OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player "EAP" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player "EAP"

BadAssJazz
02-25-2009, 09:38 AM
EAP as in Early Adoption Program‏. The introductory price is $499 and it looks like they're also working on integrating DVD-Audio. Look for the full specs to hit their website on March 3rd.

The email from OppoDigital:

We would like to thank you for the tremendous feedback that we have received from the community in response to our first BDP-83 Blu-ray player notification update. There were many great comments, suggestions and concerns which we will try to address in the release of the BDP-83. In particular, we would like to address the Early Adoption Program.

We have decided to take a democratic, by-the-people approach to the implementation of the Early Adoption Program. For the initial batch we will randomly choose 50 customers to participate in the Early Adoption Program. These 50 customers will have the opportunity to purchase the BDP-83 for $499 before the official release. After using the player for about a week, they will be required to vote on whether the program should be expanded or suspended based on end-user experiences. If a supermajority (at least 70%) votes in favor of expanding the program, we will expand the Early Adoption Program by another 100 randomly chosen customers. The player will be shipped with a pre-production firmware version. Firmware updates will be available from time to time.

The initial 50 Early Adoption Customers will be chosen no later than February 25th using the random number generator at random.org. After being contacted by us, the customer must place the order no later than 3pm February 27th Pacific Time; otherwise the opportunity to participate will be passed on to another customer. A simple "Yes" or "No" vote on whether to expand the program needs to be cast no later than March 15th.

Terms and conditions for the Early Adoption Program, as well as the current program status, can be found at our web site:
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/EAP.aspx

We would also like to take this time to update you on the status of BDP-83 developments. The last two months have been very fruitful, as the player now supports BD-Live (Profile 2.0) and can internally decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats. DVD-Audio has yet to be implemented through firmware, but we are working diligently on this feature. A preliminary features and specifications list will be available on our web site on Tuesday March 3rd.

Opt-Out:

If you are still interested in receiving communications about the BDP-83 and participating in the Early Adoption Program, no further action is necessary. Otherwise, please click on the SafeUnsubscribe link below to decline participation and to opt out of any further e-mail communications regarding the BDP-83.

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
2629 Terminal Blvd., Suite B
Mountain View CA 94043 USA

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Gotta love that Built with pride in the USA business model ya know? I equate Oppo with Emotiva where customer care and satisfaction are concerned.

(Disclaimer: This message in no way endorses the Auto manufacturer business model)

blackraven
02-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Way cool. I want one!

nightflier
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
I wish Outlaw would have such an EAP program!

pixelthis
02-25-2009, 10:47 PM
I wish Outlaw would have such an EAP program!

Yeah, what a great program, get a few suckers to pay for your vetting of a new design.
Great marketing dept these guys have, hope their R&D is just as good.:1:

RoadRunner6
02-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks BAJ for the info on the new BDP-83. I decided to pass on the Panny 35 and wait for the Oppo. I wonder if the price will definitely go up after this initial EAP release?

RR6 :thumbsup:

Mr Peabody
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Interesting approach, I wonder why such a small controlled group. They really aren't giving them enough time to run across bugs. Two weeks would be enough to get some user feedback though. I wonder what Oppo would do if more people voted "NO" don't roll out any more. I mean, they can't redesign the unit. I assume this will play SACD?

Is Oppo a U.S. company? Considering the price of their DVD player I'm a bit surprised this unit will cost $499.00. I guess the addition of Blu-ray and internet connectivity adds some cost.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, award-winning OPPO Digital, Inc., manufactures and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguish it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.
I didn't read anything on their website indicating that the players are made in China, but I really don't feel the need to persue the investigation any further.

My guess Mr. P is that they're going to price it in the $500 ballpark because they're building Blu-ray capability into an already oustanding universal player.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Yeah, what a great program, get a few suckers to pay for your vetting of a new design.
Great marketing dept these guys have, hope their R&D is just as good.:1:
So I guess you've never bought an ATI video card have you dumbass? Or any other modern piece of equipment that implements s/w or firmware updates. Oh that's right, you own dinosaurs don't you? :rolleyes:

Mr Peabody
02-26-2009, 06:03 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, I guess that didn't register when reading past my bed time.

f0rge
02-26-2009, 07:43 AM
So I guess you've never bought an ATI video card have you dumbass? Or any other modern piece of equipment that implements s/w or firmware updates. Oh that's right, you own dinosaurs don't you? :rolleyes:

this made me laugh...dinosaurs lol...

BadAssJazz
02-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Is Oppo a U.S. company?

Yes, based here in Northern CA. Of course that doesn't mean that they haven't outsourced some part of the manufacturing. Part of the company's appeal is that I'm about a 15-20 minute drive from their HQ, so if I ever needed assistance, repairs or updates, I didn't have to go far or bother with shipping.

Still...I'm on the fence about the EAP. While I certainly trust OppoDigital's quality and customer service, I typically wait until after most of the bugs are worked out before I take the leap.

Plus, rumors are swirling here at the firm that layoffs may be a week or two away. I'll have to see how that shakes out before I make any new purchases, let alone upgrade my existing player. The Panny works just fine.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more apt I am to continue setting aside the ducats for the Rotel RSP-1570 or RSX-1550/1560 that I have my eyes on. The Oppo BD will have to wait until later in the year, if not next year.

nightflier
02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
That brings up a good point. Why does adding BR to the player jack up the price so much? I'm not so much questioning it as just wondering. IMO, they need to keep the price low enough to not exceed a decent upconverting SACD-playing player + a decent BR player. Anything over $500 is going to backfire, even if it comes conveniently in one box.

Mr Peabody
02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
On the other hand you see where other "universal" players are priced that include BR, it makes $500.00 look like a good deal. If the video is exceptional then $500.00 is a good deal for sure. I just dropped that much on just a BR player. Some may not feel that was a wise move but they have to see the video from the 7003 before passing judgment.

Now one could get a $180.00 Samsung 1500 and the Oppo DVD player and be under $400.00 but I've used a 1500 and I'm here to tell you if the 83 is a good video performer the additional money is well spent.

nightflier
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I was just wondering if that expense was more due to licensing pork.

pixelthis
02-27-2009, 01:54 AM

Theres a difference between a firmware update and putting out unvetted equipment
that hasnt really been field tested yet, letting a bunch of morons think they are "special"
by getting something untested that might break at any minute.
AND I have an ATI card "dumbass, what does that have to do with the price of crack hos?:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2009, 05:34 AM
I know you have an ATI card, hence... dumbass.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if I first ask what "unvetted" means, because it isn't in the dictionary (surprise surprise :rolleyes: )

...that hasnt really been field tested yet, letting a bunch of morons think they are "special"
by getting something untested that might break at any minute.
Come out from under your rock and realize that's the way it is in this world these days.

pixelthis
02-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I know you have an ATI card, hence... dumbass.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if I first ask what "unvetted" means, because it isn't in the dictionary (surprise surprise :rolleyes: )

Come out from under your rock and realize that's the way it is in this world these days.

YOU are about to find out how "it is in the world these days" when you are introduced
to your cash register with pictures of hamburgers on it.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
As opposed to the monitors you look at all night with old ladies walking around with the backs of their patient gowns untied? Does that get you off pix?

Mr Peabody
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Come on, Oppo has tested their product. They're just creating a bit of a feeding frenzy as if they need more. Customer feedback could prove valuable as well.

Woochifer
02-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Interesting approach, I wonder why such a small controlled group. They really aren't giving them enough time to run across bugs. Two weeks would be enough to get some user feedback though. I wonder what Oppo would do if more people voted "NO" don't roll out any more. I mean, they can't redesign the unit. I assume this will play SACD?

Is Oppo a U.S. company? Considering the price of their DVD player I'm a bit surprised this unit will cost $499.00. I guess the addition of Blu-ray and internet connectivity adds some cost.

Are you saying that the cost is too high or too low? Their DVD players range from $169 to $400. The BD player is a replacement for Oppo's top of the line DVD player. Remember that this is the cost of participating in their testing program, not necessarily the cost for an actual production unit.

Woochifer
02-27-2009, 07:03 PM
That brings up a good point. Why does adding BR to the player jack up the price so much? I'm not so much questioning it as just wondering. IMO, they need to keep the price low enough to not exceed a decent upconverting SACD-playing player + a decent BR player. Anything over $500 is going to backfire, even if it comes conveniently in one box.

The BDP-83 is replacing the DV-983H, which cost $400. Blu-ray capability only adds $100 to the $400 list price on that unit, if the beta unit pricing remains in place when production models come out.

Mr Peabody
02-27-2009, 07:12 PM
At first I thought it high in comparison but I thought the DVD player that got all the big reviews cost $169.00. But then as I posted later comparing it to other universal and higher quality players, the price is actually still pretty good. But $499.00 isn't that "wow" what a deal factor like the DVD got. It's just that people now expect Oppo to deliver that something for almost nothing product.

RoadRunner6
03-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I find my patience has increased as I grow old. Finally, Panasonic did it right with the model 35 and 55. However, with the Oppo BDP-83 promising a universal BD player, I knew I had to wait. Samdung introduced a BD player before the paint on the prototype had even dried, no thank you.

Oppo seems determined to do it right with the 83. I have signed up for the EAP program. Even if I don't get my name drawn on the second lottery I will patiently wait. For what will unlikely be BD (video and audio) state of the art as well as excellent SD DVD upscaling and SACD audio (and probably DVD-A), I have no problem waiting. At $499 I think it will be a steal!

Gary Murrell, forum member, said in his review at Home Theater Forum:

"..........Closing Thoughts

The Oppo BDP-83 is what I like to call the Lord of the Rings in blu-ray players, it is "The One Player To Rule Them All"! This player is going to make everyone else look bad and I mean real bad. Ease of use, responsiveness, loading times, a/v quality, updates, media player, you name it. A fully featured and stacked package, one that gets my highest recommendation possible............"

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/ht-hardware-high-definition/283340-htf-special-review-upcoming-oppo-bdp-83-profile-2-0-universal-blu-ray-player.html#post3519331

Gonk, beta tester, from AVS forum gives a very comprehensive review:

http://www.prillaman.net/oppobdp83_review.html

RR6

Worf101
03-09-2009, 05:12 AM
I find my patience has increased as I grow old. Finally, Panasonic did it right with the model 35 and 55. However, with the Oppo BDP-83 promising a universal BD player, I knew I had to wait. Samdung introduced a BD player before the paint on the prototype had even dried, no thank you.

Oppo seems determined to do it right with the 83. I have signed up for the EAP program. Even if I don't get my name drawn on the second lottery I will patiently wait. For what will unlikely be BD (video and audio) state of the art as well as excellent SD DVD upscaling and SACD audio (and probably DVD-A), I have no problem waiting. At $499 I think it will be a steal!

Gary Murrell, forum member, said in his review at Home Theater Forum:

"..........Closing Thoughts

The Oppo BDP-83 is what I like to call the Lord of the Rings in blu-ray players, it is "The One Player To Rule Them All"! This player is going to make everyone else look bad and I mean real bad. Ease of use, responsiveness, loading times, a/v quality, updates, media player, you name it. A fully featured and stacked package, one that gets my highest recommendation possible............"

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/ht-hardware-high-definition/283340-htf-special-review-upcoming-oppo-bdp-83-profile-2-0-universal-blu-ray-player.html#post3519331

Gonk, beta tester, from AVS forum gives a very comprehensive review:

http://www.prillaman.net/oppobdp83_review.html

RR6
Thanks for the information. Now off to the woodshed to put my nethers in a vice so I stop thinking about this blasted thing. Dammit, you're killing me.

Da Worfster

PS, I signed up for the EAP. I'm sorry but the kool aid tasted soooo goood...

Mr Peabody
03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
RR6, thanks for the contribution, it's worth a chicklet but I have given you one recently and one must spread it around don't you know. If the BD83 is up to the hype it will make a bunch of us wish we had waited.

blackraven
03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I would like to know if the Oppo will play 2ch SACD and how STD CD and SACD sound through the analog outs. I would like to buy it to replace my Sony BDP-300 and to use as a 2ch SACD player. I guess I'll have to call Oppo.

RoadRunner6
03-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks Mr. P. This comment by Gary Murrell, beta tester, especially caught my attention:

"..........Oppo delivers pretty much the best quality A/V performance there is, what is lacking is that ultimate build quality and the high-end appeal and performance this brings, notice I said "is". The 83 is a complete and total departure from everything you have seen from Oppo before. The player is as solid and well built as a previous Sony ES blu-ray unit I owned.........."

Anyone still question the introductory EAP price of $499? (I would like to see the price of this unit with a Denon label on it)

Here is a link to a FAQ list from a member, Bill McClain, at the AVS forum, . It might answer many questions.

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#what-are-other-useful-resources

RR6

Mr Peabody
03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
The NAD unit which I have yet to hear how it is doing is the closest thing to the Oppo on paper and it's $1,499.00. I don't think it plays any audio beyond CD either. How it does compare though, on paper or as advertised, it has an abundance of features and supposed to be as fast or faster than the PS3. It sounded like the real "next gen" player.

Woochifer
03-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks Mr. P. This comment by Gary Murrell, beta tester, especially caught my attention:

"..........Oppo delivers pretty much the best quality A/V performance there is, what is lacking is that ultimate build quality and the high-end appeal and performance this brings, notice I said "is". The 83 is a complete and total departure from everything you have seen from Oppo before. The player is as solid and well built as a previous Sony ES blu-ray unit I owned.........."

Anyone still question the introductory EAP price of $499? (I would like to see the price of this unit with a Denon label on it)

Might want to check Denon's new offer. If you buy an AV receiver (anything from the $1,200 AVR-2809 and above), you get a Denon DVD-2500BTCI Blu-ray player for free. Should be noted that this model only has digital outputs for video and audio, and was Denon's first Blu-ray offering (i.e., it's likely due for replacement soon). This particular model was introduced last year with a $1,000 price tag, and can now be found for $500.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/17224.cfm

nightflier
03-12-2009, 01:49 PM
The NAD unit which I have yet to hear how it is doing is the closest thing to the Oppo on paper and it's $1,499.00. I don't think it plays any audio beyond CD either. How it does compare though, on paper or as advertised, it has an abundance of features and supposed to be as fast or faster than the PS3. It sounded like the real "next gen" player.

I share your interest in that NAD. My experience with this company has been consistently positive. I had heard about the player some time ago and I really thought it would be the cat's meow, but when I read here that Oppo was also coming out with one at about 1/3 the price, I was pretty surprized. So now there are really 3 universal players out there, and they are all at very different price points. It would really help if there was a feature comparison between the 3 players, or at least between 2 of them. Anybody have a link?

Mr Peabody
03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
The closest place I can think of is www.bluray.com and click on the "players" link. You can click by brand then model. Specifications usually has a pretty good run down if they have retrieved the info to show.