Denon AVR 5803/3805 vs. Rotel RSX 1067 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR 5803/3805 vs. Rotel RSX 1067

Jeffrey N
03-17-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm in the market for a new A/V Receiver. I currently have a Yamaha RXV 2095 receiver powering B & W DM 602 Series IIs for mains, centre is B&W LCR 6SII, a David D-Box 302 Subwoofer and cheapie old Missions in the back.

I have always felt that the Yamaha sound, although clear, was never "live" enough, that the sound was too sterile, not enough three dimensionality too it. Also, while the two channel stereo (effect off) mode was more or less OK, the amp did not come with a 5 channel stereo option, which resulted in me having to listen to all five speakers through a DSP mode. Frankly, the DSP modes were always too artificial sounding to me, even the Disco mode, which made valiant efforts to sound like 5 channel stereo, but did not succeed, like a cheap perfume trying to be Chanel.

Anyhow...

I've been salivating over the Denon AVR 5803 for awhile now which seems to be capable of producing the sound that I want. Problem is it costs more than $5,000.00 CDN. I recently discovered the newly released Rotel RSX 1067 Receiver, which really blew me away. It costs about $3,000.00 CDN. Since I could not audition both together (they were being sold by two different dealers), I could not decide which is better.

Any advice. Is the Denon worth the extra money?

And what about the new Denon 3805 which is due to be released here inCanada at the end of March. It has the new YPAO feature and the dealer said I can get it for less than $2,000.00 CDN and it will sound "almost as good" as the 5803.

I love classical music and jazz. I also want good movie reproduction. I also like the idea of having the option of choosing between 2 channel stereo and 5 or 7 channel stereo modes. Moreover, if I'm listening to 5/7 channel stereo, I like the idea of listening to it unaltered (i.e., in a non DSP mode). Is that called Direct mode?

Which unit should I buy and why?

Are there any others that I should consider?

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Jeffrey N, Toronto

Studio B
03-17-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm in the market for a new A/V Receiver. I currently have a Yamaha RXV 2095 receiver powering B & W DM 602 Series IIs for mains, centre is B&W LCR 6SII, a David D-Box 302 Subwoofer and cheapie old Missions in the back.

I have always felt that the Yamaha sound, although clear, was never "live" enough, that the sound was too sterile, not enough three dimensionality too it. Also, while the two channel stereo (effect off) mode was more or less OK, the amp did not come with a 5 channel stereo option, which resulted in me having to listen to all five speakers through a DSP mode. Frankly, the DSP modes were always too artificial sounding to me, even the Disco mode, which made valiant efforts to sound like 5 channel stereo, but did not succeed, like a cheap perfume trying to be Chanel.

Anyhow...

I've been salivating over the Denon AVR 5803 for awhile now which seems to be capable of producing the sound that I want. Problem is it costs more than $5,000.00 CDN. I recently discovered the newly released Rotel RSX 1067 Receiver, which really blew me away. It costs about $3,000.00 CDN. Since I could not audition both together (they were being sold by two different dealers), I could not decide which is better.

Any advice. Is the Denon worth the extra money?

And what about the new Denon 3805 which is due to be released here inCanada at the end of March. It has the new YPAO feature and the dealer said I can get it for less than $2,000.00 CDN and it will sound "almost as good" as the 5803.

I love classical music and jazz. I also want good movie reproduction. I also like the idea of having the option of choosing between 2 channel stereo and 5 or 7 channel stereo modes. Moreover, if I'm listening to 5/7 channel stereo, I like the idea of listening to it unaltered (i.e., in a non DSP mode). Is that called Direct mode?

Which unit should I buy and why?

Are there any others that I should consider?

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Jeffrey N, Toronto

Jeffery you sound like the perfect canidate for the Rotel. The Denon is a great unit with plenty of functions. BUT if the music you listen to is jazz and classical, I like the warmth and smoothness of the Rotel over the Denon. Direct mode will bypass the processors and I think the tone controls. A much better form for purists. Also check out NAD and Arcam. Rotel has a killer warranty too. Some dealers will do let you "borrow" the display unit out of their store as long as you put it on a credit card. Take it home for the night and bring it back the next morning when they open. Good luck!