Suggestions of good DVDs & BDs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions of good DVDs & BDs

Demetrio
03-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi, folks, glad to be here again.

How about sharing opinions about some of the best DVDs & BDs (blu-ray) available at the moment?

I will start suggesting these greats:

- CHRIS REA - Road to Hell and Back
- SIGUR RÓS - Heima
- TALK TALK - Live at Montreux 1986
- DAVID GILMOUR – Live in Gdansk
- MORCHEEBA - From Brixton to Beijing
- P.F.M. – Live in Japan 2002
- PORCUPINE TREE – Arriving Somewhere
- ROGER WATERS – In the Flesh
- LOS LOBOS – Live at the Fillmore
- PROCOL HARUM – Live at the Union Chapel

Kind regards,
Demetrio.

ForeverAutumn
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Am I dreaming? Is it really you? Were your ears burning?...because we were just talking about you.

It's always great to see you here D! How the heck have you been?

I have the David Gilmour and Porcupine Tree DVDs and enjoyed them both. Barry lent me the PMF DVD, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

I also got the last Dream Theater DVD from the Sytematic Chaos tour for Christmas but haven't had a chance to watch it yet either. Although I really should make the time because some of it was filmed at a show that I attended.

Hyfi
03-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey D! Nice to see you around. It has been Geezer Month here at RR so your posting was required.

I can recommend Robert Plant and Strange Sensation PBS DVD which rocks nicely. Several old LZ tunes done to a different beat. Good set of musicians too.

MasterCylinder
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
What are the odds on the day I sit and listen to the EASY LISTENING PROG comp (after so long) from Demetrio, he posts on the board (after so long) ???

Best DVDs I own for picture and sound..............

HELL FREEZES OVER -- Eagles

THE DANCE -- Fleetwood Mac

Demetrio
03-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi, folks, thanks all for another very kind welcome!!

Hey, FA, what a coincidence, I thought of you just yesterday, when I received by the mail the TEA PARTY Live - Intimate & Interactive DVD I had ordered few days ago from CDConnection.com.

By the way, another great DVD that I have to suggest here too.

Best regards,
Demetrio.

3-LockBox
03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I was just listening to your Wierd & Ecclectic Prog comp just last week!

Good to see you, D!

I'd recommend the Symphonic Yes DVD for sound. Superb sound...but picture quality? lots of close-ups of Steve Howe - nuff said!

I haven't seen the latest Gilmour DVD. I have seen the 2002 DVD called In Concert:Live at Robert Wayatt's Meltdown, which is a semi-unplugged style concert, but very well done (this came out around the same time Roger Waters' In The Flesh DVD came out, and there is very little overlap in the playlist). Not a lot going on visually, so I can't really critique it for picture quality, but it does sound great. The DVD extras kinda suck though.

Swish
03-12-2009, 04:54 AM
Hi, folks, glad to be here again.

How about sharing opinions about some of the best DVDs & BDs (blu-ray) available at the moment?

I will start suggesting these greats:

- CHRIS REA - Road to Hell and Back
- SIGUR RÓS - Heima
- TALK TALK - Live at Montreux 1986
- DAVID GILMOUR – Live in Gdansk
- MORCHEEBA - From Brixton to Beijing
- P.F.M. – Live in Japan 2002
- PORCUPINE TREE – Arriving Somewhere
- ROGER WATERS – In the Flesh
- LOS LOBOS – Live at the Fillmore
- PROCOL HARUM – Live at the Union Chapel

Kind regards,
Demetrio.

...woodwork? How are you pal? I really miss those prog fights you used to have with YECH and a few others (me). Fun stuff. I still have the comps you sent me way back when and will have to blow the dust off of them since you're back on board.

As for great DVDs, I still love the 'Best of Sessions at 54th'. but the 'Richard Thompson at Austin City Limits' is really sweet, if only to see him performing 1951 Black Vincent Lightning. If you never heard it, click on this link. His acoustic playing is out of this world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7bXBOfgvJ4

Rich-n-Texas
03-12-2009, 05:51 AM
...if I start sending out comps too?

Seriously though, this is a great thread. I have a small but growing collection of concert DVD's and I'm always looking to add to it. But while it's still fresh in my head, there's one DVD Demetrio mentioned that to me is not a good one.

- Roger Waters' "In the Flesh", compared to the Gilmour/PF concerts that I own was a very uninspiring performance by Roger. I played that one once, and was tempted to send it back, it was that disappointing. From what I remember, Roger seems like he doesn't care about the show and is just making an appearance, more for his own benefit than for his fans. Add to that the fact that he came to the Dallas area a year or so ago, and the price to see him was double what I paid when I saw Rush at the same venue about 1 year later. You might say I'm slightly biased, but that DVD just doesn't cut it in my book.

The "Pulse" and "Live at Pompeii" DVD's are excellent Pink Floyd shows, both of which were suggested by people here.

The David Gilmour concert DVD "Remember That Night" is a two DVD set; the second DVD of extras shows a scene where David and Roger hug while David was recording "On an Island" at coincedentally the same studio where Roger was recording "???". The concert is a great show recorded at The Royal Albert Hall, but the problem I have with it is that the audio level mysteriously drops to a low level, then comes back up. This happens throughout the entire show. Somebody must've forgotten to turn off Auto-volume leveling or something during post-production. Somewhat annoying to me.

I was considering purchasing "Live at Gdansk", but I read a comment in an Amazon.com discussion forum about it where a couple people complained that it had the same audio level problem as "Remember..."; the 2 CD/2 DVD set costs $36 bucks as well, so I'm back on the fence right now.

Anyway, hope I didn't take the thread too far off track. BTW, "Remember That Night" is available on Blu-ray with a Dolby TrueHD audio format, for those who care.

ForeverAutumn
03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
Hey, FA, what a coincidence, I thought of you just yesterday, when I received by the mail the TEA PARTY Live - Intimate & Interactive DVD I had ordered few days ago from CDConnection.com.

By the way, another great DVD that I have to suggest here too.

Thanks Demetrio. I keep meaning to pick that one up and just never get around to it. I just dropped it in my Amazon shopping cart. :)

You've reminded me that I was supposed to send you some stuff, including Jeff Martin, solo. I have to apologize for not doing it. We moved last year and all of my CDs are still in boxes until we finish our renovations. I've been surviving on new purchases and my iPod for the last 10 months!

richmon
03-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Well Well Well, look what the wind blew in. Good to see you back Demetrio.

I've been very impressed with the Within Temptation 'Black Symphony' DVD, it came with the audio CD. A full symphony orchestra, choir, lighting effects, great songs - just WOW in every way.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Symphony-DVD-Within-Temptation/dp/B001DPC52C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236866886&sr=1-1

BarryL
03-12-2009, 10:00 AM
I just came across the Talk Talk DVD the other day, but didn't buy it. I really liked that band, so I'm glad to see you liked the DVD. Maybe next time I'm in HMV.

This Way Up by Pat Metheny is a great DVD.

I keep buying music DVDs but then don't watch them. I keep waiting for the day I get a large HDTV so I can enjoy them concert size!

By then I'll probably hate the music I'm listening to now!

3-LockBox
03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
- Roger Waters' "In the Flesh", compared to the Gilmour/PF concerts that I own was a very uninspiring performance by Roger. I played that one once, and was tempted to send it back, it was that disappointing.The "Pulse" and "Live at Pompeii" DVD's are excellent Pink Floyd shows, both of which were suggested by people here.

I hated Pulse. I thought The Delicate Sound Of Thunder DVD to be a much better performance. They looked and played 'very old' on Pulse, and the female singers on Pulse's Great Gig In The Sky absolutely bomb, whereas the female singers on the DSoThunder version are great.

So its not surprising that I loved In The Flesh ;)

Rich-n-Texas
03-13-2009, 04:40 AM
... A retraction of some of my previous remarks about "In the Flesh" are in order. Truth is, I'd never seen Roger Waters perform live as a solo artist, so I didn't have anything to compare to when I indicated he wasn't inspiring. I watched it again last night, and besides a commendable effort by Roger and his supporting cast during a long, 24 song set list, the audio and visual quality of the show was outstanding. By far a better reproduction than the three PF/Gilmour concert DVD's that I own. And I agree, his backup vocalists sang much better than the three gals in the "Pulse" concert.

3-LockBox
03-13-2009, 05:28 AM
About that In The Flesh DVD - I've never seen so many people on a stage at one time; it looked like a celebrity jam at one of those telephons or HOF shows. That left handed guitarist (who did a lot of singing) was also very killer. How many different guitarists did he have up there - four? And the poker bit during Dogs was kinda funny.

MasterCylinder
03-13-2009, 05:48 AM
That left handed guitarist (who did a lot of singing) was also very killer.

Doyle Bramhall...........Austin, Texas.
Hell of a blues player too.

Rich-n-Texas
03-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Let's see... Snowy White and Doyle Bramhall (from Dallas BTW) were playing and sometimes dueling on lead guitar, another guy, Andy Fairweather-Low was playing rhythm and possibly backing Roger on bass guitar at times, not sure though, and two keyboardists. You probably know that Jon Carin, on keyboards and slide guitar played with PF on "Pulse" and with David G. during his "Remember That Night" tour. The three backing girls (the hot one is married to Doyle) and the drummer makes ten on stage.

The only beef I had this time with the poker game was what looked like a bottle of rot-gut Jack Daniels whiskey getting passed around. That sh!t's NASTY! :yikes:

Rich-n-Texas
03-13-2009, 05:56 AM
I hated Pulse. I thought The Delicate Sound Of Thunder DVD to be a much better performance. They looked and played 'very old' on Pulse, and the female singers on Pulse's Great Gig In The Sky absolutely bomb, whereas the female singers on the DSoThunder version are great.

So its not surprising that I loved In The Flesh ;)
There seems to be a few different flavors of this DVD. Included is a bootleg that at one time was being sold at Amazon, nevertheless, they don't have any DSoT DVD's available. Any idea who might?

Rich-n-Texas
03-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Doyle Bramhall...........Austin, Texas.
Hell of a blues player too.
I thought he was Dallas. Man, another strike against me. Hey Ump, what's the count? :sosp:

ForeverAutumn
03-13-2009, 06:21 AM
... A retraction of some of my previous remarks about "In the Flesh" are in order. Truth is, I'd never seen Roger Waters perform live as a solo artist, so I didn't have anything to compare to when I indicated he wasn't inspiring. I watched it again last night, and besides a commendable effort by Roger and his supporting cast during a long, 24 song set list, the audio and visual quality of the show was outstanding. By far a better reproduction than the three PF/Gilmour concert DVD's that I own. And I agree, his backup vocalists sang much better than the three gals in the "Pulse" concert.

I have this DVD buried in my archives somewhere. I've never watched it. Now you've got me curious to figure out which box it's in and give it a viewing.

Javier
03-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey Demetrio another one arriving ,, good to hear from you, i´ll secon the recs from 3lb, and rft, as weel as porky tree arrivin somewere, and rush from rio also sounds great.
Javier.

Dave_G
03-16-2009, 02:23 PM
I love that RW dvd - but the newest Saga blows it away...(worlds apart revisited)...anxious for the new Saga dvd to come out and the new IQ cd!!!

I still have lots of Demetrio komps, some of the best ever made!

Dave

MasterCylinder
03-17-2009, 04:02 AM
......and the new IQ cd!!!

New IQ ? :)

Please tell us what you know about this !

Demetrio
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
New IQ ? :)

Please tell us what you know about this !
Hey, I also want to know about this!!!

By the way, there's a new Satellite CD out there: "Nostalgia".

http://progshine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/nostalgia_2008.jpg

Can hardly wait to get this!!!

Cheers,
Demetrio.

MasterCylinder
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Hey, I also want to know about this!!!

Check the thread "Frequency".

unleasHell
03-22-2009, 09:12 AM
I was just listening to your Wierd & Ecclectic Prog comp just last week!

Good to see you, D!

LOL, I have his Weird & Eclectic Prog Comp as well...

3-LockBox
03-22-2009, 02:52 PM
wow, an unleasHell sighting...now all we need is Chalky Dust to show up!

Of course, one of my fave comps is the first one I recieved here on RR, and that was unleasHell's own SHAM comp. Still a great listen.

unleasHell
03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Cool thanks, I listed to the SHAM and Son of Sham just the other day!

3-LockBox
03-23-2009, 10:50 AM
there's a new Satellite CD out there: "Nostalgia".

There's a thread over at PE about this album. There seems to be some mixed reviews. I liked their last one, Into The Night, so I may have to pick this one up soon.

3-LockBox
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
You may wish to check out this band.

Wobbler, from Sweden (where else?)
http://www.myspace.com/wobblermusic

They sound a tad like Anglagard. I wasn't crazy about their last one, Hinterland, but I've heard good things about the new one, Afterglow.

Dave_G
03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Woobler. I love their name...

Dave_G
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
That new IQ - I hope they release it soon, you just gotta KNOW it's going to be good...

Plus I just ordered the new SAGA concert deeveedee, looking forward to that one!

Dave

3-LockBox
03-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Wobbler. I love their name...

I heard they don't fall down...

3-LockBox
03-24-2009, 05:14 PM
There be a new OSI coming out next month - Blood - and there's no telling what kinda album it will be or how it will sound - the first two albums are so different from one another. No Mile Portnoy this time, but they do have Gavin Harrison of PT....for the life of me I don't know why they have a drummer, their last album featured a lot of drum machine. Opeth vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt will sing on one tune he also helped co-write...Matheos suggest him because they wanted a great singer for the one song, so that means no cookie monster vocal.:)

Here's a link: http://www.insideout.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=640&osCsid=afa800cc0c9af10866d7e17bd3263291

http://www.insideout.de/catalog/images/OSIBloodCover300.jpg

MasterCylinder
03-25-2009, 04:21 AM
"cookie-monster vocals"..................LMAO !

Good description.

3-LockBox
04-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey D, have you picked up the new Satellite yet?