How to connect subwoofer to amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to connect subwoofer to amp?

rover
03-17-2004, 06:47 AM
I have an ancient 25-30 year old integrated amp with a pair of speakers. I bought a low priced subwoofer, but can't figure out how to hook it up.

There is no "subwoofer output" on the amp. The subwoofer has cable connection from amp, connections to speakers, a low level input and mono, and power/volume control.

Any help is appreciated.

markw
03-17-2004, 07:00 AM
There should be speaker level inputs on the back of the subwoofer. Hook the sub up just as you would a speaker.

If the sub has speaker outputs, you could hook up your main speakers to these. In all probablilty it will "filter" the bass from the mains and send it only to the sub. This will probably clean up the sound somewhat.

rover
03-17-2004, 07:35 AM
My main speakers are hooked to amp by "A speakers". I connected "B speakers" to sub connection "from amp". Nothing.

I then connected to sub connection "to speakers". I get sub response when I turn amp to "B" speakers. I get main speaker response when on "A" . But when I turn to "A+B" I hear only sub with faint main speaker sound.

Can I connect both sub and main speakers to "A" speakers on amp without blowing something up?

markw
03-17-2004, 10:51 AM
From what you describe, it sounds like your "A" and "B" outputs are connected in series, which was a decision made by the manufacturer. In this case, you cannot hook the sub up to different terminals from your main speakers.

Connect them both to the "A" terminal as you suggest. Also, you might want to consider the second paragraph of my initial post.

rover
03-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Got it figured out. Connect Amp "A" speaker to sub "from amp" connection. Then connect sub "to speaker" connection to speakers(obviously I disconnected speaker cable from amp first. Amp to Sub to Speakers.