moving to a 2ch setup, need speaker advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : moving to a 2ch setup, need speaker advice

f0rge
02-24-2009, 08:29 AM
a rather massive change in my current living circumstances will shortly require me to pack up my deftechs as they are too large and look into getting some bookshelf speakers.

i have been looking in the new and used market and my budget is somewhere around $500usd/$600cdn (i'm located in toronto, canada)

i'm leaning towards a pair of B&W 602 S3's, i listened to them when i originally bought my deftechs but i was setting up primarily for HT so i didnt buy them. i'm not dead set on them but it's hard to argue they are good speakers. i've been meaning to go down to my local Paradigm dealer and try out some Mini/Titan Monitors to see how they measure up. 685s are too expensive in canada at over $800

these speakers will not be run with a sub, so they need to have decent bass. they will most likely be powered by my Denon 3808. source will be my nad cd player or digital media.

can anyone recommend something else to look at? the kicker is that i'm not buying speakers i have never heard, so i dont think audiogon or ebay is going to cut it.

my music tastes vary wildly from thrash metal to 80's rock/pop and even some rap. no jazz no classical.

Luvin Da Blues
02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Certainly look at PSB Image series also..

Duds
02-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Von Schweikert VR-1's

blackraven
02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Look fo a pair of used NHT Classic Three's. Excellent bass but not as crisp treble as the B&W 685's. The NHT's have a slightly warmer less fatiguing sound.

Also consider a pair of Monitor Audio S2's or RS2's

topspeed
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
If you aren't using a sub, you really should consider the VR1, whether you've heard it or not. There a gazillion reviews on it if that helps you feel more confident with your decision.

The only other one I'd consider is the Usher 718. Beautifully built, musically satisfying, and the only other bookshelf I've heard that can hang with the VR1 dynamically.

Kevio
02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
No speaker advice to offer but I wish you good luck with the massive changes.

f0rge
02-25-2009, 05:45 AM
Von Schweikert VR-1's

unfortunately the nearest dealer in canada is like a thousand miles away.

f0rge
02-25-2009, 05:46 AM
No speaker advice to offer but I wish you good luck with the massive changes.

lol thanks

Feanor
02-25-2009, 05:54 AM
unfortunately the nearest dealer in canada is like a thousand miles away.

Re. Von Schweikert. There's a dealer here in London, Ontario, Target Hifi (http://www.targethifi.com/products.html), less than 150 miles. :thumbsup:

Actually, they carry several lines of speakers, including PSB -- you could compare.

f0rge
02-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Re. Von Schweikert. There's a dealer here in London, Ontario, Target Hifi (http://www.targethifi.com/products.html), less than 150 miles. :thumbsup:

Actually, they carry several lines of speakers, including PSB -- you could compare.

oh sweet, thanks!

Duds
02-25-2009, 08:09 AM
The African Hazelwood finish is beautiful!!!

oh sweet, thanks!

Feanor
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
oh sweet, thanks!

If you decide to come to London for a listen, email me first. Maybe we could arrange for you to come listen to my setup.

topspeed
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately, Albert Von Schweikert terminated the "commercial" line a few years ago and is only selling the "custom" line now. What that means is you'd better bring your financial advisor when you audition his speakers because the VR1, VR2, and VR4jr are no longer in production. Instead of introducting people to the VSA sound with the $1k VR1's, the price of admission now starts with the VR4sr's which command an eye watering $14,000! :mad5:

Therefore, your only resource for VR1's is the used market such as agon. Think of it this way; because the production was limited, if you don't like the speaker (which would be hard to believe), you can always sell it very quickly and get your investment back. Think of it as an extended home trial with no strings attached.

Whatever you do choose, I hope the beautiful music they provide eases your transition. Good luck!

Duds
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Shame on him!

what's the cheapest VS sub cost these days?

Unfortunately, Albert Von Schweikert terminated the "commercial" line a few years ago and is only selling the "custom" line now. What that means is you'd better bring your financial advisor when you audition his speakers because the VR1, VR2, and VR4jr are no longer in production. Instead of introducting people to the VSA sound with the $1k VR1's, the price of admission now starts with the VR4sr's which command an eye watering $14,000! :mad5:

Therefore, your only resource for VR1's is the used market such as agon. Think of it this way; because the production was limited, if you don't like the speaker (which would be hard to believe), you can always sell it very quickly and get your investment back. Think of it as an extended home trial with no strings attached.

Whatever you do choose, I hope the beautiful music they provide eases your transition. Good luck!

Mark111867
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Based on the types of music you mentioned that you listen to, Klipsch might be a good fit. If you are going used, a pair of Revel Concerta M12's would be a good fit as well. Good luck.

-Mark

f0rge
02-25-2009, 11:38 AM
that sucks about the VSA's...but i think they would have been out of my price range even used.

Duds
02-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I would still check that Canadian dealer listed above, maybe they still have a pair or two left.

Also, the VR-1's msrp was $1000 u.s. I got mine for $650 brand new, and the stands for $150, so dont be scared away by the msrp

that sucks about the VSA's...but i think they would have been out of my price range even used.

luvtolisten
02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
a rather massive change in my current living circumstances will shortly require me to pack up my deftechs as they are too large and look into getting some bookshelf speakers.

i have been looking in the new and used market and my budget is somewhere around $500usd/$600cdn (i'm located in toronto, canada)

i'm leaning towards a pair of B&W 602 S3's, i listened to them when i originally bought my deftechs but i was setting up primarily for HT so i didnt buy them. i'm not dead set on them but it's hard to argue they are good speakers. i've been meaning to go down to my local Paradigm dealer and try out some Mini/Titan Monitors to see how they measure up. 685s are too expensive in canada at over $800

these speakers will not be run with a sub, so they need to have decent bass. they will most likely be powered by my Denon 3808. source will be my nad cd player or digital media.

can anyone recommend something else to look at? the kicker is that i'm not buying speakers i have never heard, so i dont think audiogon or ebay is going to cut it.

my music tastes vary wildly from thrash metal to 80's rock/pop and even some rap. no jazz no classical.

I recently bought a pair of Paradigm Titians for $348 (American) here:
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PRDTITANMONV5R
and I really like them!

RGA
02-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I would look into the following for your price range. Omega loudspeakers, Audio Note AX Two, Wharfedale Diamonds. The AX Two is the best sub $1500 loudspeaker I've heard. The Omega line I have not heard but are supposed to be quite good. Wharfedale is a bit cheaper and good value compared to a lot of stuff.

Omega though may be easier to get and a little more off the beaten track.
http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/

luvtolisten
02-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I would look into the following for your price range. Omega loudspeakers, Audio Note AX Two, Wharfedale Diamonds. The AX Two is the best sub $1500 loudspeaker I've heard. The Omega line I have not heard but are supposed to be quite good. Wharfedale is a bit cheaper and good value compared to a lot of stuff.

Omega though may be easier to get and a little more off the beaten track.
http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/

I've never heard the Omega's but I do own a pair of Wharfedale EVO 10's, the next line up from the Diamonds. I would say they were similiar the Paradigm' Titans, but not as forward sounding. Just takes a while, (60hrs+) for the Wharfedales to break in.They can be had for $380/pr at:

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/49a5f3880004a5522740ac1003410618/Product/View/2870&2D3

luvtolisten
02-27-2009, 01:53 PM
I've never heard the Omega's but I do own a pair of Wharfedale EVO 10's, the next line up from the Diamonds. I would say they were similiar the Paradigm' Titans, but not as forward sounding. Just takes a while, (60hrs+) for the Wharfedales to break in.They can be had for $380/pr at:

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/49a5f3880004a5522740ac1003410618/Product/View/2870&2D3

the Diamond 8.4's are a nice speaker also, for $250 pr at the same website:
If you should go that route, keep in mind they need 100-120hrs. burn in time for the bass to fully open up. Audio Reveiw had some favorable reviews here.