Sony Wega silver TV's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony Wega silver TV's

Dharris
03-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Has anyone heard of removing the front shell and having it painted black?

uncooked
03-17-2004, 11:12 AM
ive never heard of it done, but im sure you could why not? take it off get some sand paper and lightly rough it up a little bit so new paint will stick better, then get the color you want and use that. it might take a couple of times to get it the way you want it, but its definetely possible.

woodman
03-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Has anyone heard of removing the front shell and having it painted black?

Contrary to what uncooked told you ... NO, you cannot remove the "shell" and re-paint it. It's integrated into the whole in such a way that removing it is not possible. The entire set would have to be dismantled including the CRT which is super heavy and difficult to handle by one person ... no, make that impossible for one person. You'd also run the risk of some damage occurring during all of that process.

The only way to accomplish what you want is to mask off the screen and cabinet back - then you could spray paint it without damaging anything.

What I don't understand is why you want to do this in the first place? If you dislike the appearance of the set that much, why did you choose to buy it to begin with?

uncooked
03-17-2004, 01:40 PM
are then ones different? i had an older-ish one that it was just some small screws that held the out shell on. i guess for quality reasons they did that.

Dharris
03-17-2004, 02:41 PM
What I don't understand is why you want to do this in the first place? If you dislike the appearance of the set that much, why did you choose to buy it to begin with?
I loved the picture / money ratio the silver always bothered me to a point, but picture qaulity was great. Just an idea, not sure if I will go through with it. I just wanted to know if the paint would melt the plastic in any way.

Thanks for the help guys.

uncooked
03-17-2004, 02:46 PM
there is special paint for plastic, that would be your best bet.

or maybe even phone sony and ask them? they might be very helpfull and even send you some factory black paint. you never know, or maybe you could buy it off them.

Smokey
03-17-2004, 10:54 PM
In most direct CRT TVs, the back shell is the only thing that is not connected to anything (may be antenna), and will come off with no problem. Everything else is attached (including CRT and chassis) to front and bottom shell.

May be you could paint the back shell :D