Need Cheap Speaks for Garage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Cheap Speaks for Garage

topspeed
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm replacing the frankenspeakers in the garage and want your opinions. I want to spend a little as possible (under $100/pr), because even though I spend most of my weekends in the garage, it's still just a garage.

These are the best I've found but I'm open to suggestions:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1ENC50

dean_martin
03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
don't laugh: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138

I've had mine for a couple years now and have lugged them to the beach, football games, the deck while I'm grillin', etc. The best thing is they sound good (soft dome tweeter) and play loud with very little power. I use mine with a first gen. Sonic Impact T-amp. They also perform very well with a vintage 30wpc Sansui integrated. These speakers used to go on sale for less than $40, but $75.00 seems to be about the best price on'em these days.

GMichael
03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Not sure if these are better or not, but they are another option. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-642

You could also take a stab at building your own.

These http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-306
And these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=275-076
With these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-142

Would work pretty good together. But they do add up to over $150 once you add in terminal posts, wood, insulation etc.
It would give you something to do while you're in that garage.

RoadRunner6
03-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Here is my choice for under $100. (the Energy's are listed as Demo's) These Athena's have a larger enclosure and might give a little lower extension.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS100

RR6

Jimmy C
03-06-2009, 03:51 PM
...my AV-123 Onix x-ls to ya? If it's like, $25... you can have 'em for $100 total. Box, manual, PERFECT (blond wood finish - forgot what it is). Gotta be less than 50 hours on them.

Also, I have assembled the aforementioned Dayton BR-1s... a bit less refined than the x (we're splitting hairs here), but fatter/less-controlled bass. Could be a good thing in a garage. Or not. Not sure.

I've succumbed to the Insignia craze out of curiousity... I can't agree with DeanM - these have been flat-out bad for me! Not that I ever really used them, just tubby, indistinct... at least they have a soft-dome. These are free if you want to travel to Long Island :*)

I should actually open the Insignias up... if there ever was a canidate for internally crossed wires, these would be it. Just don't understand the hype.

Seriously, the Onix are decent - I have to make some room!

This Guy
03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
just go to a pawn shop or garage sale man. Get some speakers with big 10-15" woofers so you don't start wanting a sub with it. Who doesn't love some bass while you're working in the garage? You're gonna need it too if you're doing loud things in there.

basite
03-07-2009, 06:45 AM
look for a pair of Large advents on ebay...

you'll never ever want tiny bookshelves again for in the garage, definately not when you're spending quite some time there :p

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

E-Stat
03-07-2009, 07:23 AM
...because even though I spend most of my weekends in the garage, it's still just a garage.
Find some used "New England" sound speakers from Acoustic Research, Advent, EPI, KLH, etc. with refoamed woofers. I use a double pair of Advents.

rw

GMichael
03-07-2009, 08:38 AM
...my AV-123 Onix x-ls to ya? If it's like, $25... you can have 'em for $100 total. Box, manual, PERFECT (blond wood finish - forgot what it is). Gotta be less than 50 hours on them.

Also, I have assembled the aforementioned Dayton BR-1s... a bit less refined than the x (we're splitting hairs here), but fatter/less-controlled bass. Could be a good thing in a garage. Or not. Not sure.

I've succumbed to the Insignia craze out of curiousity... I can't agree with DeanM - these have been flat-out bad for me! Not that I ever really used them, just tubby, indistinct... at least they have a soft-dome. These are free if you want to travel to Long Island :*)

I should actually open the Insignias up... if there ever was a canidate for internally crossed wires, these would be it. Just don't understand the hype.

Seriously, the Onix are decent - I have to make some room!

That's an incredable deal. These are some nice speakers. IMO, too good for a garage.

Kevio
03-07-2009, 11:07 AM
just go to a pawn shop or garage sale man. Get some speakers with big 10-15" woofers so you don't start wanting a sub with it. Who doesn't love some bass while you're working in the garage? You're gonna need it too if you're doing loud things in there.Agreed. They must be big. They must be classic (old). I think JBLs would be awesome.

Worf101
03-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Find some used "New England" sound speakers from Acoustic Research, Advent, EPI, KLH, etc. with refoamed woofers. I use a double pair of Advents.

rw
+100

All my speakers are used from various places. You can get great vintage speaks cheap on the Bay or Craigslist if you're lucky.

Da Worfster

topspeed
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Man, I knew I could count on your guys for good suggestions.

Deano; the Insignia's were right at the top of my list and your review had me driving down to BB, and then Jimmy chimed in...

Mike; I considered the Daytons, but with shipping it goes over budget.

RR6; see above

Joey; Can't go big. Where would I put my fridge and workbench? :cool:

Bert & Estat; I thought of your double Advents, Estat. My dad has a pair of AR9's in the living room that I could have but I really don't want something I'm going to have to put on the floor. These are going to be sitting on top of storage cabinets.

Jimmy; check your pm.

basite
03-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Bert & Estat; I thought of your double Advents, Estat. My dad has a pair of AR9's in the living room that I could have but I really don't want something I'm going to have to put on the floor. These are going to be sitting on top of storage cabinets.

go for a single pair of advents? :p and they have the 'smaller advent' too for something... :d

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I want to spend a little as possible (under $100/pr), because even though I spend most of my weekends in the garage, it's still just a garage.
Having issues with the 335i? :frown2:
I was at the Motor Show yesterday. Had a seat in the 335i sedan with some kind of sport package (sport seats etc) , really nice interior and paddle-shift 'box. :)

GMichael
03-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Man, I knew I could count on your guys for good suggestions.

Deano; the Insignia's were right at the top of my list and your review had me driving down to BB, and then Jimmy chimed in...

Mike; I considered the Daytons, but with shipping it goes over budget.

RR6; see above

Joey; Can't go big. Where would I put my fridge and workbench? :cool:

Jimmy; check your pm.

Good choice. I think you'll luv them.

topspeed
03-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Having issues with the 335i? :frown2: Ha. Ha. It is to laugh. No, the 335 is a whole different animal than the M3 because this one, you know, works! I'm not fixing the cars, but I am tinkering with them, polishing them, or playing with the kids in the front yard.

I was at the Motor Show yesterday. Had a seat in the 335i sedan with some kind of sport package (sport seats etc) , really nice interior and paddle-shift 'box. :)
Paddle shifters are a sign of the apocalypse, at least as far as driver talent is considered. Cars are becoming waaaay too automated. They can keep their iDrive, e-brakes, and e-steering. One of my favorite quotes is, "The most important nut in any racecar is the one behind the wheel."

topspeed
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Good choice. I think you'll luv them.
At that price, how could I not?

The generosity of people like Jimmy is what makes AR such a great place. Remember when that one member (whose name escapes me) sent his Spyder calibration system all over North America so we could calibrate our sets for free?

Gives a man hope in the face of all of the negativity in the world.

GMichael
03-11-2009, 10:17 AM

The generosity of people like Jimmy is what makes AR such a great place. Remember when that one member (whose name escapes me) sent his Spyder calibration system all over North America so we could calibrate our sets for free?

That was Ed. We sorely miss his informative posts. He disappeared after a disagreement with Pixy. Can we trade back?
Hope your garage is very nice. Otherwise those speakers will feel out of place.

kexodusc
03-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Guess I'm a few days late, which is too bad cause I actually had some experience with a few suggestions.

I've heard the Insignias. Both stock, and a modded a pair a few years back when it was cool to do it. Glad I didn't keep them - they were ok, for $60 or whatever the guy had in them but they were limited.

The Onix I've only heard once - but I do remember everyone thinking wow, not just another internet company. My quick impression was for $200 I think they're a pretty good deal, but at $100 2nd hand it's hard to go wrong.

I prolly woulda gone for the BR-1's myself (unless they're Gen 2) but differents strokes for different folks. They are a step up on any of the Paradigm Atom/Titan or Axiom M3's I've owned.

My garage speakers right now are the aforementioned Axiom M3Ti's...I never really used them enough to warrant having them, and I just can't bring my Studio 40's into the Garage. I have a buyer lined up but I'm such a terrible pack-rat I just can't let'em go. :(

topspeed
03-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Better late than never, Kex. :)

I actually went and heard the Insignia's and had pretty much the same impression. They were decent. Not a lot of extension on either end, but still quite a bit better than the frankenspeakers I've been using.

Ed is sorely missed. His depth of knowledge was only surpassed by his incredible generosity. Thanks for reminding me, Mike.

audio amateur
03-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Paddle shifters are a sign of the apocalypse, at least as far as driver talent is considered. Cars are becoming waaaay too automated.
You know what? I was thinking a similar thing when I encountered the new Nissan 370Z at the motor show. They were describing how the new manual 'box had a system of downshift rev-matching which basically voids the practice of 'heel and toe' downshifting. I've personaly just discovered the art of heel and toe and I find it to be the most gratifying thing to get right...
How sad.
I hope it doesnt becoming a general thing for manual 'boxes.
Glad the 335i 'actually works' :)

GMichael
03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Frankenspeakers - Speakers made from assorted old drivers from past speakers that have been disassembled or destroyed over the years. Normally placed in a box made of particle board, or in some cases, old shoe boxes. Often held together with several rolls of duck tape.

kexodusc
03-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Better late than never, Kex. :)

I actually went and heard the Insignia's and had pretty much the same impression. They were decent. Not a lot of extension on either end, but still quite a bit better than the frankenspeakers I've been using.

Ed is sorely missed. His depth of knowledge was only surpassed by his incredible generosity. Thanks for reminding me, Mike.

Yeah, did that tool Pix actually scare him off? We should send him an email to invite him back. I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home.

GMichael
03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah, did that tool Pix actually scare him off? We should send him an email to invite him back. I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home.
Scare? Nah... I think he just didn't want to be bothered with someone who blew off his helpfull information as crap and wanted to fight. We all lost that day.

Jimmy C
03-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Of course the original box wasn't in the bedroom attic (where I took all my wife's crap outta the closet to find it), it was in the garage attic (where I just got finished washing/waxing my Astro and put her away... heehee. Get the work van back out, set the ladder up, retrieve said box :*)

I'm 90% sure they'll be on their way tomorrow, 10% sure on Friday, and a slight (like... another 10%?) the next day :*) My wonderful wife is shipping them from her work, we'll get you a tracking number from whatever service is employed. I'll PM ya.

Hell... they even smell good now - I just lemon-Pledged 'em. Boxes (double) are sturdy, thick foam inserts. I wouldn't worry.

Plug these into your main system (if easy enough) w/ a well-recorded CD and see whatcha think - definitely clean and neutral, especially considering price. That's another thing... that soft-dome is a bit more tolerant if the going ain't so good...

Enjoy them, lettuce know what you think...

Oh - at a later date, you can pick up the matching sub if desired...

GMichael
03-12-2009, 05:04 AM
Shhhhh..... Let him set the hook first.

topspeed
03-12-2009, 07:01 AM
AA:
Heel and toe'ing is a lot easier on the track than on the street. There's more throttle control at elevated revs and the clutch take-up is smoother. I mean really, how often do you cruise along at 7-8000 rpm on the street? For that reason, I'd like to try the syncro-rev tranny although, like you, I'll still prefer the gratification of a perfect heel/toe.

Kex:
I've talked to Ed a few times and he was pretty resigned about not going to battle everyday with people who think they know more than they actually know. That was a while back, so if you can convice him to come back, we'll all be the better for it. Good luck!

Mike:
Frankenspeakers in my case were old Sony monitors with mdf cabinets, peeling vinyl wrap, and rotted out foam rolls that I replaced with Daytons (using a suggestion from a member here, of course). I didn't replace the tweeters tho, and now that they bought the farm, I'm just going to throw the whole thing out and start fresh.

Jimmy:
I'm looking forward to plugging them into the main rig. I'll pull the Von Schweikert's out from the bedroom and do a little comparo. :ihih: Now, this is patently unfair considering the VSA's cost 5X as much, but it should be fun anyway.

Don't tempt me with the sub. I've already got more speakers than rooms to put them in! Then again, the boys don't have a system in their room, hmmm...:devil:

kexodusc
03-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Speedy, do you remember what dayton drivers those are? Don't throw them out!!!!

topspeed
03-12-2009, 09:22 AM
My mistake; they were Goldwoods, they were cheap, and they are already in the landfill.
Sorry.

Jimmy C
03-12-2009, 02:57 PM
...the wifey had (actually, still is having) a crapola day at work. I told her Topspeed is livid, she's apologetic :*)

I would love a comparo between Onix and the VR-1s. Never heard a Von Schweikert, but I would imagine they go lower as well as being more refined. Having said that, the x-ls are quite clean top to bottom - sins of omission.

Check out Ali G's "interview" videos on youtube...lol. I'm thinking he's a comedic genius...

Posh Spice is HOT!

Respek... lol.

topspeed
03-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh sure, make me out to be the a**hole! ;) Seriously tho, whenever you can is fine by me. It's not like I don't have a million other ways to get my tunes on. I'll let you know how they compare once I've had a chance to play with them.

Sacha Cohen is seriously funny. I understand he's doing another movie based on one of his characters, but I can't remember which. Can you believe he's married to Isla Fisher? Comedians must be like singers, they can bag any hottie regardless of what they look like.