Can someone explain YPAO to me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain YPAO to me?

kexodusc
03-17-2004, 05:17 AM
Seems the built in parametric optimizers are the next big thing in a/v receivers. Yamaha's YPAO is the most widely available right now, and I'm sure other brands will put forth their best efforts in their affordable receivers shortly as well. I'm not sure I understand EVERYTHING they do. What makes them a desireable feature?
Other than maybe finding the optimal frequency to match a subwoofer to its main speakers, what does YPAO and other parametric optimizers do that the average user couldn't? Speaker output level, delay, etc...Most people probably have a good grasp on these already, or just don't care. Is there someting else? Thanks.

wasch_24
03-17-2004, 06:00 AM
When I used the YPAO setup on my RXV-1400 it didn't seem to do a whole lot more than an experienced user could do manually. Even after running the auto setup I still did some tweaking to the crossover setting and speaker levels. The biggest thing I found is that it justs makes it easier to tweak your system as opposed to starting from scratch. For somone that doesn't understand frequency ranges and the sounds they create it is a great feature, but for most folks it's probably just a wiz-bang feature.
I, personally, wouldn't make it the one feature that sways my decision on my next receiver I buy, but I did like using it.

kexodusc
03-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback Wasch_24 (my favorite # too, by the way).
I've heard in the past that it does more than just calibrating crossovers and setting speaker levels and delays, I just don't know what that might be. Sounds to me then, for somewhat experienced users, parametric calibration tools might be a non-issue when comparing receivers. I've been unsuccessful so far at finding much info on the web about what exactly YPAO and other systems do.

wasch_24
03-17-2004, 06:24 AM
I don't know if youve read this yet but this is the literature for the 1400 that has a blurb about the YPAO, http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RXV1400_lit.pdf
Page 8 contains the description.

You are right though, for an eperienced user it is kind of a non-issue. It did make it easier to do the fine touches though because it provides a good starting point for user changes.

woodman
03-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Seems the built in parametric optimizers are the next big thing in a/v receivers. Yamaha's YPAO is the most widely available right now, and I'm sure other brands will put forth their best efforts in their affordable receivers shortly as well. I'm not sure I understand EVERYTHING they do. What makes them a desireable feature?
Other than maybe finding the optimal frequency to match a subwoofer to its main speakers, what does YPAO and other parametric optimizers do that the average user couldn't? Speaker output level, delay, etc...Most people probably have a good grasp on these already, or just don't care. Is there someting else? Thanks.

Yes Kexo, there IS more to it than that. I must disagree with Wasch_24 when he says that "for an experienced user, it's really a non-issue" ... far from it. If all it did was to set speaker levels and delays, he'd be right. But, and this is the most important factor, it also tailors the frequency response of each speaker to maximize the accuracy of the soundfield, due to room resonances and standing waves, etc. which can seriously degrade the final sound experienced by the listener.

But the bottom line here is that regardless of what other receiver mfgs. do or don't about including such a feature as this, Yamaha still represents the best value(s) in receivers today ... bar none. I base this statement on having worked on this gear for more than 50 years. Today, I wouldn't consider buying ANY other brand for my own use.

wasch_24
03-18-2004, 06:11 AM
When I mentioned the tweaking I did it was just minor changes. The YPAO does make a huge difference in sound quality. Even when you move a couple speakers around by 6" and run it again it makes a difference.

When I said that it doesn't do anything an experienced user can do I was refering to the sttings that it changes. The YPAO doesn't adjust anything that can't be done in the manual setup mode. It simply automates it.

The woodman is right about the value. My receiver has been stellar thus far. I have had it for about three weeks now and I am quite pleased with the perfomance and features for the price.

Woochifer
03-18-2004, 07:07 PM
The thing to keep in mind with YPAO is that it makes equalization adjustments individually for each channel. You CANNOT replicate this functionality unless your receiver has premain couplers on all six channels (which I have never seen before), and this would require at least three outboard parametric equalizers and countless hours of manual adjustments.

This is why almost all mentions of parametric equalizers on this board are in the context of subwoofers, because with a self-powered subwoofer, you simply install the equalizer in the subwoofer output signal path. Room acoustics along with speakers are the biggest variables in an audio system, and a room calibration feature like YPAO directly addresses some of these issues.

Some of the other functions of the YPAO like setting the speaker distance, the size, the phase check, etc. can be easily done. But, the parametric equalization cannot be done independently.

omikey
03-19-2004, 05:25 AM
The thing to keep in mind with YPAO is that it makes equalization adjustments individually for each channel. You CANNOT replicate this functionality unless your receiver has premain couplers on all six channels (which I have never seen before), and this would require at least three outboard parametric equalizers and countless hours of manual adjustments.

This is why almost all mentions of parametric equalizers on this board are in the context of subwoofers, because with a self-powered subwoofer, you simply install the equalizer in the subwoofer output signal path. Room acoustics along with speakers are the biggest variables in an audio system, and a room calibration feature like YPAO directly addresses some of these issues.

Some of the other functions of the YPAO like setting the speaker distance, the size, the phase check, etc. can be easily done. But, the parametric equalization cannot be done independently.
Don't know where or how you got all that knowledge but I'm sure GLAD that you're around and willing to share it with us !!

I'm always looking around for you posts, Thanks !!

bluey2king
03-22-2004, 07:18 AM
I just read your comments on the Yamaha's YPAO system. I have just ordered the RXV-2400, but have not recieved it yet. I am wondering if I should purchess the sound setup CD, ( I forget the name but there are two) with the Radio Shack Sound level meter to setup my system or should I just use the YPAO system?
Thanks for your time!!

kexodusc
03-22-2004, 07:47 AM
I just read your comments on the Yamaha's YPAO system. I have just ordered the RXV-2400, but have not recieved it yet. I am wondering if I should purchess the sound setup CD, ( I forget the name but there are two) with the Radio Shack Sound level meter to setup my system or should I just use the YPAO system?
Thanks for your time!!
Hi,

I've got a bit more experience with this YPAO feature now. In all honesty, I doubt you can do better with the Radio Shack SPL meter and a setup CD, and, there's other paramaters that YPAO sets for you that you could probably never do yourself without some more expensive equipment. I don't think you need to go to Radio Shack.
But here's my suggestion to you. You're already getting YPAO with your RX-V2400, why not give it a shot, if you're still not happy then go get what you need.

That being said, SPL meters are nice to have and aren't a bad investment if you decide to buy one. You can sell it for almost all it's value on ebay too if you decide you don't need it.