What's the difference with these hookups? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference with these hookups?

burt
03-17-2004, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure of the difference. When I hookup my speakers to my receiver, I have a choice.Go from audio out of receiver to audio in on T.V. or use the audio outputs of my T.V. and go to my receiver's audio inputs. Which would produce better sound and ease of operation?

thanks,
burt

uncooked
03-17-2004, 07:08 PM
i dont understand.........

are you trying to play the sound from your tv on your receiver and speakers?

if so yes, run audio out on the tv into audio input on your receiver. and go into the tv's settings and turn off the speakers, and set it for audio output or some say "fixed volume"

audio out on receiver to tv? i dont understand this one,

you have to say what your trying to do.

markw
03-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Learn how your TV's remote works. You're gonna need it. We're not in Kansas anymore Toto. It gets easier in time though. There's a learing curve with these nwe fangles touys of ours.

I assume you would want to hook up the speakers to the receiver. That would make the most sense.

Now, what I do is run an IC from the TV's line level outputs to one of the receiver's line level inputs. This allows me to use the receiver to listen to TV audio when programming dictates. Most time it does not. In that case, you can use the TV's internal speakers for day to day listening. You mau need to learn how to use your TV's audio options to perhaps switch audio functions.

On my proton I have to change audio to #3, line level, no volume contol and mute the internal speakers as well. RTFM for more detail on your TV.

Also, I feed a VCR (video, stereo audio) into my TV directly. When playing a tape I do the above steps to send t he stereo sound directly to the receiver as well. So, while the receiver is set to the TV input I use the TV itself to switch from TV to VCR. Again. RTFM on your TV.

That pretty much does it for the basics.

As far as DVD goes, I send the digital stream and S-Video feed directly TO the receiver.
Now from the receiver to the TV I send a S-Video signal to another S-video input on the TV. Also, I send another stereo audio pair from the receiver to the TV. Again, I use the TV to select the proper input for the DVD player and now, if I choose, I can get the DVD sound through the TV's speakers. Again learn to love your TV's remote for setting it's audio functions.

I rarely listen to DVD audio thru the TV. That kinda defeats the whole purpose of this hobby but hey, if the grandkids wanna watch TV, I don't think I could survive Barney in 5.1.

burt
03-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Sorry for the confusion. On my Sony STR-DE695 AV receiver, there is a "monitor" area that has a composite "video out" and a "s-video out". After i hookup my VCR and DVD into the receiver, do I then run lines from that "monitor section" on my receiver to the video inputs of my T.V.?

thanks,
Burt

omikey
03-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Sorry for the confusion. On my Sony STR-DE695 AV receiver, there is a "monitor" area that has a composite "video out" and a "s-video out". After i hookup my VCR and DVD into the receiver, do I then run lines from that "monitor section" on my receiver to the video inputs of my T.V.?

thanks,
Burt
That's right Burt. HOWEVER there are a lot of other things that you should be aware of. Only some of which I'll attempt to enlighten you on, and strongly suggest that you get the in depth details from your AVR and TV owners manuals.

Each device (VCR, DVD) has different ouputs, you run those video outputs to the corresponding video inputs on the AVR.

You run the AUDIO cable output from each of those devices to the corresponding AUDIO inputs on the AVR.

You run the COMPOSITE and S-VIDEO outputs from the AVR to the TV.

Now we're are comming to crunch .......

Some TVs can only handle one input, even though there may be more than one connection (I have several inputs on my TV, however some take priority over others depending on how you connect it up). Depending on the TV if it detects a signal on a certain input, it will never recognize or look at the other input.
You might be able to run composite to source 1 and s-video to source 2, and or ANT 1 and ANT 2 -- depends on your TV.
CHECK your TV Owners manual for how your set works.

Now then - couple all that with this. Depending on your AVR, if you only run Composite to the TV (say cause that's all your tv can handle) then inputs feed into the AVR on the S-Video inputs will never be sent to the TV even though on the AVR you have selected as the source the S-Video input because the AVR does not switch the S-Video input over onto the Composite (or visa versa for that matter).
Read your AVR Owners manual to understand what, if any video switching takes place in the AVR.

And when you think you understand it, read it 2 more times, sometimes you have to let this stuff sink in before you get the picture (no pun intended) :-) well ok, maybe a lil bit

Some AVR (like the Denon 3803 and Yamaha 1400 as examples) will switch ALL video inputs onto the component output so you can handle all of your source selections right at the AVR and only have to run a single component cable from the AVR over to the TV.

IMO this is most desirable as I never have to switch or adjust anything on the TV - set it and forget it :-)

Hope this helps

burt
03-18-2004, 06:26 PM
thanks for that great info Omikey.
What i have done, is run a composite cable from my AVR monitor video out to my #1 vid in on my T.V. Then i ran an s-video cable from the AVR s-video out to my #2 vid in on my T.V.
Now, in order to watch T.V. i have to have the VCR on along with my AVI. Sound comes out of my stereo speakers but not from the T.V. speakers, which is fine for me. I set my AVI to video 1 and i'm all set. DVD looks and sounds great also. I presume that my DVD player is sending video signals via the s-video cable. how can i be sure? I also have an audio coaxial cable running from my DVD coax. out to my AVI DVD in coax.

Does this sound o.k.?

Thanks again for your help.
Burt

markw
03-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Most receivers come with a few pages of illustrated diagrams on how to connect the wires. Believe it or not, they do help. That, and RTFM on all your units.

vivisimonvi
03-19-2004, 03:34 AM
I understand your pain, the manual takes DAYS to learn each and everything the receiver has to offer, especially a Dolby Digital one. I have the same model Sony and don't bother with the video connections on the receiver (it's better to run sources directly to your TV, as you'll get the best video signal)...

But if you have to, remember these notes: The "composite RCA" MONITOR video-out will give you an ouput signal to your TV ONLY from any "composite RCA" video-in signal you connect to the left side of the unit (there's 3 video inputs from DVD, Video 1 and Video 2). The same rule applies above with S-Video, replace the words "composite RCA" with the words "S-Video"

With component video on the other hand, there's only two inputs for component (for DVD, and Video 2), and one will output ONLY a component video signal to your TV (that has a component video input connection of course).

NOTE that these three inputs (Video 1, DVD and Video 2) share the same type of connections for composite, S-Video, and component video for the latter two I've listed. I'd keep each source seperate to avoid confusion.

If you have connections to all 3 video inputs, whatever source you select on your receiver, will output a signal to your TV corresponding to the type you've used (you might be changing between your TV's input signals if you use different types of connections).

.... So anyways, set your front speakers to large, and center for large so you get full range sound, ohhh but wait, you can't use a subwoofer in some cases, but you can in other sound modes... So what, I WANT TO HEAR MY SUB TOO! Why can't I use an equalizer in the NEO sound mode??? Ahh heck, so if I set my speakers at a distance of 4ft(but it's really 3 and a half my receiver doesn't do halves) does it matter? Behind low, behind hi, side low.... ok I'm lost... So if I use a digital connection I can't use a tape recorder, what gives?? WHY SHOULD I USE A COAX CONNECTION INSTEAD OF OPTICAL?!?!?! This manual has NO explanation for this whatsoever!! I especially like the intricate diagrams. This thing should have came with tape measure and a protractor!

omikey
03-19-2004, 05:06 AM
thanks for that great info Omikey.
What i have done, is run a composite cable from my AVR monitor video out to my #1 vid in on my T.V. Then i ran an s-video cable from the AVR s-video out to my #2 vid in on my T.V.
Now, in order to watch T.V. i have to have the VCR on along with my AVI. Sound comes out of my stereo speakers but not from the T.V. speakers, which is fine for me. I set my AVI to video 1 and i'm all set. DVD looks and sounds great also. I presume that my DVD player is sending video signals via the s-video cable. how can i be sure? I also have an audio coaxial cable running from my DVD coax. out to my AVI DVD in coax.

Does this sound o.k.?
Thanks again for your help.
Burt
You're Welcome Burt.

Yes this sounds just fine, that's exactly the way to connect up your audio. I presume you used RCA cables to feed the audio from the VCR over to the AVR (only choice really - if you are running the audio from VCR to the AVR, since I've never seen a VCR with a coaxial output :-)

Now, on your DVD running S-Video ... of course you know it's running on the S-Video if you are playing a DVD and you are seeing it on the TV. The AVR will not switch it from S-Video to Composite.

If you have component outputs on your DVD (I"m sure you do) you can run component output from the DVD to the Component Input to the AVR and then IF YOUR TV SUPPORTS THIS, (AND if you have Monitor Component Output on your AVR) you can then run the monitor component output to the TV. This will give you a much improved picture when watching DVDs.

Again, check your owners manuals for assistance - there's a ton of infromation in those books.

FYI - best picture quality comes in this order:

1) Component Cable
2) S-Video
3) Composite

so whenever you have the option of using Component, do so, otherwise go with S-Video, and when you have to, use Composite (and you will have to)

Also, as some will tell you - you will also get the best pic quality by running your video directly to the TV. IMHO I don't agree with that (depends on so many factors) .... but I run all of mine to the AVR because all of my equipment sits in a closet on the opposite of the room from the TV ..... imagine all those cables being routed to the TV.
And as I said yesterday - when all of the switching is done at the AVR, I don't have to do anything with the TV. Doesn't matter if I choose to watch DVD, VCR, SCAD whatever .... I simply make that choice at the AVR and sit back, eat popcorn and enjoy the movie :-))

Good Luck Burt

burt
03-19-2004, 06:33 AM
Thanks so much for all your help fellas. This is a terrific site....I'm learning an awful lot.

Thanks again,
Burt