What Tech Specs make a difference? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What Tech Specs make a difference?

chiefwalk3
03-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I need help with determining what factors to consider in determining what DVD Player is worth the expense. What technical specifications diferentiate say a Sony player from a Marantz, or Yamaha or Denon etc.. The costs are a wide range but looking at the signal to noise ratio and dynamic range difference doesn't seem to warrant the expensive costs of the supposed high end DVD Player. Can anyone enlighten me?

JoeE SP9
03-15-2009, 11:03 AM
For most modern gear tech specs are probably the least important thing. The measurements can be the same for a variety of electronic components. If you are trying to decide between two or three different units name them and you'll get advice. If you like or choose to accept the advice is up to you.
Everyone here has gear they tend to lean towards. The reasons are not necessarily spec related. It could be looks, build and construction or simply size. Tell us what you're considering and you'll get plenty of responses. Some you will agree with and some you won't. No matter, you will get help choosing a component and maybe the rest of us will learn something also.

chiefwalk3
03-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Okay thanks JoeE. I was reviewing the Marantz DV4001 and DV4600 also Denon DVD1940CI and 2930CI, Yamaha DVD-S661BL and S6160BL. obviously these all are low end but I'm on a tight budget and just wanted to maybe improve my source delivery. My system now is okay for my taste just considering if an upgrade from a basic Sony would improve my viewing and audio.

Mr Peabody
03-16-2009, 06:18 AM
I have not seen the picture on a Yamaha. Marantz has always offered excellent DVD players. Denon offers a good product as well. This is just my impression but Marantz seems to offer a clear sharp picture more video like, where I feel Denon although sharp, likes to have the picture more what I think people call "film like". What are you using now? I don't think upgrading to a Sony will help you at all.

If you want a good DVD playback you should probably consider the Oppo model that everyone raves about, it's the 981 or 983.

My thought is now that Blu-ray has come down in price if you have a HDTV why not go that direction if buying new. You can find the Sony s550 at $299.00. The Pioneer BD-51 which is very good after firmware update and built to high end spec, at $288.00, well below original retail, on Amazon. I've used a Samsung BD-1500 which is under $200.00 although not terrible I think the extra $100.00 for the better player is well spent.

To answer your question, unfortunately I have not noticed any specs on DVD that mean a hill of beans. You really just have to look at the picture quality. I've seen 10 bit video processing that beats the pants off 12 or 14. If you use a digital connection there won't be any difference in sound because your receiver is doing the decoding any way. Sometimes DVD players cost more for certain features, a connection, will it play SACD, is it aluminum, large and impress your friends etc. It depends on what features are important and how it actually performs.

What are you looking to spend? I have my Denon 1600 still around I could shoot you a deal on which new cost $499.00. I have the manual but not the box. PM if interested. I have an LG which is supposed to be an upsampling player. Cost was about $189.00 for this player and even though it is supposed to upsample it didn't look as good as the 1600 which is Progressive but doesn't upsample. So one can conclude that either you get what you pay for or the cheaper players upsampling doesn't do much which is also another way of saying you get what you pay for :)