CD for Analog 2-channel use [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD for Analog 2-channel use

Meddle
03-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey folks, you guys have been good to me in the past, so I thought I'd solicit advice from the willing once more.

I'm a bit of an audio geek, but much more from the music side. I collect used and vintage audio out of need (I have 7 rigs in my home) and sentiment (love of the older stuff).

In spite of all my "stuff", I am still no expert save having experience with tons of brands and different types of equipment. My DIY abilities end at replacing woofer surrounds or really basic repairs.

My favorite system is my old Rotel rig. It's a RC-972 feeding two RB 870-BX's. My input device is a RCD-855, which has been truly a great little player and still is.

Now that I have some other input needs in some of my other systems, I was contemplating trying to find an upgrade to the RCD-855 and moving that player to my Adcom system that I have in my barn (I listen a lot out there after the kids are asleep).

So, here's the rub. Am I going to find an upgrade to the 855 without spending more than say 200 bucks?

I have my eyes on a Rega, but they don't come down near 200. What I'd love is a slightly newer Rotel with slightly better measurables for a fair price.

My system is far from top of the line, but the sound is plenty good for me. I'll never swim with the Krells or what have you.

So, I'm looking for the best CD player to be used in analog for under 200 dollars.

Any ideas? Please forgive me for asking what is likely a common question and thanks in advance for all replies.

Peace

02audionoob
03-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Or how about a DAC?

Meddle
03-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Hmmm. I want one of those, but if I get one, I'd hook it up to my Creek, which is currently hooked to my Mac by one of those awful mini-plugs.

I suppose I could get two of them...

02audionoob
03-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I also like the Rega CD players but opted for a Music Hall to save some dough. $200 sounds like a really tight budget to beat your Rotel, although some people like the audio quality of the Oppo DVD players.

Mr Peabody
03-13-2009, 07:06 PM
This won't probably best the Rotel, and those who know me know I usually don't have good things to say about Yamaha, but new for under $200.00 you should take a listen to one. I was looking for a CD player for one of my kids and went into a mass merchant who carried Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha. The models I looked at were all within $50.00 of each other. After comparing the 3 I walked out with the Yamaha which was actually the cheapest. The other two were brighter and had more defined bass but for a cheap player the Yamaha had an impressive midrange and sweet highs.

Another way to go is check Audiogon to see what might be in your budget. I was surprised to see some Arcam Alpha models last I was out there in your range. These would be excellent players and even with their age should be better than the Rotel. Of course, "better" is subjective. The Arcam will be faster and more detailed than what you are used to.

I really don't think you'll find an outboard DAC in your price worth having.

vincedog3
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I would hold out for the new Emotiva ERC-1 CD player for $399.00. Looks like a winner at the price.

RoadRunner6
03-16-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm with vincedog3 (welcome to AR) since I'm becoming a big Emotiva fan. I already have the XPA-5 amp and am on the waiting list for their new XMC-1 (upgrade of their new UMC-1) pre-pro which will be out later this year.

I have been watching the ERC-1 with interest. However, I'm definitely getting the Oppo DMP-83 next month when it is released.

The ERC-1 looks like it will be a very classy CD player for Emotiva's usual amazing price and especially for the 2 channel crowd.

RR6

Projected specs and comments from Emotiva:

The DAC is the Analog Devices 1955.

The Opamps are Burr Brown OPA2134.

24 bit processor with 384 x oversampling. (Most 'high end' players are 24 bit with 192 x oversampling)

Frequency response is 5hz to...absolute daylight. from 20hz to 20khz, it's flat as a board.

4 independent power supplies, to drive each section of the unit separately. (1. CD carriage/2. digital portion/3. analogue portion/4. display) This prevents the different sections from interacting and causing noise.

The CD drive mechanism and the digital portion of the audio is encased in a steel substructure that shields it 100% from the audio stages. No noise from the mechanism or digital portion can get into the audio.

The audio board itself is fully isolated from the power supply and digital poritons and offers a fully discrete output stage, capable of producing 7 volts of output (no wimpy 2 volt output here!).

Sexy slot-load system with halo lighting.

Halo lighting brightens during functions like fast forward, next, previous, etc., them dims to low setting within a few seconds.

Remote control.

No official weight yet, but we think somewhere around 30 pounds...

Mr Peabody
03-17-2009, 04:03 AM
RR6 I didn't know you were in the Emotiva amp club. That does look like quite a player for the money, the proof is in the sound, hopefully some one will come back and post comments after trying one.

RoadRunner6
03-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Mr. P that Emotiva CD palyer is just off the testing boards and supposed to be released soon.

I got my XPA-5 back in November. After reading about Emotiva thanks to Rich, Kex and others I realized that separates were within my budget at least from Emotiva. Here is a link to my thread with photos on the XPA-5.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=28710

RR6

Auricauricle
03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
That's one sexy beast!

RoadRunner6
03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
More detailed specs just out on the new Emotiva ERC-1

• Output voltage: 2V rms (7V peak)
• Channel separation: ≥95dB - ref. 1kHz
• Frequency response: 20Hz~20kHz (+0/-1dB)
• S/N: ≥100dB (A weighted)
• THD: ≤0.01% 0dB 1KHz)
• Playback formats: Redbook CD, HDCD, MP3
• Digital Output Filter: 24-Bit, 384 times oversampling (Analog Devices 1955)
• Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
• Analog output filter frequency: 80 kHz (-3dB)
• Amplitude output linearity: 0.2dB
• Phase linearity: 30°
• Power consumption: ≤ 25W
• Output connection types: digital coaxial, digital optical toslink, unbalanced RCA, balanced XLR
• Weight: 17.5 lbs (unboxed)
• Width: 17 inches
• Depth: 14 inches (including RCA jack extension)
• Height: 3.75 inches (faceplate only) – 4.25 inches including feet
• Feet are recessed 2.25 inches from face of unit, and .5 inches from back of unit

RR6

Meddle
03-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I would hold out for the new Emotiva ERC-1 CD player for $399.00. Looks like a winner at the price.
Oh my. That's pretty sweet. I may just opt to save up.

As always, thanks for the guidance.

Reticuli
03-22-2009, 12:58 PM
amazing design...damn.

thekid
03-22-2009, 02:54 PM
RR

That Emotiva gear looks great!
I guess I can expect it to show up at my local thrifts in 30-40 years when it will be in my price range........ :)

Kevio
03-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Might be sooner than that if CD sales continue to slide.

RoadRunner6
03-22-2009, 05:07 PM
RR

That Emotiva gear looks great!
I guess I can expect it to show up at my local thrifts in 30-40 years when it will be in my price range........ :)

Very funny Kid. You made me laugh out loud, or as the young kids would say, LMAO!

RR6 :thumbsup:

E-Stat
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Am I going to find an upgrade to the 855 without spending more than say 200 bucks?
You might just if you continue to use the Rotel as a transport and send its digital out to a better DAC. That was the approach I took in the vintage system to update a Pioneer PD-54.

rw

Meddle
03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
This won't probably best the Rotel, and those who know me know I usually don't have good things to say about Yamaha, but new for under $200.00 you should take a listen to one.

Funny you mention it, but of all the old mid-grade CD players I have, the Yamaha players sound best.

So, to put and end to my boring story, I picked up a used Rotel RCD-950. It's not as nice a player as the 855, but at least it runs off the RC's remote. I nabbed it for under a hundo with shipping and it's in great shape.

I'm going to gear up for the Rega or maybe that Emotiva if it's getting good reviews.

RoadRunner6
03-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Latest info about the Emotiva ERC-1 CD player posted at the Emotiva Forum:

"..........The ERC-1 is shipping to us very shortly. The manual can be downloaded here:

http://emotiva.com/manuals/ERC1_manual.PDF .........."

This would seem to indicate the unit will be available in a few weeks (maybe 3-6).

This CD player comes with a 5 year warranty and an owner's manual that is actually written clearly by a native English speaking person. (simply revolutionary!) Not sure if I'm ready for an owner's manual that I only have to read once to understand.

RR6 :biggrin5:

Mr Peabody
03-27-2009, 09:49 PM
I'd settle for an owners manual with all the info in it you need or complete sentences so you know what they are saying. I wouldn't get too excited until you hear one. That will be the test. And then, will it sound like a good $500.00 player or will it exceed. I mean the 5001 or MH 25.2 may be good for the money but I wouldn't put one at the head of my system.

StevenSurprenant
03-29-2009, 06:43 AM
I've tried a few different players over the years and for the money, I went with Panasonic DVD players for their clarity. Recenty I bought an OPPO DV 980H on the advice of many people and it was a nice improvement over the Panasonic. There is more detail and the sound is more natural. I would say, it was money well spent.

Besides, it does DVD-A, SACD, HDCD, and more...
You can look at their site if you want more information.

The cost? ----- $169.00

The best I've had before were Stereophile Class B transports and I think the OPPO is better.

Some people say that the video circuitry degrades the sound and the OPPO allows you to shut down the video potion of the player.

BTW, I am runnig the OPPO through an external DAC so that may/does have an effect on the final sound. I haven't hooked up a CD player through the analog outputs for a very long time, so I can't comment of that.

They also have a return policy.

I think the video potion of the player is good, but not great. I think the Pansonics have somewhat better video. I did not buy this unit for the video so that is a non issue. Besides, this is an older unit and technology marches on.

Perhaps Rega and other higher end players are better, but for the money, I don't think you can go wrong.

There are plenty of reviews on this model...

Take care.

Meddle
05-24-2009, 09:49 AM
More detailed specs just out on the new Emotiva ERC-1

• Output voltage: 2V rms (7V peak)
• Channel separation: ≥95dB - ref. 1kHz
• Frequency response: 20Hz~20kHz (+0/-1dB)
• S/N: ≥100dB (A weighted)
• THD: ≤0.01% 0dB 1KHz)
• Playback formats: Redbook CD, HDCD, MP3
• Digital Output Filter: 24-Bit, 384 times oversampling (Analog Devices 1955)
• Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz
• Analog output filter frequency: 80 kHz (-3dB)
• Amplitude output linearity: 0.2dB
• Phase linearity: 30°
• Power consumption: ≤ 25W
• Output connection types: digital coaxial, digital optical toslink, unbalanced RCA, balanced XLR
• Weight: 17.5 lbs (unboxed)
• Width: 17 inches
• Depth: 14 inches (including RCA jack extension)
• Height: 3.75 inches (faceplate only) – 4.25 inches including feet
• Feet are recessed 2.25 inches from face of unit, and .5 inches from back of unit

RR6

Anybody get one of these things? I'd love to hear how good they are.