is an odd shape. the clap echo is horrible for that matter any kind of echo. i want to eather kill it or seriously injure it.

Now this room isn't a high dollar theater or viewing room but the problem is that the system that sounded great in my other home now doesn't sound so great. the bass is very patchy and the mid to high range is smeared. you have to crank it to understand vocals clearly.

I know there is only one good way to fix the low end and that is with traps but i have some ideas for some low budget diffusers and deflectors and i just want some opinions on them.

The first one is a diffuser mad of 3 or more layers of lattice mounted in a frame. each layer will be offset from another and there will be an air gap between layers. the layers will be offset or staggered so that you can no longer see through the lattice. i haven't decided yet but i may try a piece of hard board as the back of the lattice panel. i may also cover the entire thing in fabric.

Another idea is a deflector made simply of a curved piece of thin plywood with a piece of material such as egg crate or stuffing between it and the wall

I also though of just using some acoustic foam the stuff that looks like egg crate and just building a sort of frame around it and covering it with material.

I don't want this room to look like a studio. i know i can do this fashionably.

I don't really know how to tell if i need diffusers or deflectors and then when i figure that out i don't know how to tell if a certain area or wall space needs a deflector or diffuser. Im just going to go with trial and error and ill do my best to document everything and post it on the site.

if anyone has any other BUDGET DIY examples ill be glad to here about them.

thanks
cain

Rich-n-Texas
03-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Cain, I'm in the process of putting together some acoustic panels made of Owens/Corning 703 fiberglass, a burlap covering and a thin backer panel made of MDF. I purchased the 24" x 48" x 2" thick fiberglass online at www.atsacoustics.com (http://www.atsacoustics.com) in a quantity of 6 in the box. These will absorb reflections as well as help reduce the clap echo you speak of. I have that problem as well and, early reflections or not, I just don't like my living room to have that cold hard echo sound in it, and loading the room up with furniture is expensive compared to acoustic panels.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm in the process of taming my subwoofer using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD) that doubles as a parametric equalizer. It's highly recommended by some very smart people here, and it cost about $20 more than the box of acoustic panels I purchased (about $100 bucks). It connects in-line with your receiver or pre/pro's subwoofer output and the sub. I think between the panels and the BFD, I'll finally have the room characteristics that'll favor my entertainment system nicely.

Hope that helped some.

BTW, before I forget, do you have the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) to deal with? :idea:

Mr Peabody
03-16-2009, 06:30 AM
Depending on the lay out of the room you can also do things like strategically hanging tapestry, curtains, a bookshelf with books is an excellent diffuser, or if you are a vinyl guy, your record collection if large enough can have the same effect, if the room isn't carpet, rugs help. Try using a cover on hard table tops if any are in the room, scarfs etc. Just some thoughts that might help while keeping the room having some what a normal look.

kainbrake2
03-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Thats what i had in mind. see if i build the DIY lattice diffuser or the DIY deflector i though about covering them with canvas paintings. Canvas paintings may also be good for acoustics since the frame is usualy an inche thick or more, maybe one could stuff the hollow in the back of the painting and do alot of good. This room is horrible it has a vaulted ceiling and hard wood floor. The lowest ceiling point is 9 foot. also there are only 2 good places to set up the TV and sound system. One is caddy corner with about 15 or so feet to the opposit corner and the other is against a flat wall with only about 10 feet to were the front on the couch would be.

I want to treat it not only for sound system purposes but also for the fact that any sound made in the house is amplified. I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old so you couls imagine the noise.

I may eventualy try the manufactured panels but i think ill spend some time playing with more common materials and do a little R&D.

I think the lattice idea will turn out good. lattice is a good all around material for decorations and practical use. I looks great on the wall behind my garden bath tub.