Tuesday Rotoscope (another late edition) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Rotoscope (another late edition)

BradH
03-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Jason Falkner - Author Unknown

Scary how time flies. This is holding up very well proving power pop is somewhat timeless. If you had told me he would only have 3 solo albums out by now...

Frank Zappa - Guitar

On Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar, Frank took live solos and put them on top of backup tracks to unrelated songs and called it xenocracy or something. I didn't care for the result. Guitar was marketed as the sequel but it's not. These are all straight up real recordings of live guitar solos. Clapton, Hendrix and Beck were as good as Zappa.

Dr. Demento Show - Tribute To Frank Zappa

A great sounding boot ripped from the 1994 broadcast cd's. The Doc knows his subject too. Some of his interviews with Zappa go back to 1972. Two discs clocking in at 2 hrs. Great for nightime drives. Hello Troy.

Vinnie Colaiuta

Hard rocking fusion, acid jazz w/ killer hip-hop beats, tons of jazz lines sounding for all the world like Zawinul/Shorter against a world flavored background with new agey elements...even a little harmonica fo yo ass. It could've been an over-ambitious mixed bag but Vinnie hits the target dead center on every track making this a helluva good disc. Well recorded, mixed and mastered too. Look ma, no compression!

Charles Mingus - Mingus Plays Piano

A magic recording. The sheer nerve of Mingus. He technically wasn't a piano player at all and here he mixed primitivism and sophistication to reveal visions of stunning depth and beauty.

Jon Hassell - Dream Theory In Malaya

Part of the Fourth Worlds series but I prefer this over Possible Musics for some reason. Great sounds for hot weather which it isn't yet but will be here this summer. Trust me on that. I'll be pulling it out again (the disc) in August or so.

Anyone else got anything?

MasterCylinder
03-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Tuesday = Eva Cassidy -- COMPS from HyFi & Troy -- Romantic Warrior

Today = COMPS from Demetrio.

ForeverAutumn
03-11-2009, 05:28 AM
I've had that fabulous new Elbow disk on perma-spin for the last week.

Made time for the Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter.
The Robert Plant/Allison Krause collaberation.
Some Blue Grass stuff that my guitar teacher passed on to me. I don't have the disk in front of me...somebody Blake and some other guy (does that narrow it down for you? lol).
Andrew Bird's Noble Beast. Not my favourite Bird album but it's still growing on me.
And the iPod shuffle.

Ex Lion Tamer
03-11-2009, 05:39 AM
I've been working on the daunting, but enjoyable tyask of transfering a good portion of my vinyl to digital. It's not a very effecient process, but it is offering me the opportunity to listen to many albums that I wouldn't otherwise pull from the shelf. Here's what I did last week...

Joni Mitchell: Blue and Court & Spark
Gregory Isaacs; Night Nurse and Mr. Isaacs
The Au Pairs - Playing With a Different Sex; (great, underappreciated album and band; where would Throwing Muses be without this band as forerunners?)
Adam & the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier; (I know it's cheesey, but Side 1 is killer - side 2...not so much?)
Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
Bob Marley & the Wailers - Catch a Fire (could this be the greatest album cover ever?)
Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish (no THIS is the greatest album cover ever!)
Ray Brown Trio - Soular Energy (Gene Harris on piano, smokes on this album)
Albert King - Born Under a Bad SIgn
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
The Band
The Glands
Damon & Naomi with Ghost

And I picked up Nick Cave's Dig Lazarus Dig on vinyl on Saturday, which I gave one spin and will no doubt have in in my rotation for the next few weeks.

MasterCylinder
03-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish
Albert King - Born Under a Bad SIgn

WOW -- have not heard those two in a while.........great stuff.

Hyfi
03-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Jason Falkner - Author Unknown

Frank Zappa - Guitar

On Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar, Frank took live solos and put them on top of backup tracks to unrelated songs and called it xenocracy or something. I didn't care for the result. Guitar was marketed as the sequel but it's not. These are all straight up real recordings of live guitar solos. Clapton, Hendrix and Beck were as good as Zappa.

This is a great disk but kinda hard to listen to all the way thru. I think it's the other way around, Zappa was as good as the others. The only time I got to see him was way back the night after he did Saturday Night Live with the Coneheads in the late '70s. What a performance they put on with so much equipment the players could only move about 3 feet each.

Spun ELP Best Of this morning after getting tickets to see Keith Emerson the other day.

At work a mix of Buckethead, Praxis, SMV, and Tal Wilkenfeld.

3-LockBox
03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I been spinnin the new Neko Case, which I like, except for the crickets. John Frusciante as well.

I been dippin into some '90s stock as of late - Collective Soul:best of, Live:Throwing Copper, Gin Blossoms:New Miserable Experience, and Mark Hollis' solo from '98.

As for jazz, I been spinning a comp I've made of great albums from '59. I prolly need not say who, cuz I'm sure those who might be interested, already know who made great albums in '59 (Mingus, Brubeck, Davis, Evans, Coltrane).

Auricauricle
03-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Now that She Who Must be Obeyed is re-couping and Spring Break has come, there's been some time to kick back....Last night, friends were over, the wine was flowing and memories were pouring. The "set" began with a fairly garish clang of MD's Kind of Blue. Followed by Joni Mitchell's Night Ride Home and the new Anoushka Shankar Live at Carnegie Hall rounded out a very enjoyable evening.

ForeverAutumn
03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I been spinnin the new Neko Case, which I like, except for the crickets. John Frusciante as well.

I been dippin into some '90s stock as of late - Collective Soul:best of, Live:Throwing Copper, Gin Blossoms:New Miserable Experience, and Mark Hollis' solo from '98.

As for jazz, I been spinning a comp I've made of great albums from '59. I prolly need not say who, cuz I'm sure those who might be interested, already know who made great albums in '59 (Mingus, Brubeck, Davis, Evans, Coltrane).

I haven't listened to that Gin Blossoms disk in years. I played it a lot when it was first released.

BradH
03-11-2009, 12:44 PM
This is a great disk but kinda hard to listen to all the way thru.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you're talking about the 2-disc set of live Zappa solos instead of Jason Falkner. Yeah, it's a lot in one sitting but I'm a freak for his solos and it was a Saturday night.

Did I ever send you the 1974 live FM show of Gong with Bruford in Oslo?

Auricauricle
03-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Gong? Oh, man, you got me goin'....Where's my National Health? My Soft Machine? My PFM? Gargh! It's all on LP!

MindGoneHaywire
03-11-2009, 08:53 PM
New Madeleine Peyroux is out, started to listen but got interrupted, but I liked what I heard.

Johnny Cash Remixed--like remix jazz comps, one or two cool ideas & the rest of it blows.

The Wondermints rec from 2002. Yow.

Some of the reissues in the '50 Years Of Bossa Nova' series on Blue Note. More the precursor to bossa nova as I've known it, not a home run with a few of these (Quarteto Novo, Deodato, Walter Wanderley), but interesting nonetheless.

A brief listen of both the new Black Lips & Luka Bloom recs sounded good.

David Bowie--Ziggy Stardust...and the last Raconteurs rec.

And some Pogues stuff. I'm not going to see the Pogues this time, and I spent enough years dealing with the Parade...but hell, it's that time of year.

ForeverAutumn
03-12-2009, 05:31 AM
David Bowie--Ziggy Stardust...

Starman was playing on the iPod shuffle as I was reading this!

The iPod shuffle god...he knows. :yesnod: :eek: