Barenaked Ladies RIP (maybe) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Barenaked Ladies RIP (maybe)

ForeverAutumn
02-25-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm a moderate fan of this band. I'm not a huge fan of their CDs but they put on a killer live show so I've seen them in concert a few times even though I'm not in love with some of the tunes. They won't be the same without Steven Page and I suspect that this is the beginning of the end for BNL.

I remember when they were just starting out and they were booked to play a New Year's Eve show in front of City Hall. The Mayor's office cancelled them from the bill because they thought that the name would offend people. I'm sure that she had no idea at the time how huge they would become. LOL

Lead singer quits Barenaked Ladies after drug bust

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The lead singer of popular Canadian band the Barenaked Ladies, who was charged with drugs offenses in the United States last year, is leaving to pursue a solo career, the group said on Wednesday.

Steven Page, 38, was arrested in July 2008 and charged with drug possession after police found the singer with cocaine at an upstate New York apartment. In October, the charges were reduced to a misdemeanor.

"By mutual agreement, Steven Page will be parting company with the remaining members of Barenaked Ladies," the band said on its Web site, saying Page would be pursuing solo projects.

The five-man group was best known for hit songs such as "One Week", "Pinch Me" and "If I Had a Million Dollars" and received two Grammy nominations. The remaining members of the band plan to stay together.

"These guys are my brothers. We've grown up together over the past twenty years. I love them and wish them all the best in the future," the statement quoted Page as saying. It did not mention the drug bust.

Swish
02-25-2009, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=ForeverAutumn]I'm a moderate fan of this band. I'm not a huge fan of their CDs but they put on a killer live show so I've seen them in concert a few times even though I'm not in love with some of the tunes. They won't be the same without Steven Page and I suspect that this is the beginning of the end for BNL.

I remember when they were just starting out and they were booked to play a New Year's Eve show in front of City Hall. The Mayor's office cancelled them from the bill because they thought that the name would offend people. I'm sure that she had no idea at the time how huge they would become. LOL

Lead singer quits Barenaked Ladies after drug bust

I thought a couple of their songs were mildly amusing (Brian Wilson), but other than that, they just didn't bring much to the table and I couldn't understand their relative fame and decent following. They struck me as rather bland and boring. I certainly won't miss them.

3-LockBox
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I liked the BNL, but only ever owned two CDs, and rarely listen to them. Great pop tunesmiths, but just didn't hold my attention for an entire album. I did hear they put on a great live show as well - couple that to some killer songs and I certainly understand their local popularity, and often wonder why they didn't get wider airplay, back when radio wasn't so rigidly formatted. They were as good as any band doing what they did, which was put out a great pop tune with every album, just not great albums.