Thread/Forums Idea - Gear Gathering [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thread/Forums Idea - Gear Gathering

atomicAdam
02-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Idea for new Forum/Lasting Thread
One of the things I've been reading a lot, but have seen very little of on AudioReview.com, is people have listening parties. I think you know what I mean. Someone has a house, with some gear, other people have gear, people decide on a date and location, everyone bring some speakers or amps or what have you. Everyone listen, do that crazy social face to face intermingling and then go home having listened to more stuff and learned a little.

How does a dedicated forum or long last thread for something like that sound?

There are a lot of things I'd like to hear, and I am not too found on retail shops because I hate sales pressure. Meeting up with folks and sharing gear on the other hand sounds much better.

Or even doing something like they do on ridemonkey.com or fazed.net. We come up with a date, a location, rent a venue, everyone brings some gear, and just spend a day or two listening to stuff we haven't had the chance to listen to before.

Yada yada I know this has been done before, but there doesn't seem to be any going on now. Unless I've missed something.

Thoughts?

Here - I'll be the first. I live in the Oakland, near the lake, anyone that wants to compare amps/pre-amps and bookshelf speakers of the mid-fi level lets get together some night.

nightflier
02-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Atomic, what if you're the only one who lives near Oakland?

Auricauricle
02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Sure, lemme load up the Lear Jet and I'll be right over.....

atomicAdam
02-26-2009, 05:05 PM
well - the bay area - who knows - you never know unless you put the idea out there.

i realize the chances of anything coming to fruition are slim, but you've got to ask to know.

JohnMichael
02-26-2009, 07:13 PM
I think that is a great idea. I have had the pleasure of meeting one member but we did not compare equipment. Huh now that I read that back but seriously I would like to have other ears listen to my set-up. I often wonder if my system is sounding good or I am so used to the sound that I do not realize that there are glaring faults. May be fun to have several local AR audio societies that can get together and report what they find. I am in central Ohio and would enjoy meeting other local members.

mlsstl
02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Over at Audiocircle they have several regional sections in their forums. There is one for the St. Louis area that I follow and they periodically get together for the type of listening sessions you describe. I haven't been able to match up due to schedule mismatches but would hope to someday.

However, one piece of advice is I think you'd want the comfort of a bit of time in terms of the online relationship under your belt before you have people showing up on your doorstep.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of your idea.

atomicAdam
02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
However, one piece of advice is I think you'd want the comfort of a bit of time in terms of the online relationship under your belt before you have people showing up on your doorstep.

That is very true. That is why if there were enough of us in a region finding/renting a venue for a weekend/or day, would be a good 1st step.

Thanks for the other info though. I'll check it out.

-adam

kexodusc
02-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Just put me on speakerphone...

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2009, 07:28 AM
I have an idea...

How 'bout a NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION FORUM!!!

Don't you think that would be a good place to start? :idea:

Auricauricle
02-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Actually, I think this is not a bad idea....How do y'all feel about making official introductions? I realise that we have divulged quite a bit about ourselves over the hundreds of posts, but it's a pretty scattershot deal...."Thank you, Audiophiles Anonymous. My name is Spencer, and I am a three-CD-a-day music listener. It's been a year since I bought any new equipment and a week since I've listened to a CD...."

dean_martin
02-27-2009, 10:26 AM
maybe expand a little to include posts from our members who host listening sessions for friends/family in their respective areas, cities, neighborhoods, etc. who are not members. could be a good way to recruit new folks to the board.

e.g., I'm a member at straightbourbon.com. I'm hosting a whiskey tasting with friends who probably no nothing about the website, but there is a separate forum for posting info from such gatherings.