Headphone amp question. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Headphone amp question.

GMichael
03-09-2009, 06:20 AM
I have a coworker who is trying to improve the sound he is getting from his headphones. I don't know too much about headphones. Can anyone give me options to tell him? Here is his question. (as received)

"I bought a new set of headphones for work, they sound really good, they’re full spectrum whatever that means, but they go from 10 Hz to 27khz. Anyway I’m not allowed to touch the sound hardware of my work computer so the sound I get without maxing out the equalizer is very faded out, not loud at all, do you know anything I can between the headphone jack of the computer and my headphones to make it louder, possibly boost the bass. Software amps simply up the eq settings and make everything sound loud and distorted."

GMichael
03-09-2009, 06:56 AM
I see the Behringer MicroAmp HA400 on line. Anyone know if this is a decent unit?
http://bsless.stores.yahoo.net/ha400.html

Feanor
03-09-2009, 07:12 AM
I see the Behringer MicroAmp HA400 on line. Anyone know if this is a decent unit?
http://bsless.stores.yahoo.net/ha400.html

A slightly more up-market solution would be something like this Total BitHead (http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/portable-amps/headroom-total-bithead.php) from HeadRoom that includes its own USB DAC as well as head amp.

simmel
03-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Tell him to get an Apple iPod.

GMichael
03-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Whoa! Did I mention that this guy is cheap? And thinks that Bose is the best thing he's ever heard?

Feanor
03-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Whoa! Did I mention that this guy is cheap? And thinks that Bose is the best thing he's ever heard?

Thou gets what thou payest for. :p

GMichael
03-09-2009, 07:33 AM
I agree. But we're talking weakest link here. Will he be able to utilize all $160 worth of that amp with his $20 headphones?

atomicAdam
03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree. But we're talking weakest link here. Will he be able to utilize all $160 worth of that amp with his $20 headphones?

Probably will not be able to utilize all $160 worth of amp.

It sounds as well if he isn't allowed to touch the sound setting on his PC at work he might also be locked out of installing any new applications which a USB DAC would probably need.

Sounds to be he better learn to like music at a low volume.

Feanor
03-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Probably will not be able to utilize all $160 worth of amp.

It sounds as well if he isn't allowed to touch the sound setting on his PC at work he might also be locked out of installing any new applications which a USB DAC would probably need.

Sounds to be he better learn to like music at a low volume.

Well I won't say "sound settings" based on what he said ...

... Anyway I’m not allowed to touch the sound hardware of my work computer so ...
So that would seem to permit select "USB audio device" for Sound and Audio Devices.

But anyway, sounds like $160 is too much.

02audionoob
03-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I have a coworker who is trying to improve the sound he is getting from his headphones. I don't know too much about headphones. Can anyone give me options to tell him? Here is his question. (as received)

"I bought a new set of headphones for work, they sound really good, they’re full spectrum whatever that means, but they go from 10 Hz to 27khz. Anyway I’m not allowed to touch the sound hardware of my work computer so the sound I get without maxing out the equalizer is very faded out, not loud at all, do you know anything I can between the headphone jack of the computer and my headphones to make it louder, possibly boost the bass. Software amps simply up the eq settings and make everything sound loud and distorted."

Maybe he bought an honest-to-goodness decent pair of headphones and now doesn't have enough power to drive them. Maybe what he needs is a decent set of ear buds.

Arande2
04-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey.

If he really doesn't want to spend much (and only wants to make it louder), he could probably A) Buy a CMoy off eBay for ~$35 or B) buy a Boostaroo for ~$30.

Either way it'll be louder, but a CMoy can probably be custom-ordered with a certain gain (voltage multiplier of the input to output) so that it'll be loud enough off of his computer.

I built my CMoy about 8 months ago (modified to add bass boost) and it works well for me.

-Me

GMichael
04-13-2009, 05:23 AM
He ended up going with an external USB solution.

Thanks everyone.

audioguy27
04-14-2009, 09:30 PM
I bought a little amp that is compatible with my laptop so I would imagine it would work for a PC too. Easy, plugs into computer outlet without software/configuring issues. I bought theFubarIII at SoundAdditions.com. Hope this helps, dude!

Hyfi
04-15-2009, 08:16 AM

What would anyone expect from $20 headphones? A pair of Grado 125s will be in order but he would actually have to fork up some cash.

GMichael
04-15-2009, 08:48 AM
What would anyone expect from $20 headphones? A pair of Grado 125s will be in order but he would actually have to fork up some cash.

He just wants it loud. (and to be able to think that his equipment is almost as good as Bose)
I've given up trying to get him to see the light. I just nudge him in the right direction and hope for the best.

twc644
05-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Keep nudging him to find the money to purchase a decent headphone amp.Two I would highly recommend is the "Lambda" from Z-Audio or one from Little Dot.He could check the used amp forum over at Headfi.Plus, a very nice sounding pair of very affordable headphones is the Sennheiser px-100..usually under $45 bucks at Amazon.I personally love them and I'm a Grado guy at heart !

hifitommy
05-16-2009, 12:07 PM
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/headphone-amp-list/

various pricing as you can see.

cvcgolf
06-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Go here for all headphone info. These people live, eat and breathe headphones and everything that goes with them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/