Athena Subwoofers any good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Athena Subwoofers any good?

bullion
03-17-2004, 08:53 AM
I think someone in this forum a while back told me that Athena subwoofers were a great subwoofer for the money. Is this true? I found a good deal on their 8" sub. Here is the product link....let me know what you think

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1051806302541&skuId=5336095&type=product

markw
03-17-2004, 11:42 AM
I love my Athenas (F1s, B2s and a C1). A better buy will be hard to come by. But, dollar for dollar, I think better buys than their 300/400 exist with careful shopping.

Jack
03-17-2004, 01:44 PM
I apologize for detouring from this thread, but I have to know...was your signature quote really uttered by Ms. Carey? I know she's not the brightest bulb, BUT HOLY S**T!! Jack

markw
03-17-2004, 01:53 PM
I think so but I can't swear to it. I got this and several other quites from various famous personalities in an email several years ago. My plan is to rotate these occasionally.

I have heard this quite from other sources besides this email, though. I have heard some doozeys over the years and this wouldn't surprise me.

Woochifer
03-17-2004, 02:18 PM
I think so but I can't swear to it. I got this and several other quites from various famous personalities in an email several years ago. My plan is to rotate these occasionally.

I have heard this quite from other sources besides this email, though. I have heard some doozeys over the years and this wouldn't surprise me.

Actually, I think that quote is a hoax that got circulated around via e-mail a few years ago, though it is pretty funny. Still, considering how poorly she comes across during interviews, it's not outside the rhelm of believability.

markw
03-17-2004, 02:21 PM
In all fairness, if it's a hoax, it's history. Oh well, back to the axioms.

uncooked
03-17-2004, 02:28 PM
i think athena's have great products. i have the p.5 sub that came along with my point 5 set a while back "ive been upgrading it"

the p.5 sounds really good for what it can handle, but it doesnt have enough power. it cant handle big explosions and such.

im going to buy a p400 and put the p.5 in the back of the room

bullion
03-17-2004, 02:49 PM
I think you talked me into the Athen P300. For $100 I don't think I could get anything better. My main speakers are capable of plenty of clean, hard hitting bass as it is so I am hoping this sub will add nicely to my system (Yamaha HTR-5560, JBL ND310 II)

uncooked
03-17-2004, 02:56 PM
its weird everyone that i have seen that has a htr model yamaha has atleast something made by athena.

i have a yamaha 5650 and i have complete 6.1 with athena soon to be 6.2.

its weird, its like people who buy the htr models have the same "type" of ear for music and like the athena's.

markw
03-17-2004, 03:00 PM
I think you talked me into the Athen P300. For $100 ...

BB wouldn't let me access the page 'cause I have my cookies off.

My recommendations were assuming full price for them.

uncooked
03-17-2004, 03:07 PM
yes that is a extremely good deal, what kind of price tag is on the p400?

its just that the p400 you get a 2 inch bigger woofer "going to a 10 inch, for cleaner sound" and 100 more peak watts.

but if its hundreds more then go with the 300 expecially since you said your mains put out alot of bass, but if you can get the p400 for like 50 bucks more or something minimal like that i would suggest you look into that as well. i love both the p300 and p400 i'am going to buy the p400 becuase i have a huge room to fill. i think it will handle the job a bit better then the 300. but there isn't a heck of a lot of difference between the 2. both sound great!

agtpunx40
03-17-2004, 03:42 PM
slickdeals.com says it's sold out now so you almost definatly won't be able to order at that price

bullion
03-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I found the deal via slickdeals. As far as I know, the deal is only on the P300, not the P400. I personally am able to get the deal on the P300 still because I worked there for about 3 years and I know ways around the fact that it is sold out. Any ways, thanks for the info. I'll let you know what I think of it if I decide to buy it.

Mark111867
03-18-2004, 06:19 AM
I bought the AS-P300 last summer and have been very happy with it. I'm using mine in a 2 channel system. It really made a big difference in my system. Good luck.

-Mark

bullion
03-18-2004, 08:54 AM
For those of you who own an Athena subwoofer....what do you like about it the most? Also, can the P300 handle big bass applications like explosions in movies or music in general that has a lot of bass?

uncooked
03-18-2004, 10:03 AM
i think it could becuase like i said i have the p.5, which is the sub under the p300 and it ALMOST can handle it all but not quite, so i would think becuase the p300 is the next sub up it would be able to handle it better.

the p.5 and p300 are almost the same, the p300 is front firing and the p.5 is downfiring, the p300 is just better quality and a tighter woofer that snaps back quicker, mine goes all boomy and out of control. same amplifier though 100 rms and 300 peak.

bullion
03-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Well, I got the sub. I just need to pick out a cable for it now. I was looking at a few different cables (new) from ebay. As of right now it looks like the best cable for the money would be an Acoustic Research (professional cable...not there regular stuff) for around $20 or so. Or I could also get the entry level Monster cable for around the same price. Which do you think would be better?

markw
03-18-2004, 08:31 PM
AR is fine. Ain't nuttin special about a subwoofer cable. It's simply another coaxial cable with RCA plugs on the end. Some may write "subwoofer cable " on ithe package and charge more, but that's about the only diffference. In fact, if you can find a single interconnect in the length you need for a lesser price, I 'd say go for it.

Understand this though. Good, solid construction is the main criteria here. Too cheap a cable may be a bit on the flimsy side but even then, if you're not gonna be pluging and unpluging it repeatedly this may not even be an issue. Some exteremely low end RatShack cables come to mind here.

On the whole, AR is a pretty solid unit for a fair price.

stuartlittle
03-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Don't go crazy on the cable...at most spring for gold ends and moderate shielding.

bullion
03-18-2004, 09:08 PM
These are the cables I am considering (as of right now):

Acoustic Research:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3085434721&category=32809

Monster Cable:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3085030475&category=33205

Which would you go with (I am pretty sure the Acoustic Research Cable could be had for less money and may even be better than the Monster cable since the Monster cable I listed is one of their introductory cables whereas the AR is their high end cable)

bikehikefish
03-19-2004, 11:20 AM
You will not notice an audible difference with either cable, just as you would not notice the difference if you had a Rat Shack cable.

agtpunx40
03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
their cables (dayton I think) are decent. You won't notice any difference as long as it has decent connections and is reasonably shielded.

bullion
03-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Am I going to need a Y-connector to hook up my sub? I don't actually have the sub yet (it is on order). I was looking at the online manual and it seems like I don't need it, but I want to check with you guys first.

uncooked
03-19-2004, 01:06 PM
thats personal preference. most people say just plug it into the left line level input and it will sound great. this is the case for most subs, i have a sub with both left and right, and i had an old Y laying around so i plugged it in and it sounded alot better. its alot deeper, and i dont need to turn up the volume as much in order to play it at the volume i want. without the Y i had it just past half way up. now i have it just past a quarter up.

when you receive the sub just plug the one cable into it and see if it sounds. if it sounds good then there no point. but if for some reason you feel its not working to its full potential its worth a shot. there like 3 or 4 bucks at radio shack.

bullion
03-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Oops....I read the user manual a little more thoroughly and realized that you are not supposed to use both RCA input jacks("Sub In" and "Direct") simultaneously so I don't need a y-adapter after all. By the way, I ended up getting this sub for $100 new from Best Buy. Just couldn't pass it up after reading all the positive feedback from you guys. Thanks for your help.