Acronyms [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Acronyms

02audionoob
03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
The Wikipedia article on acronyms says there's controversy over what constitutes an acronym. I say radar, scuba and NATO are acronyms while FBI, LCD and VCR are initialisms. What say you?

markw
03-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I'd say they are both the same: They are all derived from the first letter of a string of words. Where I see differences between what you cite as acronyms and initialisms is that your acronyms lend themselves easily to pronunciations, thereby becoming part of the spoken word while your initialisms don't.

Here in Joisey we have another popular acronym: Bohica, Bend Over. Here It Comes Again.

Auricauricle
03-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Always liked Bohica. What abbout TANSTAAFL? That's an abbreviation, though, isn't it?

JohnMichael
03-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Laser used to an acronym and now is a common word.

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

markw
03-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Laser used to an acronym and now is a common word.Out here in jersey, due to it's common and constant usage, so is bohica.

markw
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Always liked Bohica. What abbout TANSTAAFL? That's an abbreviation, though, isn't it?Since it's made up of only the leading letters of each word in the phrase, I'd consider it an acronym.

I'd call abbreviations ashortening of a single word to as few characters as possible. I'd say that examples of abberviations would be words like Mr., Mrs,, etc...

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Acronyms vs. Initialisms.

For what it's worth, in all my years of studying English I've never heard of initialisms. I had to Google it. The best definition that I could find is that Acronyms are sounded as words while Initialisms are pronounced as letters. This would make audionoobs originating post correct.

If we can accept these definitions as correct then Bohica would be an acronym.

Auricauricle
03-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Initialism....About as bad a word as signage (eeech!).

markw
03-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Acronyms vs. Initialisms.

For what it's worth, in all my years of studying English I've never heard of initialisms. I had to Google it. The best definition that I could find is that Acronyms are sounded as words while Initialisms are pronounced as letters. This would make audionoobs originating post correct.

If we can accept these definitions as correct then Bohica would be an acronym.But I'd go a bit further and say that initialisms are a subset of acronyms.

kexodusc
03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I had to look up the definition of Bohica, then I realized I'd seen it before in the fine print at the bottom of my tax return....

ForeverAutumn
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I had to look up the definition of Bohica, then I realized I'd seen it before in the fine print at the bottom of my tax return....

Oooh, good one. Two more kexticles for you, if I may be so bold.

@@

Auricauricle
03-09-2009, 11:07 AM
How 'bout Snafu or Jafo or Fubar? Always thought they oughtta be in the OED.

GMichael
03-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Oooh, good one. Two more kexticles for you, if I may be so bold.

@@

You, M' lady, are a very good girl. Keep up the good work.

02audionoob
03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
How 'bout Snafu or Jafo or Fubar? Always thought they oughtta be in the OED.

By the time an acronym starts getting written in lower case, it's probably on its way to making the dictionary.

Auricauricle
03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Good point! And markw, you're probably right with your definition of abbreviations. Obviously, I was not an English major!

Rich-n-Texas
03-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Good point! And markw, you're probably right with your definition of abbreviations. Obviously, I was not an English major!
Yeah, no sh!t dumbass!

Ooops, wrong thread. :o

dean_martin
03-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey Rich, isn't there a school in Texas named Sam Houston Institute of Technology?

Auricauricle
03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure, but it may be affiliated with Fuque U!