Springsteen New CD: A Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Springsteen New CD: A Review

Smokey
03-01-2009, 02:39 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AdhO2IwML._SS400_.jpg

On a loan from a friend , this new CD Working On A Dream is a good effort from the Boss and E Street Band. First thing a listener notice is that the Boss has slightly lost his voice. Gone is low graunting voice that was trademark of his earlier albums.

1. Outlaw Pete. A weak start. C-
2. My Lucky Day. Getting warmer. C+
3. Working On A Dream. Boss and E STB goes on full throttle here. Sound like a party. A-
4. Queen Of The Supermarket. Description of supermarket, in lovely way. B-
5. What Love Can Do. This song is done by the book. C
6. This Life. The best track on the album A+
7. Good Eve. The Boss try to rekindle his roots. A good effort. B
8. Tomorrow Never Knows. A flavor of country music. A-
9. Life Itself. Good guitar work from Steve Van Zant. B+
10. Kingdom Of Days. A feel good song. A
11. Surprise Surprise. An exuberant love song. C
12. The Last Carnival. A tribute to E Street Band keyboardist Danny Federici. B-
13. The bonus track The Wrestler. Soem how, this song seems out of place here. B-

Overall Grade: A solid B

3-LockBox
03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I haven't really ever been into this guy, even though I own three of his albums and have a DVD. He's entertaining, and I like him, but I don't feel the need to like him as much as critics tell me I'm supposed to like him.

02audionoob
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I've always wanted to like Bruce Springsteen, but in reality I guess I don't. Over the years, I bought 4 of his albums on used vinyl but never warmed up to any of them. I find Working on a Dream almost unlistenable.

Finch Platte
03-02-2009, 09:41 AM
...but I don't feel the need to like him as much as critics tell me I'm supposed to like him.

Lol- I felt the exact same way after picking up Derek Trucks' disc last night. All the critics are raving about it & his playing, he has his own studio (ooooooooohhhhh), but to me, the disc just plain isn't very good.

I hated his last one, and don't know why I thought I'd like this one, but w/ Rasputin's lenient return policy, I thought I'd take a chance. Bad move.

And as far as Springsteen goes? Haven't liked him since Born With The Runs. :Yawn:

fp