Music that drives me up the wall [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music that drives me up the wall

elapsed
03-07-2009, 08:25 PM
What music causes you to quickly change the radio station? A few on my list

- Anything new by U2. Bono has not been relevant in over a decade, if not two. Give the ego a rest.
- Coldplay, with the rare expection
- Maroon 5. What is it that women love about the lead singer? Irritating
- Katy Perry, talentless pop
- Nickelback. For the love of god please stop making music.

/end of rant

cheers,
elapsed

blackraven
03-07-2009, 08:32 PM
What you said!

blackraven
03-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Add B. Spears, most rap and hip hop to that list. I guess I'm showing my age here.

elapsed
03-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Naw...there's plenty of great rap and hip hop out there. In my music collection.. Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Jay Z's black album, early Kanye West. All very talented artists (despite Kanye and Jay Z's ego's)

Also funny you mention Ms Spears.. I just picked this up on vinyl today at HMV for $8, couldn't resist!

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=423190

It's really hard to put this experience into context.. masterpiece might be one word to describe this album. :thumbsup:

cheers,
elapsed

blackraven
03-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm a Blue's, Jazz, Rock and Classical man. And at least I didn't say all Rapp and HH was bad.

elapsed
03-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Some other albums I picked up today on vinyl

Portishead - Dummy
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Metallica - Kill Them All
Cat Power - The Greatest

I'm all over the map!

cheers,
elapsed

02audionoob
03-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Whether it's good or bad, rap would make me change the radio station...assuming I would listen to a station that plays it.

emaidel
03-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Whether it's good or bad, rap would make me change the radio station...assuming I would listen to a station that plays it.

I'm with you. To me, "rap music" is an oxymoron.

This Guy
03-08-2009, 06:16 AM
That means you haven't heard any of the good underground hip hop. If you listened to some of The Roots, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Aesop Rock, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Nas, People Under The Stairs, and plenty more, I think you'd have a different idea of it. If you don't like any of those artists, I think you'd atleast respect them. You shouldn't judge entire genres solely by what you hear is represented of them on the radio or tv. If you were to only give one rap artist a chance, search up "The Roots". They were my favorite concert and I've seen some big bands.

simmel
03-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Any of the modern female singers 1990-2009, this includes those horrid girl groups all of them, from the spice girls on, they all look and sound the same.

Oh! and one more "Radiohead", what a nightmare, I bought "OK Computer" before I had heard it. Then I listened to it on the radio, and didn't even take it out of the cling film. I gave it away. :arf:

elapsed
03-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Any of the modern female singers 1990-2009, this includes those horrid girl groups all of them, from the spice girls on, they all look and sound the same.
Are you talking just girl groups, are all female artists? There's still plenty of great talent over the past two decades, if you remove some of the layers of pop.

Oh! and one more "Radiohead", what a nightmare, I bought "OK Computer" before I had heard it. Then I listened to it on the radio, and didn't even take it out of the cling film. I gave it away. :arf:
Yup I'll agree with you on this one, I also gave away OK Computer.

cheers,
elapsed

02audionoob
03-08-2009, 08:15 AM
That means you haven't heard any of the good underground hip hop. If you listened to some of The Roots, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Aesop Rock, DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Nas, People Under The Stairs, and plenty more, I think you'd have a different idea of it. If you don't like any of those artists, I think you'd atleast respect them. You shouldn't judge entire genres solely by what you hear is represented of them on the radio or tv. If you were to only give one rap artist a chance, search up "The Roots". They were my favorite concert and I've seen some big bands.
I certainly didn't mean to judge rap as bad. Any genre has good, bad, important, trivial, etc. My answer only meant to say I don't like to listen to it. There are those who don't like my favorite music, either.

Luvin Da Blues
03-08-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't give a rat's @ss what impresses Shania Twain. :yesnod:

This Guy
03-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I certainly didn't mean to judge rap as bad. Any genre has good, bad, important, trivial, etc. My answer only meant to say I don't like to listen to it. There are those who don't like my favorite music, either.

My comment was mostly going to emaidel who said rap and music is an oxymoron. I just had to say something because there are so many very talented "rap" artists that he was putting down as a whole. I'm just trying to get people to open their eyes to some of the other great music out there. I don't have a favorite genre or artist.

s dog
03-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Jonas brothers, Seen them on tv doing a dallas cowboys half time show, Man are they bad, cowboys wasn't much better.

JoeE SP9
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
My comment was mostly going to emaidel who said rap and music is an oxymoron. I just had to say something because there are so many very talented "rap" artists that he was putting down as a whole. I'm just trying to get people to open their eyes to some of the other great music out there. I don't have a favorite genre or artist.
I'm with you on this subject. As far as I'm concerned there is only 2 kinds of music. Good and bad and I'm the Judge here in my house. I know lots of folks "dis" HH and Rap but they may listen to Heavy Metal most of which leaves me wanting to cut my ears off and move to Antarctica.

For instance earlier in this thread elapsed wrote he bought the albums below

elapsed
Portishead - Dummy--------------------------------Heard them think they suck
Motorhead - Ace of Spades----------------------"ditto"
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral----------Suck even more
Metallica - Kill Them All--------------------------------Make me wish I were deaf
Cat Power - The Greatest-----------------------------Cat who, what, oh never mind

I have heard all these groups. This is really how I feel about them.

I didn't intend offending elapsed or any one else. You have got to remember there is so much different music because we are all different.
BTW: I don't like most Rap and HH either. I'm not fond of Blue Grass as it makes me want to throw up.

I do just love West Zaprovian Zither music especially when its played live on the backs of waterbuffalo.:devil:

JoeE SP9
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
What music causes you to quickly change the radio station? A few on my list

- Anything new by U2. Bono has not been relevant in over a decade, if not two. Give the ego a rest.
- Coldplay, with the rare expection
- Maroon 5. What is it that women love about the lead singer? Irritating
- Katy Perry, talentless pop
- Nickelback. For the love of god please stop making music.

/end of rant

cheers,
elapsed

I heard a preview of the new U2 CD on the Deutsche Welle TV news. I will probably buy it. It may turn out that there is only one good song on it. No matter, I've got lots of CD's and LP's like that.

elapsed
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
For instance earlier in this thread elapsed wrote he bought the albums below

elapsed
Motorhead - Ace of Spades----------------------"ditto"
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral----------Suck even more
Metallica - Kill Them All--------------------------------Make me wish I were deaf
Cat Power - The Greatest-----------------------------Cat who, what, oh never mind

I have heard all these groups. This is really how I feel about them.
:thumbsup:

Exactly. We all have different musical taste, just as our taste in gear varies widely. There's no wrong and no right (with the exception of Nickelback, anyone who listens to this worthless Canadian rock should take their lives immediately)

cheers,
elapsed

simmel
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM
"Are you talking just girl groups, are all female artists? There's still plenty of great talent over the past two decades, if you remove some of the layers of pop"

Sorry I should have inserted POP between Female and Singers. I know there are some good female artists out there, but they tend to get over shadowed by the plethora of wannabe pop singers. This is mainly the fault of the record companies and producers, who will put out any old rubbish just to please the so called teeny fans, who tend to switch their allegiance from one day to the next.

02audionoob
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I've heard many people say they like "all kinds of music" but I've never met one for whom it was true. We like what we listen to and we listen to what we like. People raised on sweet potatoes like sweet potatoes. Others wonder how these people can eat mushy orange food.

Worf101
03-09-2009, 05:01 AM
I've heard many people say they like "all kinds of music" but I've never met one for whom it was true. We like what we listen to and we listen to what we like. People raised on sweet potatoes like sweet potatoes. Others wonder how these people can eat mushy orange food.
I beg to differ slightly. As a musician I don't "like" all forms of music but I can "appreciate" the musicianship if done well and with conviction. I'm not a big fan of most "Bollywood" music with mousquito like vocals and an hour of reggae and blues is about all I can stand at one sitting BUT the best of all genres I can listen to for quite a while.

Da Worfster

GMichael
03-09-2009, 05:13 AM
I agree with most of what has been said so far. For me, Rap and Hip Hop make me run to the remote to change out the station. Also, there's that one country song. You know, the one with the twangy voice.

Feanor
03-09-2009, 07:18 AM
I can't handle anything with a relentless, unchanging back-beat. That is to say most of today's popular music. :mad:

I'm a classical listener 90%; jazz, mostly hard-bop or modal, 8%; world music, mostly classic forms such as ragas, 2%.

elapsed
03-09-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm not a big fan of most "Bollywood" music with mousquito like vocals and an hour of reggae and blues is about all I can stand at one sitting BUT the best of all genres I can listen to for quite a while.
Let me try some Bollywood mix on you.. M.I.A. off her last LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLPUe9Xn9ZE

The mosquito like vocals at the beginning are actually in English, she's singing very subtly about genocide in Rwanda, Congo and Darfur. Great album, among my favorites last year (though I'm sure plenty of you will hate this)

cheers,
elapsed

Auricauricle
03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Tchaikovsy: Piano Concerto No. 1....Pure, unadulterated schmaltz!

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 3. Yes, he was very good, perhaps great, but boy this one gets so tedious.

Pachelbel: Canon and Gigue. A beautiful piece of music ruined by a billion performances. Enough!

Barber: Adagio for Strings. Soaring, awe-ful, endless....

Khatchaturian: Gayane Ballet Suite. Okay, okay, anything but the Sabre Dance! I'll talk!

mlsstl
03-09-2009, 11:30 AM
This gal is interesting if you like the Fiona Apple or Laurie Anderson type of music.

Luvin Da Blues
03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
........ BUT the best of all genres I can listen to for quite a while.......Da Worfster

Genre_ally speaking, I concur. 'Course the better the system gets the more I'm open to music I may not have given a chance previously.

Auricauricle
03-09-2009, 05:15 PM
...including Ellen de genres?

simmel
03-10-2009, 07:03 AM

The mosquito like vocals at the beginning are actually in English, she's singing very subtly about genocide in Rwanda, Congo and Darfur. Great album, among my favorites last year (though I'm sure plenty of you will hate this)

cheers,
elapsed

Sorry but I hate it just reading about it. :rolleyes5:

audio amateur
03-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Yup I'll agree with you on this one, I also gave away OK Computer.
I'm curious, what don't you two like about Radiohead/Ok Computer ?
(It happens to be one of my favourites.)

audio amateur
03-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Another of my favourites.
It's shocking to read stuff like this. I guess it simply goes to show it's all a matter of taste
This is their first and is IMO far superior to the second. Let's not talk about the third.

Auricauricle
03-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Journey....Steve Perry....Good for takin' the tarter off the teeth, nevertheless!

Auricauricle
03-10-2009, 10:41 AM
http://video.yahoo.com/network/100284668?v=4588685&l=3774737Y

basite
03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
click link at your own risk.

link to what they describe as 'hardstyle' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvXMcBEvTlY)

short put, probably the cheapest, most annoying and utterly useless cr@p out there.

and that's just the 'music', please don't get me started about the people that actually listen to it...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

basite
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Another of my favourites.
It's shocking to read stuff like this. I guess it simply goes to show it's all a matter of taste
This is their first and is IMO far superior to the second. Let's not talk about the third.

I think the third has got it's exciting songs too...

as you said, it's just a matter of taste :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

atomicAdam
03-10-2009, 02:12 PM

cheers,
elapsed

MIA kicks ass, but that video straight up sucks -

this video is much better

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7sei-eEjy4g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7sei-eEjy4g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

emesbee
03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Anything rap or hip-hop drives me up the wall. Monotonous, boring, verbal diarrhoeia.

jamison
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
twut09w85r02374r03749734 q840321784fghwsghwoehtgwyhtuwyrywqr

5r3274523874582375823578275igsgjeoijhgeruhye4uye9r ipsagouaqg8u80ewfg7w87rt3
395r89234582385492359ejgjsdgjsgjisjgjg

agasgfsdgsdgds

fdfdfdf
hgyjkyjyjasfasfdsa***fsd
fasdfreyytjkkkyk

chebukkieyukkie

audio amateur
03-16-2009, 03:07 AM
Right...

Feanor
03-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Tchaikovsy: Piano Concerto No. 1....Pure, unadulterated schmaltz!

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 3. Yes, he was very good, perhaps great, but boy this one gets so tedious.

Pachelbel: Canon and Gigue. A beautiful piece of music ruined by a billion performances. Enough!

Barber: Adagio for Strings. Soaring, awe-ful, endless....

Khatchaturian: Gayane Ballet Suite. Okay, okay, anything but the Sabre Dance! I'll talk!

Yes, I see where your coming from with this and I agree. Note that to a lot of people this stuff is classical music: they are essentially ignorant of anything that isn't of this schmaltzy ilk, (and they wonder why they don't like classical music).

Basically I tend to a similar reaction reaction to 75% of pieces from the Romatic era. (OK, Pachelbel is Baroque and Barber, Khatchaturianm and Rochmaninov are arguably Post-Romantic, but you've got the idea.) Personally I have no patience for anything by Schumann and very little by Brahms -- not that the greatness of these guys is in question. And as for Bruckner's stuff, it's just brutal.

Auricauricle
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I can't staza 'nother!

Worf101
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
To clarify on my Bollywood take. I LOVE some of the beats, and can dig the dance numbers but those vocals in that register.... ohhh mercy.

Da Worfster

Auricauricle
03-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Lagan is one o' my favorite films.--