Question for those with Yamaha receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with Yamaha receiver

elvisisded
03-17-2004, 11:24 PM
I just got my HTR-5650 wired up tonight and I'm not getting quite the sound from my 6 year old Technics CD player was getting before with my old Sony reciever. The sound from Directv is fine. I don't have a subwoofer and I only have four speakers hooked up at the moment. Do I need a subwoofer to go with my Athena F1's I'm using as the main speakers? Maybe it's just me, but the bass just doesn't seem there.

markw
03-18-2004, 01:23 AM
What I find puzzling is that it seems to sound fine on some sources but not others.

You may want to re-read the manual. This is not a dig but simply some friendly advice from someone who has been ther. It took me a few weeks to get moderately comfortable with mine, and I've been playing with stereos and the like for 40 years now. It's a new, digital world out there now. Today's receivers can do a LOT, but geting all they can offer out of 'em can take some homework. Heck, it's been over a year now and I'm still finding hidden settings to play with.

For instance, my Denon 2802 has speaker settings where they can be set to either "large", whereby bass is sent to the main/surround and center) speakers as well as the subwoofer. Then it has a "small" setting where all bass is filtered out of the main/surround and center speaker.

Likewise, it has a subwoofer setting of "On" or "Off" (or similar). And, to further confuse the issue, some settings can be set on an individual input basis.

The reason I offer this advice is that even without a sub, the F1's deliver astounding bass for their size/price.

yamdsp-a1
03-18-2004, 05:18 AM
HI,

As noted above, you could have a setting wrong in the system, which may be causing your basss issues.

In addition, I can offer the follwoing things you should check or consider:

1) Is the bass tone control turned way down? YOu can always turn it up too, to get some punchier bass.
2) Is there a bass extension control - my Yam amp has one, not sure about yours? If so, turn it on and see if that helps
3) How do you have the CD hooked into the amp? ARe you using the Technic to do the DA conversion (RCA connection) or the Yamaha to do the conversion (digital coax or toslink)? If this is different from your previous set up, it could effect the sound.
4) It also could be perception, the yamaha may sound different than your old sony receiver. You are used to the Sony sound so it may take some time for your ears to become accustomed to how the Yammie sounds.

I am sure there are some other considerations but that is all I ahve for now.

Yam

omikey
03-18-2004, 05:41 AM
[QUOTE=markw]

Cole's Axioms:
a) The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant
b) The population is growing.

QUOTE]

How does this mainifest itself in new borns ?

Does this mean that there is less intelligence for some, and more to those that already have it ?

How is the intelligence passed around ?

If all the intelligence is constant, what happens to an individual's intelligence when they leave the planet ?

If it stays on the planet, how is it re-distributed ?

Just wondering, thanks for the interesting thoughts :-)

elvisisded
03-18-2004, 06:49 AM
I do have the front main speakers set to large and the subwoofer set to none. I've turned the bass up to 10 and the treble down to 4. It just doesn't' seen to have the punch that the old Sony had, but maybe it is just a matter of time for my ears to adjust. I had the Sony hooked up to the Athena's for only a week and I could really tell the difference. There is a ton of settings to deal with on the Yamaha. Maybe I just need to find the right combination. Would a subwoofer or a center channel speaker make a significant difference? It just sounds like something is missing. My "London Calling" cd used to sound like I had the Clash right in the room. Now it soulds just like any old stereo. Thanks in advance.

wasch_24
03-18-2004, 06:56 AM
You may need to access the manual setup portion of the five band EQ. I'm not familiar with the 5650 but when I initially hooked up my RXV-1400 I really had to tweak the EQ settings in order to get my mains to sound the same as they did connected to the same receiver in the store. In the end I left the bass and terble at '0' and kept adjusting the EQ until it sounded right.

elvisisded
03-18-2004, 09:28 AM
What setting did you end up with?

uncooked
03-18-2004, 09:58 AM
i have the 5650 as well, with athena speakers like you to... just another person with a htr line amp , and athena's theres so many, "NOT a bad thing, i have the same thing"

the 5650 has an insane amount of tweaking to do to it, like crossovers, dynamic range,

take alook at the dynamic range setting and see what yours is at, the manual describes what the different setting are for, mine is set for standard, but then my speakers are small. you have the big tower athena's so you might want to switch it max, which sends the whole signal to the speaker.

what type of sony was it? im sure it is just settings because mine sounds great and i dont think a sony could take it, unless it was like a ES type one.

also the setting you have for bass, and treble seem to be very high for the amp. i think mine is like , bass 1 , and treble 2

but i have a subwoofer.

elvisisded
03-18-2004, 01:44 PM
I do a lot of listening at low volume levels. Would a sub help with the bass at low levels? By low levels I mean just above conversation level.

uncooked
03-18-2004, 02:02 PM
o yea definetely. you can set the crossover wherever you would like.

how is your 5650 for power? does it have enough for you?

zapr
03-18-2004, 03:12 PM
.........I'm not sure about the htr line but the rxv line has parameter adjustments for room size, delay, livliness, etc. If you go into room size, the defaut is 1.0. Going down to say 0.5 will add more bass. The lower you go the more bass you get. Going up the less bass. Going up makes the room sound bigger but you will notice a loss of bass. Give that a try............Zapr.

elvisisded
03-18-2004, 03:15 PM
The 5650 really has a lot of power.There is somany setting to adjust it might take a few days to get it all dialed in.

uncooked
03-18-2004, 03:22 PM
yea its got some power, i need a new centre becuase my c.5 athena craps out at high volume "like really high" around -8 which is almost cranked, it starts clipping.

so how does the asf1's sound? im thinking of getting some asf2"s because there $280 off at future shop right now, basically 19 dollars more then a set of asf1's would be.

elvisisded
03-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Just a word of thanks to everyone that chipped in on my sound issue with the bass. I took some of your advice, dove in to the manual changed a few settings and couldn't be happier. I have 2 more questions: Do you guys change the listening mode everytime you change channels? I've been leaving it on "Variety/Sports" for most of the regular tv viewing I do. Also, I hooked up the optical cable from my Ultimate TV/DTV box and from my PS2. Does it matter if I still have the regular RCA type audio cable pugged in? Thanks.

markw
03-18-2004, 09:42 PM
I hooked up the optical cable from my Ultimate TV/DTV box and from my PS2. Does it matter if I still have the regular RCA type audio cable pugged in? Thanks.

Can't comment on thelistenng mode but this is one of those "personal preference" things. There is no right or wrong. It's whatever sounds best to you.

As far as the Ultimate box goes, in theoy, you should need one or the other, not both. Does either manual state anything differently?

So, waddaya think of the F1's now?

elvisisded
03-18-2004, 09:45 PM
F1's = :)

cedricf1
03-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Could you tell me what settings helped you the most? I just replaced an old Denon AVR-2800 with an HTR-5660 and I'm having a similar problem as yours - bass not sounding as good (deep). I do have a subwoofer.

TinHere
03-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Could you tell me what settings helped you the most? I just replaced an old Denon AVR-2800 with an HTR-5660 and I'm having a similar problem as yours - bass not sounding as good (deep). I do have a subwoofer.

Did you set the crossover on the sub all the way to the right and use the crossover in the receiver? I have a 2400 with the crossover set to 80, speakers set to small, and it works great. Good luck.

elvisisded
03-20-2004, 06:58 AM
On my HTR-5650 I usually listen to music in the Pro Logic 2 mode with diminsion set to +3 Panarama ON, the bass is at +8 and the treble is at +4. Hope that helps. I'm still playing around with different modes. The "Rock Concert" mode sounds really cool for "live" cd's. Just like a small club.