Tony Levin- an observation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tony Levin- an observation

3-LockBox
03-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Ever gone to AMG.com and typed in the name <b>Tony Levin</b>, then scrolled down the list of people he's played with? AMG could've saved a lot of bandwidth and list the people he hasn't played with. Hell, even if I never intended to listen to <b>King Crimson</b>, I still own several CDs on which Levin plays bass or <i>stick</i> (whatever the hell that is). Has anyone here heard any of Levin's solo stuff? If so, comment please.

Dusty Chalk
03-18-2004, 06:53 AM
A Chapman Stick (http://www.stick.com/) is this weird hybrid between a guitar and a bass, and the neck is set up so that it's easier to play tapping than it is to play strumming. It has a very distinctive sound -- you hear it prominently in 80's era Crimson and Peter Gabriel's 3rd and 4th albums. If you check out any of the early live videos, you'll see exactly what's making that sound.

http://www.stick.com/articles/evolution/figure_2.jpg

Funnily enough, he's not my favourite Stickist -- that title goes to Greg Howard, whose 60 minute Stick solo live recording (no overdubs), Water on the Moon, is a must for any fans of the instrument.

But he is my second favourite, and the one who turned me on to the instrument in the first place.

Yeah, Pieces of the Sun and the follow-up live album, Double Espresso was a favourite amongst many of us last year (or perhaps it was 2002...?). Several of us had a chance to see him live, and it was with a kick-ass band. From the Caves of the Iron Mountain is kind of weird -- it was recorded binaurally in a cave.

I'm a huge fan of his -- there was a period in the 80's/90's (?) that he and Bruford did a bunch of studio work for artists with whom they are not usually associated -- Al Di Meola, Gowan, others.

You may also want to check out the jazz-fusion inspired Bozzio Levin Stevens, another board favourite.

Troy
03-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Levin is one of my favorite bass players. The guy whails.

DC covered most of the ground already.

Read this for more history:
http://www.stick.com/articles/birth/

There's this old black guy street musician in San Francisco that I see occasionally and he plays the stick! Sounds great hearing that thumpy twang echoing between the buildings.

"Pieces of the Sun" is excellent modern fusion in a similar vein to "Vertu" or Michael Manring's "Thonk". If you are a fan of 70s fusion and always wonder why no one's doing this kind of music, look to these albums. The live album isn't as strong, but I bet I'd like it more had I seen the tour.

Another killer fusion release in the last few years is "Bruford / Levin's Upper Extremities" commonly known as BLUE. Lots of Stick and wildly bizarre rhythmic experimentation.

The 2 "Bozzio / Levin / Stevens" are amazing studio improvs. Bozzio really shines on these, but lots of TLev Sticking too. Ditto the "Liquid Tension Experiment" albums. More metal and wankerish.

LDL
03-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Ever gone to AMG.com and typed in the name <b>Tony Levin</b>, then scrolled down the list of people he's played with? AMG could've saved a lot of bandwidth and list the people he hasn't played with. Hell, even if I never intended to listen to <b>King Crimson</b>, I still own several CDs on which Levin plays bass or <i>stick</i> (whatever the hell that is). Has anyone here heard any of Levin's solo stuff? If so, comment please.

you sound like someone well informed! If so you can tell me if I would like the " stick"
You also sound like someone in their late 30's from Tennessee,say possibly from northwest Tenn. I would think you could tell if I would like the "stick"

Mr MidFi
03-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Does anyone remember a 70s/80s jazz-fusion band called Kittyhawk? Some fanatastic Chapman stick work on their first album, I tells ya. I wish I head that one on CD...but I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

3-LockBox
03-26-2004, 10:31 AM
you sound like someone well informed! If so you can tell me if I would like the " stick"
You also sound like someone in their late 30's from Tennessee,say possibly from northwest Tenn. I would think you could tell if I would like the "stick"

Why...how did you know that?

LDL
03-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Why...how did you know that?

I knew you when you felt more like you did than you do now!