Eva Cassidy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Eva Cassidy

02audionoob
03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Topic: Eva Cassidy would've been big if she was still with us. True or false? Discuss.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnucawyfE8k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnucawyfE8k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MasterCylinder
03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Topic: Eva Cassidy would've been big if she was still with us. True or false? Discuss.

I believe that to be true for all musicians that depart this World at the summit of their creative years, i.e., Buddy Holly, Otis Redding.........perhaps even Morrison & Hendrix.

Thanks for posting this............I have a compilation CD of Cassidy's best stuff that a friend gave me..........I am now putting it in the player.

MasterCylinder
03-10-2009, 05:30 AM
I believe that to be true for all musicians that depart this World at the summit of their creative years, i.e., Buddy Holly, Otis Redding.........perhaps even Morrison & Hendrix.

Thanks for posting this............I have a compilation CD of Cassidy's best stuff that a friend gave me..........I am now putting it in the player.

I misread the first time..........please forgive.

I should have replied as follows :

Yes..........Eva would have been good without tragedy.........like Morrison and Hendrix.
She was on the rise (awards and recognition) at the age of 33 when the cancer got her.
I believe Buddy Holly and Otis Redding got more listens due to their untimely deaths.
On the other hand it could be argued that all musicians that die in their best creative years are given a boost in popularity.

Javier
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh yes she had a great great voice always a delight to listening to her.

02audionoob
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Occasionally they appear to be on the cusp of the big time when they go. ..Stevie Ray Vaughn, Selena, Eva Cassidy. Others become legends when they go.

Auricauricle
03-10-2009, 04:21 PM
And then there's the Quiet Choir who put it out there and are scarcely ever heard....

blackraven
03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
She would have been a huge star. The problem with her was that the studio's did not know how to classify her music. She sang Blue's, Country, easy listening and Folk as well as some Soft Rock.

I have 4 of her CD's. She has one of the best female voices I have ever heard. Every one that I have played her music for, young and old like her music. And my Magnepans really do her voice justice.

You should hear her version of Stormy Monday Blue's.

Auricauricle
03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I have Imagine, which I bought after listening to it at a bookstore I visited once. She was definitely good--she has a beautiful, clear-as-light-of-day, voice and her emotions just drip on the floor...I can see why you're such a fan.

NickT
03-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Awesome voice, and I also have some cd's of hers which I love. However, without sounding too harsh (now don't start flaming here!) - great voice, but just a covers artist? Did she actually write any of her own material, or have I just not got those albums?

3-LockBox
03-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Awesome voice, and I also have some cd's of hers which I love. However, without sounding too harsh (now don't start flaming here!) - great voice, but just a covers artist? Did she actually write any of her own material, or have I just not got those albums?

Not unprecedented. Remember Linda Ronstadt? Most of her early big successes were covers of old '60s tunes. Many pop artists write very few original songs themselves.

Luvin Da Blues
03-12-2009, 05:30 AM
You should hear her version of Stormy Monday Blue's.

I know I should have a listen to this. What disk is this on?

blackraven
03-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Its on the live at Blue's Alley CD http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1187964

Also listen to her version of What a wonderful world and Fields Of Gold on the same CD.

Click on the track listing to listen to song samples.

Luvin Da Blues
03-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks BR, I'll check it out tonight. :1:

BarryL
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM

I had never heard Eva Cassidy before, so thanks for sharing this. When I saw her name, I was thinking of someone else, an elderly black woman from Africa who became a big star - can't think of her name right now.

I'll have to investigate more.

If you like Eva, you may like Sandy Denny. Her solo albums are a mixed bunch, but hidden in there are some really great songs. Denny was the singer for Fairport Convention for a number of years in the '70's, and I recall reading in the liner notes to one of their albums that she was so good that when she joined the band for her audition as a singer, the band felt that it was the other way around - that they were auditioning to be her back-up band.

She's probably best known for writing Who Knows Where The Time Goes.

Auricauricle
03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I like Sandy Denny very much and am a big Strawbs fan. Great songsmith and a very dulcet voice....Are you talking about Miriam Makeba, by chance? If you like her, you might like Angleique Kidjo.

BarryL
03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I like Sandy Denny very much and am a big Strawbs fan. Great songsmith and a very dulcet voice....Are you talking about Miriam Makeba, by chance? If you like her, you might like Angleique Kidjo.

No, I don't think so. The person I'm thinking of was an older African black woman. I think the big thing was that she was a grandmother or something. I don't remember the story about how she was discovered, but it seemed a bit concocted - something scheme dreamed up by a big record company marketing department to sell World Music CDs. Someone gave me one of her CDs as a gift, but it didn't do much for me. I'm sure I still have it in a box somewhere, but it's not worth the trouble of digging it up, unless perhaps to throw it out! LOL.

Auricauricle
03-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Unfortunately many of the African musicians I listen to are male, the oldest probably being Selif Keita. Shame about the "scheme dreamed up by a big record company marketing department" situation. Lots of wonderful music coming from that corner of the world, and a lot of folks getting greedy and diluting it down fot the masses....