Used speakers, so tempting! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Used speakers, so tempting!

lars128
03-17-2004, 11:54 AM
First off I would like to thank everyone for helping me make the step to high end audio. There are way more products and schools of thought out there than I have ever imagined and this site has really helped me sort things out. On to the question.....

I have been checking out floorstanders in the under $1000 range and have just begun to listen to a few brands, specifically the B&W 603's and Paradigm Studio 60 (v2). I will be visiting my friend in Philly and will demo KEF's, Energys, and Bostons as the selection in Central PA is rather limited. In regards to my previous post, I will most likely stick to floorstanders. Anyway, a pair of PSB Stratus Silvers and Stratus Bronzes are up for sale on audiogon and right now they are going for $600 and $350, respectively. Both are floor models.

First off, will these speakers hands down beat anything I listen to in the under $1000 range? Second, what is the difference between the Silvers and Bronzes, and what difference will I really hear? Finally, how will these speakers perform with my NAD amp/preamp? This seems to be a good offer, and it's hard to pass up $1600 speakers for such a low price. Tempting indeed! I know I will not get a chance to listen to PSB's before I buy, and I really like getting the opportunity to aduition before I purchase. However, I really don't want to kick myself later for passing up such a (potentially) good deal.

magictooth
03-17-2004, 12:38 PM
First off I would like to thank everyone for helping me make the step to high end audio. There are way more products and schools of thought out there than I have ever imagined and this site has really helped me sort things out. On to the question.....

I have been checking out floorstanders in the under $1000 range and have just begun to listen to a few brands, specifically the B&W 603's and Paradigm Studio 60 (v2). I will be visiting my friend in Philly and will demo KEF's, Energys, and Bostons as the selection in Central PA is rather limited. In regards to my previous post, I will most likely stick to floorstanders. Anyway, a pair of PSB Stratus Silvers and Stratus Bronzes are up for sale on audiogon and right now they are going for $600 and $350, respectively. Both are floor models.

First off, will these speakers hands down beat anything I listen to in the under $1000 range? Second, what is the difference between the Silvers and Bronzes, and what difference will I really hear? Finally, how will these speakers perform with my NAD amp/preamp? This seems to be a good offer, and it's hard to pass up $1600 speakers for such a low price. Tempting indeed! I know I will not get a chance to listen to PSB's before I buy, and I really like getting the opportunity to aduition before I purchase. However, I really don't want to kick myself later for passing up such a (potentially) good deal.

Do you know the normal going price for these speakers used on audiogon? You might be able to look it up in the blue book. Many times, things will go on audiogon for less than normal. If that's the case, you can pick these ones up and if the sound doesn't do it for you, just go back and sell them again.

A case in point. I bought a used multi channel amp that new costs $2500, and the normal price on agon is $1100-1300. The price that I got it for was $900 + shipping. I didn't like the way that it meshed (or rather didn't mesh) with my system, so I sold it again and actually made a bit of money. If your speakers are this good a deal, you can perhaps buy and then resell them if they don't suit your tastes.

03-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Used stuff could be good except sometimes if you add the shipping and insurance and maybe even applicable duty and taxes, it may end up costing the same as buying new. Plus, you never know what the condition of the goods is. Could have some catches that the owner is not telling you about.

markw
03-17-2004, 01:48 PM
First off, will these speakers hands down beat anything I listen to in the under $1000 range?

If you like the sound of them above all others youve heard, then yes. If not, then probably no.

Any time you settle on a speaker by price, reputation and other people's opinions without hearing them yourself, you court disaster. No matter how much money you save over retail, if you don't like the sound, you're screwed.

topspeed
03-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Never buy anything without hearing it first. Don't worry about the price or missing the "deal" either. Opportunities are like trains, there's another one coming any minute.

magictooth
03-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Never buy anything without hearing it first. Don't worry about the price or missing the "deal" either. Opportunities are like trains, there's another one coming any minute.

Sorry, got to disagree here. If the deal is an absolutely fabulous deal from a reputable person, then why not? If you decide that you don't like it, you can flip the item for the same price that you bought it for or you might even make a bit of money off of it.

I recently saw this on audiogon: an Audio Aero Prima CD player from Australia was selling for $800 + shipping. Now shipping to US/Can was quoted at about $150US which may have scared some people off. Somebody bought the piece, and when I checked a couple weeks later for some Audio Aero equipment, this CD player was "on sale" for $1300. Even if bought a piece at a steal of a price and decided that you don't like it, you can very likely still sell it later on and perhaps make a bit of money.

agtpunx40
03-17-2004, 03:50 PM
I almost always by used, but I usually do a lot of listening first and when I decide, then start looking on ebay, audiogon, etc. If you do it smart, buy from people with lots of positive feedback and no negatives, and wait for a good deal you can save. There is always a risk, but I've personally never had a problem.

psonic
03-18-2004, 08:52 AM
I just got a pair of Dynaudio Audience 60's for $600 shipped, before that I almost bought a pair of Monitor audio bronze floorstanders thinking what a deal it was but I held off because I never heard this line of speaker. Well I went to the nearest Monitor dealer and fell in love with Totem, not Monitor! I didn't like the Monitor very much and thankfully I did not buy them unheard. Next I auditioned Dynes and bought the 60's from Audiogon.

In your price range for towers be sure to listen to Dynaudio 60 / 62, Totem Staff and Vienna acoustics Bach (@ Tweeter $1050). They can be had on audiogon for $600-$800, or $1000-1200 new. The later two are a very nice wood veneer. I auditioned extensively in the Philly area over the last few months and they were the best I could find for that price. I can tell you they are sweet sounding musical speakers; I started out looking at Energy & KEF too! I am talking about large, involving soundstage with excellent imaging, dynamics and amazing realism. They really made the others sound entry level by comparison. I strongly recommond an audition of all three, they are very moving and refined, sounding much more expensive than they are. I can let you know what dealers if interested... enjoy

Worf101
03-18-2004, 02:37 PM
I buy used all the time. Those speakers i like I keep, those I don't wind up on ebay or someone elses system. Simple as that. No harm no foul. Long as they're not broken or totally misrepresented in the sale... it's no biggie...

Da Worfster