Karmakanic - Who's The Boss - Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Karmakanic - Who's The Boss - Review

BarryL
03-13-2009, 07:04 AM
When I first put this one, I hated it. The "sound" was more of the same (Flower Kings, Kaipa) and the music was awkward, like the melodies were strained to fit awkward lyrics.

I haven't changed my mind about the music sounding formulaic, but I'm starting to like it much better after about three listens.

If Stolt sang and played on the first track, you'd swear he had written it. This 19 minute tune is Karmakanic's version of the great FK tune Love Supreme. Yeah, the lovey dovey lyrics are stupid, but I can tell that over time I'm likely going to come to cherish this silly tune.

The songs vary from the harder edged Let In Hollywood to the orchestrated and lovely Eternally Pt. 2.

There's nothing here as wild and experimental as Do U Tango from Wheel of Life, but if you're a Flower KIng fan, then you'll probably come to enjoy this one. It's certainly a better outing than the last couple of FK albums.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10 for those who like the Flower Kings. If you don't like FK or Kaipa, then you're not going to have anything good to say about this.

3-LockBox
03-13-2009, 01:47 PM
The problem with Swedisg prog, is that so many of the musicians guest on each others' projects. The bassist here, Jonas Reingold, appears on albums by Kaipa, The Tangent, and The Flower Kings, and prolly a few others that I'm missing (prolly on Tomas Bodin's solo projects as well). Hell, the drummer is from TFK, as well as the afore mentioned Tomas Bodin. Andy Tillson from The Tangent guests too. There is way too much crossover. When it comes to Swedish prog, there is only one or two degrees of seperation, and all the albums sound like the same band. It also doesn't help that they release their projects close to the same time. 2007 saw new relases from The Flower Kings, Kaipa, and Ritual (Ritual and Kaipa share the same lead singer) followed by releases from The Tangent early in 2008 followed by Karmakanic. Tomas Bodin is supposed to release a new solo album soon as well.

phew...at least they keep busy and off the streets

But I must say, that I agree with your assessment, that the first track, Send A Message From The Heart, is a great track...very familiar, but a great track nonetheless. Yes, it has its cornball moments.

Over all, I agree that it is a better album than the last FK album, The Sum Of No Evil (I still love Paradox Hotel however). I wished these guys would branch out and try something new, but maybe they only know how to write in one style.

Dave_G
03-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I like it but not as much as "wheel of life", and that new Martin Orford solo cd is pretty dang lame, to me.

Dave

3-LockBox
03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
that new Martin Orford solo cd is pretty dang lame, to me.

The Old Road? Yeah, it is lame. It woulda been cheesy back in the early '80s or late '70s, where it is firmly rooted. Musically speaking, its good, but lyrically speaking its corny as all hell and the singer, while in fine voice, gives a rather dramatic performance. Olford says in the liner notes that the album is intentionally, "unabashedly retro". It his swan song, so I guess he wanted to go out the way he came in, so to speak. Of course the fanboys over at PE fawned all over this one, where Martin is a semi-regular poster himself.

Did you get that new Billy Sherwood or the latest Circa CD? I have the first Circa which is ok, but the samples of the newer stuff don't do a thing for me.

BarryL
03-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Did you get that new Billy Sherwood or the latest Circa CD? I have the first Circa which is ok, but the samples of the newer stuff don't do a thing for me.

I can't say I've liked anything the Sherwood has done. Although that last conspiracy album with Squire had its moments. I have an ELP tribute CD that Sherwood was the brainchild of, and he even sings the wrong lyrics to Karn Evil 9!

Dave_G
03-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm a non Sherwood fan as well, he's just kind of "stale" or weak or whatever the proper word is...give me back Trevor Rabin and then we can talk. bUt my guess is that Yes as we know is history...too much toll on the guys, even tho the gig I saw in December was killer and S.H. was just so great....

Proggers are getting old. Like me. LOL. That's why I still like Saga, Clepsydra, IQ, and TFK and Karmakanic and even the Stranglers.

Dave