"Let the Right One In" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Let the Right One In"

Worf101
03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Interesting and totally unique take on the Vampire mythos. The entire story is told through the eyes or a 12 year old Sweedish boy and his new little playmate who sometimes "smells bad". The first truly original twist on vampires since "True Blood". This is not "High School Musical" vamp fest. The questions raised by this film are left hanging in the air like breath on a freezing winter day. You do find out some things though... like what happens when a vamp comes into a hous uninvited.

A little slow at times, and not for everyone but for all true blue vampire lovers this is a must see.

Da Worfster

Auricauricle
03-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the tip, Worf! The vampyre myth (no offense to the Fangoras out there!) has always been interesting to me. It would be interesting to see a Swedish rendition of it, especially if they infuse it in someway with the local folklore. Hm. Odin meets Dracula... Hm!

Sugar Beats
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
I heard about this flick before & wanted to check it out. Thanks for the info. I've always loved Vampire/horror flicks.

Don't see as many as I used to. I used to love to watch Boris Karloff & Vincent Price as a young kid. I was the only kid I knew who would spend Sat. afternoons watching scary movies (the black & white ones, like Frankenstein, The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, etc.)
My cousin, same age as me, a boy, would come over watch those w/ me & be up having nightmares all night, which would totally crack me up! Those weren't even scary. I loved Stephen King books & read everything he ever wrote in my very early teens. "It" was the only book of his I read that freaked me out for about 2 - 3 days. Too bad some of his movies didn't turn out as well as the books.

Sorry, kinda got off on a tangent... Can't wait to see the flick!

3-LockBox
03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I'll try to check it out. This genre needs a good kick in the pants. Maybe someday someone will make a definitive version of SK's Salem's Lot. The Vampire Chronicles were just more of the same overly romantic, hackish crap - Twilight is it's pubescent cousin. I haven't even seen any of the Underworld flicks and don't want to.

TV's The Night Stalker stands out as better than many a takes on the genre. I haven't seen a few of the others that get raves here, but they're also on my list.

ANY more recs?

canuckle
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
It was a brilliant and well-directed movie. If American film could do something as intelligent as "Låt den rätte komma in," then we wouldn't have to suffer through dreck like "Twilight" any longer!

Kam
04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
just saw this too and absolutely loved it. fantastic movie. for the first few minutes had no idea why everyone sounded so weird, before i realize the english dub was on and fixed it and went back to subtitles and the original soundtrack.

that ending was fantastic too and the visuals and sound design as he's in the pool is just amazing! the perfect example of just show enough and let the mind imagine the rest. no need to show any or everything at all.

Worf101
04-03-2009, 05:28 AM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Okay I was discussing this film with Sugi, owner operator of Specturm 8 Theatres where I saw this film (www.spectrum8.com) and asked her the following:

I believe that the old man, the most inept blood drainer in history, was NOT her father but her last boyfriend/lover/companion. Remember when blondie asked her "where did you get al those rings" and it look like she had a bunch of wedding rings tied to a string. I believe our little girl's been around a long, long, long time and Blondie was just the latest of a long string of companion/caretakers she'd had over the centuries. What's YOUR take?

Da Worfster

Kam
04-03-2009, 05:56 AM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Okay I was discussing this film with Sugi, owner operator of Specturm 8 Theatres where I saw this film (www.spectrum8.com) and asked her the following:

I believe that the old man, the most inept blood drainer in history, was NOT her father but her last boyfriend/lover/companion. Remember when blondie asked her "where did you get al those rings" and it look like she had a bunch of wedding rings tied to a string. I believe our little girl's been around a long, long, long time and Blondie was just the latest of a long string of companion/caretakers she'd had over the centuries. What's YOUR take?

Da Worfster

yeah i could see that too. i got the impression she's quite old just by that discussion when he asks her how old she is and she says "around 12" and the second discussion about her age too.

i didn't think the guy was her father either, at least not in the biological sense, but more of a familiar or, i forget the vampire lore term, but the human that watches over the vampire during the day. it just worked out perfectly in their case to keep the father-daughter charade up but he was basically just the caretaker. the way she interacted with him after his first failure was the way a master treats a servant, not familial at all.

her yelling at him 'do i have to go and do this my way' or whatever she said about finding food herself, and then doing it. also, the way his character was the whole way, i NEVER got the impression he was doing what he was doing out of love/compassion, but necessity/duty. there was no remorse in anything he did, just doing his job like anyone else. if he was a father doing this for his daughter, then he'd feel each murder he committed that much more and the emotional conflict would be evident.

that's my 2 cents!