Sunfire Ultimate experiences [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sunfire Ultimate experiences

RushM3
03-17-2004, 02:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone can recount their experiences with Sunfire's Ultimate receiver. I have yet to audition one, but dealers love to talk it up. It's quite a piece of eye candy, but can its sound quality live up to its aesthetic beauty?

I know there are a lot of Bob Carver fans out there (and probably more that don't think so highly of him) so an unbiased perspective might be a little difficult to come by. Don't worry, I'll get around to auditioning it myself, I'm just wondering what others have experienced and if they think they're worth the exorbitant price. I'm also looking for suggestions for alternative receivers. I've already checked out the Rotel 1065 & similar products by Yamaha & Pioneer. I'll probably be driving a 5.1 system with Magnepans, but this is left to be determined.

RushM3
03-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Noone has heard this receiver???

uncooked
03-20-2004, 11:53 AM
ive heard "of it" but ive never listened to one. The stats sound amazing, whats the price like 4 grand? personally i would take a yamaha Z9 over it anyday.

RushM3
03-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I believe MSRP is $4,200. I imagine that most dealers would be willing to let one go for around 3,800 though. As if that makes it sound reasonably priced. The stats were what wowed me and its sleek brushed face nicely rounded off my impression. Assume for a moment, though, that price is not an issue (reasonably; for example there's no difference in price between some $2,000 receiver and a $5,000 one). I was just wondering if anyone found the sound to be a bit too harsh with certain speakers or something along those lines. I've listened to the Maggies a number of times and know they have a tendency to be very revealing, especially in the mid and high-end. Considering I may pick up a pair, think these would these mesh well? Just trying to save myself the adventure of looking for a dealer that carries Maggies & Sunfire.

RushM3
03-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Well, I finally got the opportunity to audition this powerhouse the other day, so I thought I'd take a moment follow up on my own thread for those interested.

I only got to test the Sunfire Ultimate in a home theater application, but what I heard turned me off from listening to it any further. Maybe it was the source (DVD player), maybe the Definitve surround set up they had it paired with, or maybe it was even the accoustics of the room (would seem doubtful in a hi-fi audio store), but the movie clips I heard sounded tinny and empty. The mid-range and high-end just seemed to be too detailed and drawn out with a lack of bass. I even asked the sales assistant if there was a sub hooked up. He assured me it was built into the Definitive mains and even checked the back to make sure the levels were right.

In the Ultimate's defense, this thing is a monster. It had no difficulty driving the Definitives and certainly wouldn't need any assistance driving any reasonable 7.1 system. In addition, the brushed aluminum facade was gorgeous and the recessed dials that lay flush to its face turned smoother than butter. The big blue LCD screen was a bit much considering it only potrayed what source the receiver was picking up.

All in all, the Ulimate left me wanting more. It had all the power in the world, but was lacking in sound quality. If you're looking for a $4,000 hunk of beautiful stainless to set on a mantlepiece, this might be the amplifier for you. But let's not forget, this hunk of metal is more than a centerpiece, it's there to drive a serious hi-fi system and what I heard was not worth its pricetag.

agtpunx40
03-26-2004, 10:08 AM
I remember it getting a pretty bad review on www.audioholics.com

topspeed
03-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Well, I finally got the opportunity to audition this powerhouse the other day, so I thought I'd take a moment follow up on my own thread for those interested.

I only got to test the Sunfire Ultimate in a home theater application, but what I heard turned me off from listening to it any further. Maybe it was the source (DVD player), maybe the Definitve surround set up they had it paired with, or maybe it was even the accoustics of the room (would seem doubtful in a hi-fi audio store), but the movie clips I heard sounded tinny and empty. The mid-range and high-end just seemed to be too detailed and drawn out with a lack of bass. I even asked the sales assistant if there was a sub hooked up. He assured me it was built into the Definitive mains and even checked the back to make sure the levels were right.

In the Ultimate's defense, this thing is a monster. It had no difficulty driving the Definitives and certainly wouldn't need any assistance driving any reasonable 7.1 system. In addition, the brushed aluminum facade was gorgeous and the recessed dials that lay flush to its face turned smoother than butter. The big blue LCD screen was a bit much considering it only potrayed what source the receiver was picking up.

All in all, the Ulimate left me wanting more. It had all the power in the world, but was lacking in sound quality. If you're looking for a $4,000 hunk of beautiful stainless to set on a mantlepiece, this might be the amplifier for you. But let's not forget, this hunk of metal is more than a centerpiece, it's there to drive a serious hi-fi system and what I heard was not worth its pricetag.

It wasn't the room or the dvd player or even the speaks, it was the amp. I didn't want to chime in earlier simply because I like for people to come to their own conclusions but now that you have in fact listened to it, I agree with your observations almost verbatim. I quite frankly couldn't stand the sound of that thing. For the same pile of dough, a good friend of mine just picked up a NIB Conrad/Johnson 5x125 ($2K off ebay) and a Parasound Halo P3 ($2,300 AudioAdvisor demo) that is far more musical than the Sunfire could ever hope to be IMO. The P3 offers upsampling, instant upgrading via download, more balanced inputs than I've ever seen, and comes with a very trick universal remote. The sound of the C/J is, well...C/J. Gloriously smooth and sweet with very good extension and slam. It shamed his previous two Odyssey Stratos' running in mono. I'd take his separates over any receiver, regardless of who makes it.

graphicguy
04-02-2004, 02:18 PM
RUSH....your dealer must not have had the crossovers set up correctly. The Sunfire will drive as low as you want. The sound, while not the same as, probably is similar to that "musical" Marantz sound.

BrandonCM
04-07-2004, 11:07 AM
i audition this reciever ( $4200.00 ) although they do sound good, its no superior than Yam Z1 and Den 4802 side by side here at sountrack (denver). luckily, i found an authorize store that sold me B&K Ref 50 ver 1.04 for $ 1399.00 & 7270 ver II for $ 1799.00 brand new factory sealed. even if sales rep takes out 20% on the $ 4200.00 w/c won't happen + warranty, B&K still cheaper. so i took it. right now i defenitely enjoying it w/ my def 2002 tl, 4 bpx and clr2002.
unfortunately my 70 xbr 950 has some tiny white dots ( maybe dead pixel ) so tech is coming to diagnos it.

graphicguy
04-07-2004, 12:42 PM
B&K is good, too. I've never been a big Denon fan. It seems their gear always has one or two things that irritate me. My current Denon DVD player has some "quirks" that drive me up the wall. I can't deny it's picture quality, though.

I had a Denon receiver, but that was over 6 years ago. I can't even remember the model #. There were always some things that didn't quite work right with it.

I don't own the Sunfure Ultimate, but have heard it. It's impressive in my estimation.

I used to be a big fan of separates for a while but have found the gap in sound/build quality doesn't exist anymore between good separates and good AVRs.

I love the 70" Sony LCD. That's the first I've heard of stuck/dead pixels. Personally, I have the WEGA 60" LCD. Best picture, best TV I've ever seen/owned.

BrandonCM
04-07-2004, 02:27 PM
i took home the denon 2200, sony c555es and samsung hd931 dvi, but after a week of a/b test, denon always comes out the best for the money. try gladiator chap. 15. in that arena scene, sony keeps on jittering specially w/ the backround . the sam hd931 don't but the picture was so dark that i have to turn brightness almost to max unless i would use the component w/c won't make sense on buying this player while den 2200 was solid al the way. even chap. 4 where maximus was about to be excecuted, the skull on th bottom was jittering on the sony ( progressive mode or not ) while on bought den & sam, it was so quick, you won't be bothered by it. layer change was very fast on bought den and sam while sony was the worst. on none progressive mode using xbr DRC cinemotion ( i love this mode ), their all slightly dead even, but i'll give 1 pt. higher on sam. the only problem on sam, no video adjustment but free dvi cable.
anyway if your really eyeing sunfire, try to bargain w/ their price caused its not even thx ultra 2 while Yam z9 is for $ 4500, w/ dcdi built in plus automatic calbration, Den 5803 w/ i link arround $ 4300 w/ is now the trend.
i personally own a Yam 2090 & DDP1 back in 1995, then Den 5800 in 01 and Pio elite 49tx in 02 ( i sold it w/ my b&w 604, ds6 602 cc6 ser 2, w/ our 3 yrs old house when we move here in denver ) but for what ever reason, my Yam ( w/c i gave to a compadre ) still works 100%. it never failed me not even once so got my extended service plan back through store credit. hopefully this will help.