Has anyone here been to a Jars of Clay show? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here been to a Jars of Clay show?

Hyfi
02-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Just curious. I have a bunch of JOC on some comps and have heard them on the radio. They are doing a show at the Keswick that is already sold out. I was wondering do they sidetrack into a church service or do they stick to the music? I wouldn't mind getting tickets the next time around but only if they don't get all churchy during the show.

Finch Platte
02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Haa haa haa haa haa ha ha haha ha haha ha haha ha haha ha haha ha ha

Hyfi
02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Haa haa haa haa haa ha ha haha ha haha ha haha ha haha ha haha ha ha
Don't you mean Bwa ha ha ha?:confused5:

Finch Platte
02-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Don't you mean Bwa ha ha ha?:confused5:

You know, I've sounded that out and I never go Bwa. Never heard anyone who has.

Must be an Internets thing. :skep:

Mr Peabody
02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
I haven't but I wouldn't think they'd do that since their lyrics aren't overly Christian. You know what I mean they are more general positive and spiritual than some of the bands I've heard like Casting Crowns. I like JOC's break through album but their follow up stunk.

3-LockBox
02-24-2009, 10:57 PM
I liked their 'break through' album as well, but somewhere along the line they forgot what made them stand out in the first place, and that was that they were a rock band on that first album. They also had the help of one Adrian Belew, who is fairly adept at mixing divergent styles and making it sound cohesive, like he did on their hit Flood. After that hit album, they turned into a neo-folk band not unlike any other purposely sedate CCM act of the '90s and early '00s.

I was kinda excited about the new crop of alt-christian acts that came out in the early '90s (PFR, Petra, DC Talk, Newsboys and of course, Jars). These acts even made it to some radio stations' playlist. But it was suddenly as if they had to apologize for all that secular success, so they seemed to reel in the edgy alt-rock sound that made them successful, and one by one these acts blended into the praise crowd.

I did hear a few tracks off their last effort, called Good Monsters, and they do seem to have returned to their rock roots. I didn't know who it was until I asked, but did hear some obvious Christian themes. I've meant to look into that album more, cuz I was intrigued enough, but just never made the effort (I'm quite backslidden you know).

I don't know anyone who has attended one of their concerts, to actually answer your question ;) It depends on the venue prolly, and if its sponsored by some Christian organization. I couldn't see going to a CCM rock band's concert and not expecting some form of devotional or invocational break, and you'll have to put up with that raucous crowd! :3:

Hyfi
02-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the input, you too Finch!

Maybe I will check out their show next time around. This world needs a bit more uplifting, spiritual but non-religious music.

The No Dogma and Sunday Morning Java comps still get Sunday playtime and have a lot of great tunes on them.

Mr Peabody
02-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Have you guys heard Fireflight? Female singer and very good band. Some of their songs remind me a bit of Trapt. The songs are really catchy though, I'm not sure why they haven't gotten air play. I should add, that I know of.

Speaking of older CC bands, anyone remember Stryper? Yeah baby! I remember them and Pat Boone actually appeared on a day time talk show, Boone was sort of promoting them. Stryper and Motley Crew almost toured under the title The Heaven and Hell tour. Gotta love those 80's.

Check out Fireflight though.