Looking for earbuds, what's your favorite? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for earbuds, what's your favorite?

Mr Peabody
02-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I know we've probably been down this road before but I am still considering getting some in the ear isolation earbuds. What can I find for $150.00 or less that comes close to sounding like my HD-600's? I set a budget because these will only be used for mp3 on public transportation.

I see some good prices on the Shure E210 but many claim they are a bit bass shy even when the buds are in good position. True? I don't want exaggerated bass like Grado but I don't want overly bright like Sony, just good sound like Sennheiser. I bought my daughter a pair of Senn's, I think CX300 earbuds and even after broke in I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Even if they cost $30.00. The midrange sounded like those cheap buds you get for free with the mp3 player. I'm used to getting good performance for the money from Sennheiser. I wonder if their more expensive buds are better?

Are Bose earbuds as bad as their speakers?

02audionoob
02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I've always liked BOSE headphones, including the in-ear phones. It's like it's not the same company as the loudspeakers.

audio amateur
02-24-2009, 03:15 AM
I own CX-300s and I'm quite happy with their perfomance. Bass also is excellent when they're fitted correctly.

bubbagump
02-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Sony MDR-E829V or Sennheiser MX 660. Inexpensive, inline volume control, both sound great and if you snag one and lose a channel, it's not a financial hardship to replace. Both also let you hear enough background noise to stay out of trouble (ie,. traffic, cyclists...). I prefer the Sony for it's better bass response. I like to think the point of diminishing returns starts at about this point.

IBSTORMIN
02-24-2009, 02:00 PM
I see some good prices on the Shure E210 but many claim they are a bit bass shy even when the buds are in good position. True? I don't want exaggerated bass like Grado but I don't want overly bright like Sony, just good sound like Sennheiser.

I've had the older E2c but did the upgrade to the E5c two way. AFTER I bought those and sold the E2c I found the triple flange from Shure made the bass clearer and stronger on the E5c. Of course then I wondered if the E2c would have been good enough with the triple flange but did not have them to try. The E5c is extended on both ends compared to the E2c so I'm glad I got them. One thing I noticed when I first used the triple flange was that the treble was muted. I actually cut the front flange off to bring the earphone closer to my eardrum and it came back without ruining the bass. They also don't stick way out of your ear either.
Search "shure triple flange" in E-bay and you'll see the flanges.

I doubt the E2 will sound like your senn600 but they are pretty close to my senn 280pro.

Kevio
02-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I love my Etymotic ER6s on planes, trains and busses. I think there're a bit more than $150 though.

Mr Peabody
02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Did the E110, 210 510 etc take the place of the e2c/5c etc.?

Thanks for the input, guys.

IBSTORMIN
02-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Did the E110, 210 510 etc take the place of the e2c/5c etc.?

Thanks for the input, guys.

Yes, they just extended the number. I believe one of the 500 series has a double woofer for more bass. My E5c only has one but the bass is clean. I'd think with two it might be too much.:3:

captjamo
06-02-2009, 05:22 AM
I would like to post a short review of my Sure SE530's I purchased a couple of months ago at Streamline Audio.com for 277.00 no tax and free shipping. Once I saw the price this low for earbuds that headroom.com (the headphone geeks) claims are in their ten best of all time. I had to go for a pair. They have totally exceeded all expectations. I use them during cardio exercise 3 to 4 times a week (wear a sweatband to protect your investment) and you will be fine. I have discovered real aural pleasure from mainly two free weekly podcasts, and a few more, but mostly I listen to DJ Tiesto's Radio 538 Trance and Progressive podcast about 55 minutes long and Armin VanBuuren's Official State of Trance podcast about 30 minutes. The audio is compressed but still is very good quality and best of all free. These guys and the SE530's have me looking forward to each workout session. I dare any of you to try what I am telling you here. The advantage of truly looking forward to workouts is not to be under estimated. What I do is fitness cycle and listen to my buds connected to a 3rd gen Nano. The above being said let me tell you my impression of Sure SE530's. I have owned many buds but the best were Sure E3C's, SE420's, and now the 530's. BTW my wife has a death grip on my excellent sounding 420's. Sure SE530's are hands down the best buds I have ever owned. They have perfectly balanced sound thru the entire audible range. They are smooth with plenty of punch (velvet sledgehammer effect). They are very sensitive and achieve reference level listening very easily. They are never muddy. The highs have excellent roll on, they do not roll off like E3C's did. Vocals are clear and foreground oriented. These phones fit better than any others that I have owned. They are flush in my ears making it possible to wear a motorcycle helmet. If you have a well broken in pair of these phones you can put all your favorite reference material thru them then head in for your home theater speaker audition and you will be able to me wonderfully critical of expensive speakers you may be contemplating purchasing. They are that good. Owning these phones will have you playing thru your entire music library over and over again I assure you. Times are tough, I know, but if you can muster the cash I am confident you will be just like me and consider these phones one of your all time favorite gadget purchases :thumbsup:

Feanor
06-02-2009, 05:36 AM
I know we've probably been down this road before but I am still considering getting some in the ear isolation earbuds. What can I find for $150.00 or less that comes close to sounding like my HD-600's? I set a budget because these will only be used for mp3 on public transportation.

I see some good prices on the Shure E210 but many claim they are a bit bass shy even when the buds are in good position. True? ...

I have the Shure E210 (http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/in-ear-monitor/shure-se210-black.php). Yes, they are definitely bass-shy.

They do have fine mid range and highs however, and I make do with them very well listening through them to my iPod Mini while walking or bus riding to work. Of course, I listen mainly to chamber music and non-music podcasts. :biggrin5:

Mingus
09-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Anyone know anything about AKG earbuds. I just order one. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

poppachubby
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Makin the jump huh? Peabody, I have no use for earbuds/IEM's. The only virtues are compactness and efficiency, but that's just me. Have you checked the new HD-218? They are closed back and offer a good amount of isolation. Enough to block out the steady acceleration and braking of a bus? Probably not, but please put these on your radar. I tested a pair and in a busy store with music in the background they isolated quite nicely in combination with the music. Only 24 ohm so they drive real easy and seperate quite well, not too bassy either. My only beef is they are supra fit. Wish I could help you with an earbud suggestion but I'm as clueless as a WalMart electronics clerk...Chubbs

Review:
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/earpad/sennheiser-hd-218.phpp

Purchase:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sennheiser-HD218-HD-218-Gaming-iPod-Stereo-Headphones_W0QQitemZ390081223803QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZOther_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item5ad2a71c7b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

poppachubby
09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Anyone know anything about AKG earbuds. I just order one. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

As far as earbuds go I've heard good things about AKG Mingus. I LOVE AKG! But have never worn any of their earbuds, I'm sure you're in for a treat. Please post a thread with your findings, I would love to read it... :3:

Auricauricle
09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I usually don't use earbuds but I do have a pair (M-Audio IE 10), which I use for listening to Minidiscs. The sound is quite clear and not overly heavy, which I have experienced with other units. This may be due, in part to my adjustment of various frequencies at the player's controls and not the phones; in my experience, their placement can play a major role in the way music is transmitted to the ear and the innards within....

As far as AKG's phones go, I would expect them to be very acceptable. I can't imagine AKG to go half cocked towards such a project. One thing that made the M's attractive was an assortment of pliable ear-pieces to accomodate various shapes of pinnas and auditory canals.

Have you looked into the B&O line, yet, Mr. P?

Mr Peabody
09-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Didn't I post on this thread about AKG? It could have been another. Any way I have a pair of the AKG buds. They will require break in. They have a sound that most people will love, extended highs and heavy bass response. I personally would have given up a bit of the bass for some additional midrange, in other words a bit flatter response. Some songs sounds like the singer is pushed into the background. Overall they are good at their price and I feel they were made for the masses which will love them. Nice big sound stage too. Did you get the silver ones? I think they only have one model. I like their little case the buds fit in as well.

PChubby, what do you know of Wal-Mart in London? Or, is that another London than England?

Auric, I didn't know B&O got into the headphone area. I actually don't know much about B&O except they get a lot of attention over their looks. I get the impression they are bit like Bose.

poppachubby
09-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Peabody I am from Toronto Canada but I have moved to London, ON, Canada. When the brits arrived here they were home sick so they named it London and the river Thames.

Mingus
09-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I think there's only one model, two colors - silver or white.

Auricauricle
09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I like earbuds at times, but when I try to roll 'em they're too sticky and taste just awful! God, I am hungry...!

Mr Peabody
09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Mingus, be sure to let us know how you like the new buds. I'd be interested in hearing another opinion of them.

In the $99.00 and less range my favorites are the buds by Creative Labs. Aurvana I think they're called. My friend had a pair so I got a short listen. Amazon has hundreds of different buds. Klipsch even makes some. I'd love to hear those just to satisfy my curiosity.

captjamo
09-04-2009, 06:47 AM
:thumbsup: I have owned a pair of Sure SE530's for a year or so now and they are my all time favorite buds. They produce the best sound I have ever heard. They start at 264.00 and free shipping at Amazon. Steep I know but not like they were priced. I will never be without these phones as long as my ears are healthy. They play a huge role in my motivation to work out. Seriously.

poppachubby
09-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Mingus, be sure to let us know how you like the new buds. I'd be interested in hearing another opinion of them.

In the $99.00 and less range my favorites are the buds by Creative Labs. Aurvana I think they're called. My friend had a pair so I got a short listen. Amazon has hundreds of different buds. Klipsch even makes some. I'd love to hear those just to satisfy my curiosity.

Have you used a full size set from Creative Peabody? This is one brand I have never sampled cans from. The $100 model looks really nice, I think it's "Aurvana"? Anyhow, if you've seen my thread in the analog room then you know I'm a HUGE Creative fan right now...I think I might just have to buy a new set from Creative and try 'em...

BTW, did my Senn headphone rant even put a dent in your thinking?

Mr Peabody
09-05-2009, 10:16 AM
I have only heard the creative buds. I should have gotten a pair but I got to looking at all the good prices on Amazon and saw the AKG and decided to go that way to save some money. I'm not sorry, the AKG are good, but the Creative are more balanced and what I'd call audiophile.

Either the rant didn't dent or I must have missed it. I'm currently sitting good on headphones though. I did buy my daughter a set of their work out phones, the narly green ones. They're pretty decent and I guess compared to other portable in their price Senn doesn't do so bad but I'm not as impressed with the portable stuff as with the HD series. I don't know if they try to tailor the sound toward portable or if they haven't heard of "trickle down technology". My older daughter has a pair of the Senn ear buds and I tried breaking them in for her in hopes of getting the midrange right. The breaking in helped the overall sound but the nasally midrange I wouldn't be able to tolerate. She can't tell the difference and as long as the bass is good :) But these little things are fading my enthusiasm for the brand. I used to think they couldn't do no wrong. My fold up portables sound very good, maybe Senn just hasn't gotten the in ear type right yet.

Mingus
09-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Just got the AKGs from Amazon. The AKGs is a very pleasing sounding earbuds weather listening at low or high volumes. The first thing I notice is the strong bass. The mids and highs sounded very smooth with a pretty large sound stage. Overall, this is a very good purchase especially for under $40.

Mykey2019
08-22-2019, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know which is the best gadget among those listed on this site?
Gadget reviews (https://meritmeter.com/):)

Mikolp
09-16-2020, 10:04 AM
I din`t know,because I`m also trying to find

Boluker
09-16-2020, 10:07 AM
Mifo 05