Cyndi Lauper [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cyndi Lauper

ForeverAutumn
03-01-2009, 07:01 AM
What are your thoughts on Cyndi?

I've never owned a Cyndi Lauper disk but she's an artist who I always enjoy hearing. We've been watching Private Sessions this morning and it's been a two hour retrospective of some of the best moments of their last two seasons. The show is closing with Cyndi Lauper singing True Colors. She's brought the tempo down and it is one of the most heartfelt performances that I've ever seen. I watched the original airing of the whole Cyndi Lauper interview and she's an intelligent, well spoken woman who told some interesting stories.

I'm not sure how seriously people take her as a musician. But I've always enjoyed her and the fact that I've never owned one of her albums is an oversight that I will be correcting very shortly.

02audionoob
03-01-2009, 07:44 AM
I've been a Cyndi fan all along. She came to my hometown in the 80's and I went to the show. It was a good time. In later years, she has mellowed to the point of even doing an album of standards, titled "At Last". She also did a nice concert video a few years ago. My favorite Cyndi tunes are still from the 80's but I really enjoy her take on the standards.

Luvin Da Blues
03-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I keep her She's So Unusual LP in the rotation just for the "Time After Time" track. Although I'm not into 80s pop I do respect her for her talent.

Rich-n-Texas
03-01-2009, 09:56 AM
I have great respect for Cyndi as an artist because she's stayed with it for +20 years, even though I don't listen to her music much. There's something to be said for an artist who believes in what he or she does and puts it out there for the benefit of all who are effected by it in a positive way, IMHO.

Auricauricle
03-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Until I found a copy of Lauper's At Last, I was only aware of Lauper's more pop-oriented oeuvre, which I considered as another one-note fad of the eighties, in one day and out the other. My tastes were a bit more conservative then, which proabably made my previous appraisal of Lauper a bit harsh. Upon listening to Lauper's range and depth on At Last, on the other hand, I kicked myself for being so quick with the dismissive shrug. Lauper is a very gifted singer and songwriter, and anyone who thinks that she's nothing more than a little fluffy thing should give At Last a serious listen.

Swish
03-01-2009, 10:42 AM
...shut.

Oh, you meant what do I think about her music. :) Can't say too much about that either. She can sing, and that's about as far as I'll go with it.

Auricauricle
03-01-2009, 10:55 AM
You want a match with that vitriol, Swishy?

Jim Clark
03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
That lady can croon. Miraculous set of pipes. I'm not a big fan of her music but any complete list of my favorite songs would have "I Drove All Night" on it. The power of her voice is simply astonishing on that track but it doesn't hurt that I just happen to really, really enjoy that particular track. You might not be able to tell from her early work but I believe she has really worked her butt off practicing technique or whatever the heck serious singers work on to get better.

jc

Auricauricle
03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
She really has, Jim. I think the new stuff is more mature and reflective of what she's really capable of. She's a great chanteuse of real range and ability who'll be around--if she plays her cards right--for a very long time.

Rich-n-Texas
03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
She really has, Jim. I think the new stuff is more mature and reflective of what she's really capable of. She's a great chanteuse of real range and ability who'll be around--if she plays her cards right--for a very long time.
Read... keeps her politics out of her music, as Gramps so eloquently eluded to, eh?

Swish
03-01-2009, 01:33 PM
You want a match with that vitriol, Swishy?

I don't really care what a musician's/actor's/entertainer's political or religious leanings are, so long as they keep it to themselves when performing or in public appearances. There are so many who I simply won't patronize ever again because of their actions, and I mean it. I don't seek medical advice from these people, so why in the heck would I seek their political advice?

I was driving back from Staple's today (well after I posted my comment about Cyndi) and had Sirius XMU on the radio and they were playing a song by Beck. I was thinking to myself about how this guy, who is a Scientologist, never talks about his religion when he performs or in interviews, at least not that I've seen or heard, and wished that others would do the same. The song finished and the d.j. commented that he couldn't understand how someone who is obviously so intelligent could be a member of Scientology, but he was glad that he didn't talk about it. How's that for coincidence? I didn't feel the comment about his intelligence was contrary to involvement in Scientology was appropriate and that the station should probably smack him upside the head.

Auricauricle
03-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Glad to get yer thought on this on board, Swish....I was yankin' on your chain a little (excuse me), but I think I agree: some folks should just keep their political and religious preferences to themselves. To this day, I am wary of Tom Cruise, after he made some overly facile remarks about psychiatry and Scientology that rubbed me the wrong way.* I don't know what Lauper's agenda, nor do I care. I'm (like you and I expect everyone else here), just here for the music....

*But you know, he did make me think a moment, so I s'pose thtat's not an altogether bad thing, is it?

Rich: Who you callin' "Gramps"?!

Mr Peabody
03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I like Cyndi a lot, all of the stuff I've heard so far. I even have the band Blue Angel on vinyl which is a band she was with before becoming so famous. She's So Unusual is good from beginning to end. It wasn't until either last 4th of July or the one before that I finally saw her in concert. I started a Cyndi thread after that concert. I didn't even know she was still in the biz. The concert was one of the best I've ever been to, she is a great entertainer, very good crowd interaction. She was all about the show that night, no political comments. I didn't even know she was into politics. She came out and her hair was purple. After one or two songs she pulls off a wig and she still has the orange hair, the crowd went wild and she broke into one of her hits. She talked and played with the audience like every one was just hanging out, it was cool. One of our local gals sang earlier in the day and Cyndi invited her up on stage toward the end of the show and did a song together. I got the impression Cyndi is probably one of the most down to earth artists around.

Speaking of doing standards, you should hear Sinat O'Connor's album, it's very good, believe it or not.

Auricauricle
03-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Like I said: I'm a late bloomer....

02audionoob
03-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Speaking of doing standards, you should hear Sinat O'Connor's album, it's very good, believe it or not.
I'd be interested, but I can't find it. Do you know the name of it? She contributed a song to a Cole Porter tribute album, which I have. Can't find anything else of that nature, though.

Edit: Found it. Am I Not Your Girl?

Mr Peabody
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd be interested, but I can't find it. Do you know the name of it? She contributed a song to a Cole Porter tribute album, which I have. Can't find anything else of that nature, though.

Edit: Found it. Am I Not Your Girl?

* That's the one. I had to go pull it to be sure. Boy, I misspelled her first name, didn't I.

3-LockBox
03-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Great set of pipes. I remember seeing an interview with Cher, talking about her show and tour, in which Cyndi Lauper was the warm-up act, and Cher said she thought it was her best show yet, and said something to the effect that, "it'd better be great if I'm following Cyndi Lauper; I can't believe she's opening for me?"

Lauper is a huge vocal talent but I think she put her out there way too much with that WWF crap she was involved with back in the '80s - it kinda blew her credibility. But I do own a goodest hits CD and have caught some of her new act on YouTube. Can't stand to hear the sound of her voice though.

Auricauricle
03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Don't you think the voice is part of her schtick?

3-LockBox
03-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Don't you think the voice is part of her schtick?

Maybe, but what difference would that make...she's trying to be annoying, so its less annoying (because its on purpose) than it would if it were the normal way she talks?

I like to hear Cyndi Lauper sing, even though the way she talks annoys me, just like I like looking at Rachel Ray, even though the way she talks annoys me. I compartmentalize a lot.

GMichael
03-02-2009, 07:30 AM
I like Cyndi's music as well. (but I'd deny saying that in a court of law)
Back in the 80's, when she was most popular, my friends and I were all into heavy metal or progressive rock. To admit to liking someone with her cute little girl's voice would have been akin to admitting that I liked getting pedicures. Just slice off my manhood.

C-Z
03-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I have a concert DVD of hers that is fun. Great stories, very good show. How can you not like True Colors and Time after Time?

CZ

MasterCylinder
03-09-2009, 05:29 AM
I keep her She's So Unusual LP in the rotation just for the "Time After Time" track.

Do you (or anyone else on this board) know, or have an opinion, regarding exactly what this song may be about...........what are the lyrics telling me here ?

Swish
03-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Do you (or anyone else on this board) know, or have an opinion, regarding exactly what this song may be about...........what are the lyrics telling me here ?

...Lauper co-wrote "Time After Time" with Philadelphia rocker Rob Hyman of The Hooters, who also supplied backup vocals to the song. In a 2006 interview with Sound Off with Matt Pinfield (episode 212) on HDNet, Lauper related how the song was written. She indicated much of the lyrics were written about occurrences in the studio and her life at the time. The line "the second hand unwinds" referred to producer Rick Chertoff's watch which was winding backwards.

Hyman explained in an interview with Songfacts that he and Lauper stayed in the studio after the sessions composing the song.

Swishdaddy

Auricauricle
03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
The song Time After Time is about Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity. Although Lauper doesn't flaunt it, she is a Nobel holder in physics and is a scientist-in-residence at CERN and is a consultant for the Hadron Collider.

"Flashbacks" refers to time-space compression and "suitcases" is a metaphor for photons, in the song. "The second hand unwinds" is a depiction of the time-space compression when objects move near or at light-speed, and is a reference to Einstein's thought experiments which used the clock tower in Bern Switzerland, where he wrote and published his famous papers in Analphysik....

BUT seriously...

GMichael
03-09-2009, 01:57 PM
The song Time After Time is about Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity. Although Lauper doesn't flaunt it, she is a Nobel holder in physics and is a scientist-in-residence at CERN and is a consultant for the Hadron Collider.

"Flashbacks" refers to time-space compression and "suitcases" is a metaphor for photons, in the song. "The second hand unwinds" is a depiction of the time-space compression when objects move near or at light-speed, and is a reference to Einstein's thought experiments which used the clock tower in Bern Switzerland, where he wrote and published his famous papers in Analphysik....

BUT seriously...

:skep:
:skep:
:shocked:
:shocked:
:sosp:
:sosp:

Auricauricle
03-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Thank you for that totem of yer appreciation, friend!

Jimmy B
03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Swish made the mention of Rob Hyman and the hooters. Another early 80's guy Robert Hazard penned "girls just wanna have fun"
Another side note, Steve Forbert is in the video for the above song.
Jimmy B

Mr Peabody
03-10-2009, 07:55 PM
AA, you did such a good job explaining Time After Time, wanna take a shot at She Bop?

Auricauricle
03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Um, the expuragated or unexpurgated version?

Mr Peabody
03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Your choice, while I reach for the dictionary. Are you Dennis Miller just killing time until you get a job? :)

02audionoob
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM

BUT seriously...

Or maybe Cyndi got held back, dropped out and eventually got a GED.:thumbsup:

Auricauricle
03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
None of the above, Mr. P....I just gotta line that I realise that I better not cross if I am allowed to keep hangin' wit you guys....

(Meet me behind the oak tree next to the school bell after school....Bring five dollars, I might talk about it, then....An' the peanut butter and jelly sandwich....