tv transformer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : tv transformer

uncooked
03-17-2004, 09:41 PM
i have the opportunity to pick up a free 46" rca tv, the people say it needs a new transformer. anyone know what kind of cost i would be looking at to fix it? i enjoy fixing things and i thought it might be a good project. but if its like 200 bucks then i dont think i will. if i could get it up and running for under 50 bucks it would be great for my bedroom lol. monster old tv.

anyone have any experience i cant seem to find anything on the net, specifically on how much and where

i live in canada, i think i will phone radio shack tommo and see what they have. its to late to phone now, so i thought i would post this, and see if anyone knows anything.

Smokey
03-17-2004, 11:12 PM
the people say it needs a new transformer.

Well it might be that, or it might need new capacitor, diodes and/or complete power supply over haul. So by not having proper equipments [and knowledge] to diagnose it first, you might be pouring money down the wrong way.

Also depend on age of TV, as RPTV ages, it will lose "light" capability of its internal CRTs (three of them). So you may be looking at that expense also if you get your TV up and running.

I would say it is more trouble that worth :)

uncooked
03-17-2004, 11:16 PM
well im going to phone them tomorrow and see what they say. maybe they know for sure what is wrong with it. then it would be worth taking.

do you know if you can install that stuff yourself or do you need to pay a technician to do it?

Smokey
03-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Yes you could do it yourself. But you will need a solder-gun and solder , and maybe miniature screw/nut drivers. You also have to take out the chassis so you can solder/de solder easier.

But be carful not to get shocked since some capacitors might still be holding their charge. You can discharge them by shortening their leads to chassis's ground with a piece of wire.

Good luck :)

woodman
03-18-2004, 10:52 AM
well im going to phone them tomorrow and see what they say. maybe they know for sure what is wrong with it. then it would be worth taking.

Just howinthehell would Radio Shack be able to tell you "for sure" what ails this set? Their claim: " ... you've got questions? We've got answers" does NOT apply here! Does the set not power up? In that case, there are a thousand and one different things that could be responsible. As a matter of fact, even the most competent technician cannot tell you for sure what a given set needs without extensive testing to arrive at a diagnosis - which can sometimes prove to be "wrong" after the fact!

Bottom line? Run, don't walk away from this beast just as fast as your little legs will carry you! It's a financial disaster in the making!

do you know if you can install that stuff yourself or do you need to pay a technician to do it?

The repair of an RPTV (or ANY tv set for that matter), is NOT a DIY proposition. It's a challenge for the most experienced techs there are ... I should know, I spent 50 years of my life doing it.

markw
03-18-2004, 08:53 PM
So, are you gonna grab your Black and Decker drill and take up home dentistry next? Howsa bouts taking a kitchen knife and trying some do it yourself surgery while you're at it?

After all, who needs schools and work experience since we have the internet. Anybody can do anything if they ask enough questions on the internet.

I sometimes think you should change your moniker from "uncooked" to "half baked", like some of your ideas.

There's a lot to learn here if you would just listen to what people are saying.

uncooked
03-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Just howinthehell would Radio Shack be able to tell you "for sure" what ails this set? Their claim: " ... you've got questions? We've got answers" does NOT apply here! Does the set not power up? In that case, there are a thousand and one different things that could be responsible. As a matter of fact, even the most competent technician cannot tell you for sure what a given set needs without extensive testing to arrive at a diagnosis - which can sometimes prove to be "wrong" after the fact!

Bottom line? Run, don't walk away from this beast just as fast as your little legs will carry you! It's a financial disaster in the making!

The repair of an RPTV (or ANY tv set for that matter), is NOT a DIY proposition. It's a challenge for the most experienced techs there are ... I should know, I spent 50 years of my life doing it.

i wasnt talking about radio shack....... i was talking about phoning the people. obviously radio shack wouldnt know whats wrong, all i know is that they sell transformers

markw
03-19-2004, 03:53 AM
all i know is that they sell transformers

Do you have any idea many diffferent types of transformers there are in this field?

A statement like this simply makes my point even more strongly.

Knowledge is more important in this endeavor than a mere transformer. Again, you would do well to listen to the advice of others and learn.

Many have much more experience in many matters as well a this one. A wise person learns from them as opposed to making the same mistakes needlesly.

But, hey, it's your life and you can make all the stupid mistakes you want as long as you only affect yourself. Sorry if I pissed in your cornflakes. I'll keep out of your way as long as you don't give others harmful advice. In that case, I'll jump down your throat with both feet.

woodman
03-19-2004, 08:11 AM
... all i know is that they sell transformers

Wrong! They sell no such thing, fella. Out of the many thousands of parts contained in that RCA beast, less than 1% are available from Radio Shack - and any and all transformers are not part of that 1%.

As I said in my previous post ... RUN, don't walk away from this "deal" before it eats you (financially) for lunch, and spits out the pieces!

uncooked
03-19-2004, 11:32 AM
i was at radio shack last night and they have them...... all i needed to do was give them a model and number and they would order it.

but im not getting the tv becuase it turned into a bidding war. alot of people wanted it and he said he had offers up to $100 so i told him let the guy with the 100 take it then. it would be fun to look through if it was free but im not paying for an old tv,