Starting from scratch [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch

bjdalton1
03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I have a Mr. Peabody helping me, I am new to all of this, find it entertaining, listening to Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison album at the moment, etc. Does anyway have an idea of a system, speakers, amp, etc, that would be nice in a room 12'x 16'. The speakers would be on the 16' wall. I don't really need to fill an auditorium with sound. Just good quality sound. I would like floor speakers or towers as I've read. I don't really have a budget. I am not poor but I'm not rich either. I've got a kid in college thats costing me an arm and leg who wants to major in Philosopy. I can only shake my head. I work very, very hard and want to come home and go to that room and listen to Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Pink Floyd, etc. Can anyone help this 'ole man out?

Bobby D.

luvtolisten
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi Bobby D.,
And welcome! If you were to give us an idea, what you feel comfortable spending, then we can make suggestions that fit your budget.

Hyfi
03-12-2009, 11:19 AM
I have a Mr. Peabody helping me, I am new to all of this, find it entertaining, listening to Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison album at the moment, etc. Does anyway have an idea of a system, speakers, amp, etc, that would be nice in a room 12'x 16'. The speakers would be on the 16' wall. I don't really need to fill an auditorium with sound. Just good quality sound. I would like floor speakers or towers as I've read. I don't really have a budget. I am not poor but I'm not rich either. I've got a kid in college thats costing me an arm and leg who wants to major in Philosopy. I can only shake my head. I work very, very hard and want to come home and go to that room and listen to Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Pink Floyd, etc. Can anyone help this 'ole man out?

Bobby D.

Where do you live? I am outside of Philly and have a great pair of speakers to sell that were $3500.00 when new. Asking $600 for the pair. Made by Von Schwiekert when he worked for Counterpoint. Clearfield Continentals.

dean_martin
03-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Welcome, Bobby!

I responded to your post over on the general discussion board before I saw this one.

Not too long ago, I listened to some floorstanding speakers in the $1000-2000 range. Revel Concerta F12, Monitor Audio Silver RS6, Vandersteen 2ce (or whatever the current "2" is called), B&W 600 series (683 maybe?). Anyhow, all had their strengths. Find a good specialized audio dealer or two in your area (I have to drive about 45 mins.) and listen to as many speakers as you can find. Do a little online research on speaker brands often mentioned here. Use the search function on the speaker discussion board. Those things may get you started. You'll soon discover what "sound" appeals to you. For example, what might sound exciting in the store might become fatiguing over time. Or, a sound that seems too laid back in the store may be something you can live with for a long time. You'll also discover a handful of different speaker designs too. All the ones I mentioned above are box speakers except for the Vandersteens.

I'm particularly paranoid about what kind of amplification it takes to get the speaker's best performance. Some speakers take lots of quality power to perform their best while others are more sensitive and can be driven by less (though still quality) power. You'll need to consider what kind of amp or receiver you'll be using with the new speakers.

bjdalton1
03-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Ok. It looks like I need to increase my budget. $1200! Hows that. Apparently I need an amp and speakers. Bring it on people, what do I do?

blackraven
03-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Check out the closeout on these Monitor Audio S6 floor stander speakers from http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

Click the Deals tab on the left side. Its a great price for the S6's.

I own a pair of S1's that I bought from them for my bedroom. They have a good sound once they break in after about 50hrs of use. I'm sure the S6's are that much better.

If you want to go with Bookshlelf speakers, consider the B&W 685's and NHT Classic 3's.