Romantic Warrior [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Romantic Warrior

MasterCylinder
02-25-2009, 05:12 AM
As part of my periodic quest to listen to all my old classic albums, tapes and CDs, ROMANTIC WARRIOR always rises to the top five of any recordings I own.

What a fine piece of work this is. I am fortunate to own a Japanese remaster of this album that truly sounds amazing..........especially the Stanley Clarke acoustic and electric bass work, even in the upper registers..........just awesome. I remember being in the middle of music school when this was released (1976) and all my fellow players were completely blown away by it.

I can't believe it has been 32 years since I first bought the LP and I still love every note.

We were already familiar with the incredible writing talent and instrumental mastery achieved by these four guys due to often listening to NO MYSTERY (1975 Grammy for Jazz Album of the Year) and WHERE HAVE I KNOWN YOU BEFORE (1974), both of which were hints of something special to come.

Here is the track listing :

"Medieval Overture" (Corea) – 5:14
"Sorceress" (White) – 7:34
"The Romantic Warrior" (Corea) – 10:52
"Majestic Dance" (Di Meola) – 5:01
"The Magician" (Clarke) – 5:29
"Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant" (Part I & Part II) (Corea) – 11:26

As you can see reflected above, all four band members contributed to the composition of this work............if you do not own this CD or have never heard it, do yourself a great favor and get it...........there is no way you will ever regret spending money for this one.......it is one of the true classic jazz-rock fusion albums.

Hyfi
02-25-2009, 05:52 AM
I am still partial to the very first Return to Forever LP I heard which was No Mystery. Although there are a couple tracks I don't care for, the majority is great. I guess Romantic Warrior would be second on the list.

Have you hear Thunder by Clarke, Wooten, and Miller yet?

MasterCylinder
02-25-2009, 05:56 AM
HyFi :
I have not heard Thunder..........when was it released ?

Hyfi
02-25-2009, 06:48 AM
HyFi :
I have not heard Thunder..........when was it released ?

It came out last year along with their most awesome tour. I saw it in August. PM me your current addy and I can send you a downloaded copy I burnt back to CD for evaluation.

MasterCylinder
02-25-2009, 07:04 AM
PM me your current addy and I can send you a downloaded copy I burnt back to CD for evaluation.

Very nice.............thanks much.

Finch Platte
02-25-2009, 07:30 AM
I love this disc as well. RtF released the 2-disc Anthology a while back, which has all of RW on it, plus other tracks. Remixed, and it sounds great.

Wonder if there's going to be a DVD from the 2008 tour?

richmon
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Hey HiFi, I tried to send you a private message, but it sez your mailbox is full and cannot accept new messages. Might want to do a bit of spring cleaning. Anywave:
Thought you might be interested in Keith Emerson Band @ the Colonial in Phoenixville Saturday 6/6.

The new album is an excellent return to form, I think it's as good as Trilogy. I assume they be doing some old chestnuts from the ELP catalog as well as a big bunch of the new album. I'm going to the Birchmere show in Alexandria Va on 6/2. Seems this is only a small east coast tour and there's no info on keithemerson.com about any of the tour dates.

Hyfi
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey HiFi, I tried to send you a private message, but it sez your mailbox is full and cannot accept new messages. Might want to do a bit of spring cleaning. Anywave:
Thought you might be interested in Keith Emerson Band @ the Colonial in Phoenixville Saturday 6/6.

The new album is an excellent return to form, I think it's as good as Trilogy. I assume they be doing some old chestnuts from the ELP catalog as well as a big bunch of the new album. I'm going to the Birchmere show in Alexandria Va on 6/2. Seems this is only a small east coast tour and there's no info on keithemerson.com about any of the tour dates.

Did some cleaning. Didn't look full but I deleted plenty of old ones. Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm looking into it. The show is not listed for 6/6. Do you have a link with any info?

Edit: Colonial website does not have a listing yet but most shows are about $30. Leo Kottke is gonna be there also on April 4.

richmon
02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=Hyfi] Do you have a link with any info?

A buddy is on their emailing list and just today got notified, maybe a call to the box office would say when tickets go on sale?

Really weird how poorly this is being promoted, nothing on his website. Unless you're on the 'notify about upcoming events' list for a venue, you'd never know about any of these dates:
June 2 - Birchmere, Alexandria Va
June 3 - Rams Head, Annapolis
June 6 - Colonial Theater - Phoenixville, PA
June 9 - Boston - Regent Theater, Arlington
June 12 - NYC - BB KIngs
June 13 - Long Island - IMAC Theater
June 14 - The Chance, Poughkeepsie, NY
June 20 - Showcase Live, Foxboro, MA

Mr Peabody
02-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Romantic Warrior is my favorite. Al Dimeola's album Elegant Gypsy gets consistent attention from me as well.

Within the last year I discovered Brand X. If you haven't heard them you might want to check them out. Phil Collins is the drummer on some of the titles but it's not like anything you've ever heard from him before.

Hyfi
02-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Romantic Warrior is my favorite. Al Dimeola's album Elegant Gypsy gets consistent attention from me as well.

Within the last year I discovered Brand X. If you haven't heard them you might want to check them out. Phil Collins is the drummer on some of the titles but it's not like anything you've ever heard from him before.

Been listening to BrandX for years. I have Unorthodox Behavior and Livestock. This is Collins at his best drumming par to his vocals with Genesis prior to going commercial with his solo for cash albums.

Finch Platte
02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Been listening to BrandX for years. I have Unorthodox Behavior and Livestock. This is Collins at his best drumming par to his vocals with Genesis prior to going commercial with his solo for cash albums.

Me, too. They have other drummers as well on other discs and they are quite competent. :22: Phil does a little singing on a few songs, too.

I have almost all the Brand X discs, so if you'd like to fill in some gaps (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:gifyxqw5ldde~T2), let me know.

Those 2-star ratings? *coffbullsh!tcoff*

Mr Peabody
02-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I have Morroccon Roll on disc and something on vinyl, Unorthodox Behavior sounds familiar but I'm sure the vinyl is one without Phil. I know I will be odd man out but I actually like Phil's solo work and am not really much of a Genesis fan. I do like the album I believe from the 80's with all the shapes on the front, it has that song Oh Mama and By The Sea.

I stopped in CC today they've been offering 60% off. I missed all the good movies but did pick out of the CD's Rick Braun & Richard Elliott, R&R. I haven't tracked it all the way through yet but it sounds pretty good so far.

Hyfi
02-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I have Morroccon Roll on disc and something on vinyl, Unorthodox Behavior sounds familiar but I'm sure the vinyl is one without Phil. I know I will be odd man out but I actually like Phil's solo work and am not really much of a Genesis fan. I do like the album I believe from the 80's with all the shapes on the front, it has that song Oh Mama and By The Sea.

I stopped in CC today they've been offering 60% off. I missed all the good movies but did pick out of the CD's Rick Braun & Richard Elliott, R&R. I haven't tracked it all the way through yet but it sounds pretty good so far.

My real liking of Genesis stops with And Then There Were Three. Don't care for much of PC solo disks. Too much vocals and says the the same things over and over. I don't think he plays much drums on his solo works either.

I have a few Rick Braun CDs which are good but seem to have drum tracks or a boring drummer. I have Richard Elliot on a Craig Chaquico disk. I saw all three of them in a show An Evening of Guitar and Sax along with Peter White. We were in the 8th row and the two seats were empty in front of us. Braun sat down and played there as he entered from the rear. When Chaquico came out and played, he came down into the crowd and stood on the two seats and played the whole of Find Your Way Back.

Dave_G
03-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I read that an official dvd was to be released from this tour, but get your wallets/purses warmed up, looks like a high dollar affair, but probably worth every penny. I saw the original reunion tour of RTF years ago and indeed it was a sound/sight to behold.

Dave

BradH
03-01-2009, 01:10 PM
What the hell? Geezer, is that you? And Jim Clark in the same week.

Dave_G
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Ya, man, it's me, hope you are well. Been a while...

Dave