Advent 5002 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advent 5002

kgraves
03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Being that I'm only 23yrs old and just becoming interested in audio gear, I was wondering if any one could give me some info on the Advent 5002 speakers. I'd like to use them in a home theater system. Honestly, I don't know a lot about audio and am becoming more and more fascinated. As I said, I would like to use these speakers in a home theater system and want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I am on a very tight budget for A/V receivers ($200). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bfalls
03-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Welcome kgraves. The Advents are a good speaker. I had a pair of similar Advents in the late 70s early 80's. They're an Acoustic Suspension design, meaning it's a sealed cabinet with no ports. The advantages are a more controlled bass response at the expense of efficiency. The tweeters are notorious for failure. You'll see a lot of "Frankenstein" Advents out there with "patched" tweeters. When you see them you'll know what I mean.

As far as using them in a HT, I think you'll have some problems. First, it will be difficult to find a center and surrounds to match that will produce a consistent soundstage. Another problem is their efficiency. Unless you have a well-powered receiver, you may find these will take o lot of the available power.

On your budget, maybe a little more, look at the Energy line of speakers at Audio Advisor. They have bookshelf speakers for $69 and even a sub for $99. I seen many reviews and these seem to be very respected in their price range.