Best 40 to 50" TV budjet $3500.00 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best 40 to 50" TV budjet $3500.00

rayh78
03-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Looks like I could spend months learning and try to figure this out. So bottom line what would you pick for yourself. Watch 75% regular TV. Rest of family would really like one of the newer thinner sets instead of a regular TV. But reading this forum there seems to be so much to consider.Did see a Hitachi 50" at Sears for about $3400.00 that is suppose to be the LCD type.
Not to be lazy but would save me a lot of research if I had a idea what you guys would get to help narrow my search.
Thanks for any suggestions

Widowmaker
03-17-2004, 06:47 AM
Looks like I could spend months learning and try to figure this out. So bottom line what would you pick for yourself. Watch 75% regular TV. Rest of family would really like one of the newer thinner sets instead of a regular TV. But reading this forum there seems to be so much to consider.Did see a Hitachi 50" at Sears for about $3400.00 that is suppose to be the LCD type.
Not to be lazy but would save me a lot of research if I had a idea what you guys would get to help narrow my search.

A friend of mine has Samsung's 50" DLP monitor. It is great, the picture is amazing, even if you sit off center from the screen and it has no burn-in issues. It only weighs about 90 lbs. and is pretty thin (about 18"). It just got marked down to $3500 as well.

There are two drawbacks, though. It uses a light bulb which has to be replaced occasionally but it only cost roughly $200 and you can do it yourself. Also, since DLP uses light reflected off of a six-segment color wheel, you might sometimes see what is called the "rainbow effect," when an image moves from light to dark, you might see a streak of red/green/blue from time to time.

wasch_24
03-17-2004, 06:58 AM
If you are open to Rear Projection, you can get a 2003 Mitsubishi Diamond series for $3299. HDTV tuner built in and they do a real good job on fitting a 4:3 picture to the 16:9 screen. Add an anntenna and you will have free HD.

shaizi
03-26-2004, 03:47 PM

The ideal solution is to buy Front Projector DLP. You will measure screen size in Feet not in inches and the projectors weigh only 6-9 pounds. With high definition capability built in.
Imagine watching TV, Movies,video games etc with image as small as 36" or as big as 200" without sacrificing picture quality. For more information send me an email at"fullcontact@shaw.ca". Best regards.

AVMASTER
03-27-2004, 02:17 PM
The ideal solution is to buy Front Projector DLP. You will measure screen size in Feet not in inches and the projectors weigh only 6-9 pounds. With high definition capability built in.
Imagine watching TV, Movies,video games etc with image as small as 36" or as big as 200" without sacrificing picture quality. For more information send me an email at"fullcontact@shaw.ca". Best regards.

front projection is not for everyone, NTSC signals, or any room and to do it correctly he's going to spend more than $3500. His first choice( with the proper viewing distance) in projected LCD would be a better solution for what he wants to watch. I purchased the 50" Hitachi for the very same reasons---very good conversion of SD signals

AZHT
03-27-2004, 04:03 PM
The Samsung DLP is a nice set. Saw it on sale at Best Buy today. Check you area stores to go see it's picture. The rear LCD is nice too. Both it and the DLP's will give wide viewing angles, low weight, fit on a stand, shallow depth and great pictures. The DLP will have better contrast while the LCD will be a brighter picture. Check out the pic on both and decide what you like best. If you want to save some coin and don't mind the extra size, a rear projection will save you at least $1000. But you get glare, low viewing angle, and possbile burn in too.