Bose 901 Idea Need Info About Eq!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bose 901 Idea Need Info About Eq!!!!

kainbrake2
02-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I just posted a new threat about (7.1 channel receiver or processor?). im planning to try some thing if i can get my hands on enough bose speakers. now i know some of you guys will knock bose but i like them. the output you get from the size is great.

Now here is my idea, what if a man built a stand that mount four 901 cabinets in a curved line array, and use one array for left and one for right. Now about the eq my first question is could a guy thats good with a graphic eq pull it off without the bose eq?

Next question. i know that bose says its ok to use 2 sets with one eq. If a guy had eight 901's ( 4 on each side) could he use series parallel wiring and use one eq?

RoadRunner6
02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
I owned the original Bose 901's (the Series one) back in 1971. I sold them about two years later after I learned why they were more clever hyped design than practical and also why they required tons of power to drive the bass to realistic levels (the later 901 series are more sensitive/efficent). They definitely are not a good idea for a surround system and I would consider them only for a stereo setup with a big amp. A powered subwoofer crossed over at 80 Hz would do a great deal to relieve the lower bass power strain on the amps and give much improved bass but would create a rather complicated hookup situation.

Someone recently wanted to use them in a surround system with a Bose center and two Bose surrounds and a current AVR receiver. That would have required him to have a separate 2 channel power amp connected to the Bose EQ to power the front two 901's with the center and surrounds powered by the receiver (just in case you have that in mind).

That all said and if you do buy 901's, one suggestion I have is to turn them around so that the rear (8 drivers) is facing forward and the front (one driver) is facing to the rear. You will get much better imaging and not the unrealistically wide sound stage that the 901 projects off the wall. Please realize that they will soon need new drivers and/or surrounds if they haven't been replaced already.

The Bose EQ is specifically made to match the natural fall off in response of the single sized drivers in the 901. The potential bass boost from the EQ for the lowest frequencies is huge and thus the requirement for a very large amp. In my opinion, you would not be able to duplicate Bose EQ's. Yes you could IMO split the signal from the EQ with two or more sets of 901 by simply using RCA splitters.

Sorry, but I think your idea of 4 sets of 901's is rather bizarre if I understand correctly that you would have four 901's for the left channel and four 901's for the right channel in a horizontal array? All you would accomplish is spreading the sound across the entire front of the room and have virtually no sense of accurate imaging. You would not be able to accomplish this with a normal receiver but would need 8 channels of amplification such as four of these http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm. If your intention is to get maximum volume then go for a very efficient design like a large Klipsch model. With one set of 901's installed the way they were intended (that is in front of a bare wall with no furniture, drapes, etc. to interfer wth the reflected sound of the rear 8 drivers) they tend to make a soloist sound 8 feet wide. They sound better with orchestral music. Four 901's on each side would be like having speakers that were 6 or more feet wide (hope you have a big room).

I know this is not what you want to hear but is my honest opinion. I'm trying to be realistic here while not wanting to pop your dream. It is fun to tinker, but if you want loud, big, impressive sound then there are much better and cheaper ways to go. I'm going to have nightmares tonight just dreaming about how to set up your eight 901's! :biggrin5:

RR6

Invader3k
02-26-2009, 06:10 AM
I don't see what it would accomplish. If you are going to be buying the 901s new, there are much better values for that amount of money. You could put together a pretty good whole system for the cost of four 901s. The 901s are pretty much designed strictly for a stereo setup, not HT.

This Guy
02-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Like everyone said, it would be way more cost effective to just get more efficient speakers if you're going for pure output. And you say the output you get for the size is great, but if you're talking about putting four to a side, the size isn't very small anymore. I think you'd be more impressed and keep more money in your pockets if you get a nice pair of PA speakers or something from Klipsch, although their newer stuff isn't that efficient anymore. You'll be better off if you just throw this idea out the window.

kainbrake2
02-26-2009, 10:58 AM
yea it was just a thought and thats why i asked. everyone speakes of klipsch the only thing ive ever heard from them is the k77 tweeter and it was very good. now i like the look and the review on the la scala but im more of a diy type so i would rather just build something. im thinking of 7.1 and building 6 2x10'' towers that match. and i never thought about the direct reflecting stuff clashing with imaging.

JoeE SP9
02-28-2009, 02:34 PM
I just posted a new threat about (7.1 channel receiver or processor?). im planning to try some thing if i can get my hands on enough bose speakers. now i know some of you guys will knock bose but i like them. the output you get from the size is great.

Now here is my idea, what if a man built a stand that mount four 901 cabinets in a curved line array, and use one array for left and one for right. Now about the eq my first question is could a guy thats good with a graphic eq pull it off without the bose eq?

Next question. i know that bose says its ok to use 2 sets with one eq. If a guy had eight 901's ( 4 on each side) could he use series parallel wiring and use one eq?

Have you thought about going somewhere and actually listening to some decent speakers? Most reasonable audio emporiums will be glad to demonstrate their products. Please remember one very important point, loud and good are not the same thing.

JoeE SP9
02-28-2009, 02:53 PM
yea it was just a thought and thats why i asked. everyone speakes of klipsch the only thing ive ever heard from them is the k77 tweeter and it was very good. now i like the look and the review on the la scala but im more of a diy type so i would rather just build something. im thinking of 7.1 and building 6 2x10'' towers that match. and i never thought about the direct reflecting stuff clashing with imaging.
How do you listen to nothing but a tweeter? Even more how can you determine anything by listening to just a tweeter? If you are the DIY type, Parts Express has all kinds of DIY speaker projects.

http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm?CFID=6366640&CFTOKEN=85499613

I would also suggest some books on loudspeaker design such as

THE LOUDSPEAKER DESIGN COOKBOOK (http://forums.audioreview.com/loudspkr_design_cookbook.htm)
by Vance Dickason

<table id="table9" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="700"></table>DESIGNING, BUILDING AND TESTING YOUR OWN SPEAKER SYSTEM (http://forums.audioreview.com/design_test_build_spkr_sys.htm)
by David B. Weems

Loudspeakers: The Why and How of Good Reproduction (http://forums.audioreview.com/loudspkrs_good_repro.htm)
by G. A. Briggs

I'm not trying to be condescending, but there is a lot more to speaker design than throwing a couple of ten inch woofers in a box adding a mid range and tweeter and calling it done.

RoadRunner6
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I would also suggest some books on loudspeaker design such as

THE LOUDSPEAKER DESIGN COOKBOOK
by Vance Dickason

Speaking of Mr. Dickason:

He helped Emotiva design their new series of speakers which are a real steal for the price:

http://www.emotiva.com/

RR6

basite
03-02-2009, 08:22 AM
if you're going for a stack (or line array) of 901's, you're saying hi to phase shifts (disortions), and lots of it. And I believe this already was a problem with a single 901...

seriously, if you want to do stacking and line array stuff, and you want it to be cost effective, go DIY.
Partsexpress is already mentioned. They have lots of parts, and some other people's work is also featured on their site. click the link here (http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/projectindex.cfm).

also some line array projects there...

Good luck, and especially, have fun!

Keep them spinning,
Bert.