Connection Dilemma [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connection Dilemma

Jack in Wilmington
02-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Ok guys, I got a Blu-ray player and it works great. But now I miss my SACD's and DVD-Audio music. Could I hook up in addition to my Blu-ray, my old DVD player. I have the Blu-ray hooked up with an HDMI cable and I select DVD on my Onkyo receiver when I'm going to use it. If I hooked up the old DVD player just to the 5.1 multi out jacks, and select Multi Channel on the Onkyo, will this work? Or am I overlooking something that could be a problem? Thanks

Mr Peabody
02-28-2009, 05:27 PM
That should work fine. If your receiver is typical the name really don't matter, you assign the inputs to the input selected. For instance, you could select "CD" on your remote, then go into the receiver's menu and assign, or select, the multichannel input for when "CD" is pushed on the remote or receiver.

Jack in Wilmington
02-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks Mr. P
I was hoping it would work that way. I might even hook up the old DVD player with the component video cables so I can get the pictures on my TV.

Kevio
03-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Instead of the multichannel analog connections, I would consider making the connection from DVD to receiver with coax SPDIF or optical TOSLink digital connections. Its less wiring and it may sound better and give you more flexibility to allow the receiver to do the audio decode and digital to analog conversion.

The setup menus in the receiver should allow you to assign the SPDIF and TOSLink inputs to specific source (e.g. CD, DVD, satellite...)

Mr Peabody
03-01-2009, 12:29 PM
K, you can't do SACD via optical or coax and doubtful the receiver would decode DSD.

Kevio
03-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Oops. You are so right.