Denon AVR-1804 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR-1804

gburglax
03-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Hey I just got a quick question. I know the Denon AVR-1804 has A/B speaker inputs but does that necessarily mean I can bi-amp them to my mains? I've got the Paradigm Studio 20's V.2 and have been running them off a Technics SA-DX1040 that does allow me to biamp and, at least for this receiver, it makes a rather large difference. I just wanted to make sure before I went ahead and bought it. Found a good deal online for about 330 bucks and figure I could swing that to finally replace my technics. Thanks for any replies.

markw
03-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Biamping requires two amplifiers per channel. or a total of four for a stereo pair. Although you can run two sets of speakers per channel. each pair is driven from the same amplifier channel.

Look at it like a wall socket. Just because you have two plugs on it that dosen't mean you have two power lines.

Are you talking about biwiring? Big difference here.

If so, then IF the A/B speaker pair are connected in parallel you should be fine. If they are connected in series you will have a problem.

Why not simplify your life and just run both wires off the same terminal? No problems then.

gburglax
03-17-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm not really talking about bi-wiring, I could care less about that. I guess the main question I am asking is if this receiver can bi-amp my mains while still playing in Dolby Surround or DTS like my current receiver can do. And I guess the only other question i have is should i even care? Is the step up in quality going to be enough so it wouldn't matter that much if I didn't bi-amp? Thanks

kexodusc
03-18-2004, 05:25 AM
I wouldn't mess around too much with the bi-amping ideas, especially with those gorgeous Studio 20's you've got. That Denon is a step up from the Technics receiver in my humble opinion, especially on the power supply side, and more worthy of your speakers. I think you'll find the Denon more than adequate. I have Studio 20's as rears in my HT room, they're pretty efficient speakers and sound fine when connected to a decent amplifier, I'm hesitant to believe that bi-amping them will truly yield enough extra benefit to justify the added expense and trouble.

Tarheel_
03-18-2004, 08:36 AM
I'm not really talking about bi-wiring, I could care less about that. I guess the main question I am asking is if this receiver can bi-amp my mains while still playing in Dolby Surround or DTS like my current receiver can do. And I guess the only other question i have is should i even care? Is the step up in quality going to be enough so it wouldn't matter that much if I didn't bi-amp? Thanks

A few years ago, i replaced a Technics receiver (also biampable) with a Denon 2801. You should hear an improvement, not much, but overall sound quality will improve. I mainly replaced the Technics because of the flexibility...inputs,outputs, etc.

another idea is to puchase from a local dealer, bring it home and demo both side-by-side. Also, if there are no Denon dealers nearby, find a authorized dealer online with a flexible return policy. Or, try other receivers like Harman Kardon at Circuit City, where you can definitely return the receiver. Good Luck.

MN Mike
03-18-2004, 09:31 AM
I too recently bought a Denon 1804. I'm using them with Klipsch RB-5ll's in the front. They are a great match. I'd love to hear them with the Studio 20's, I'm sure they'll sound great. I've never tried your bi-amping idea, but if you figure out some inventive way to hook them up and you like it, let me know. I don't think you can bi-amp using the A-B speaker outlets though.